Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mission Feedback: Constitution vs Guerriere
02-27-2014, 08:21 AM
Mission Feedback: Constitution vs Guerriere
Please give this new mission a try when you get a chance. I changed a lot of the stats on the ships (about 2-3x more hit points), so am looking for feedback. Are ships too beefy with said changes? Do you like the Carronades?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2014, 05:40 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 05:43 AM by TheShadowArmy.)
RE: Mission Feedback: Constitution vs Guerriere
I tried the mission and I liked it. I think you should include more historical missions. I have a question though: Wasn't this between the Americans and British? In Naval Tactics, the description of the battle says British and Americans, but there is no British flag. In it's place is a Spanish/French/someone else's flag. Did I miss something? I like the changes made!
03-10-2014, 06:19 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 06:20 AM by rocco.)
(03-10-2014 05:40 AM)TheShadowArmy Wrote:  I tried the mission and I liked it. I think you should include more historical missions. I have a question though: Wasn't this between the Americans and British? In Naval Tactics, the description of the battle says British and Americans, but there is no British flag. In it's place is a Spanish/French/someone else's flag. Did I miss something? I like the changes made!

Its a bug introduced last patch, which is fixed in the next patch coming tonight. Thanks!

I will be adding one or two more historical missions before release, and (hopefully) adding even more post release.
04-07-2014, 11:47 PM
The big problem I found with this mission is that the ships are so tough that they can often repair more than your max damage, unless you're at pretty short range. I ran into the turn limit several times trying to track down and finish off the Constitution.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H. L. Mencken
06-07-2014, 02:27 AM
Out of curiosity, has anyone actually WON this mission as the Guerriere yet?

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
06-09-2014, 08:39 AM
This seems like it might need some kind of balancing to give the Guerriere a better chance. So far, I've won every game as the constitution and lost every game as the guerriere. As the constitution, you have more hull/armor, better weapons, more crew etc. You can sit and blast them down with nothing but round shot etc, bar shot their sails down till they cant move anymore then blast them down, or my personal favorite, take out the mast then walk up and board em a couple of times to capture without ever needing grapeshot due to the massive difference in crew numbers. Regardless, I've so far never managed to even come close to winning as the guerriere.

06-11-2014, 04:46 AM
So far I have been taking the stance that the historical missions are as close to "history" as we can make them; therefor, they will always inherently be imbalanced as naval combat was often decided prior to cannon fire. In the specific example of Constitution vs Guerriere, the Guerriere was an older ship actually heading in to dock for repairs and maintenance; she lost her main mast in the combat due as much to wood rot as they did to cannon fire. One cannot "balance" the scenario without breaking historical accuracy.
06-11-2014, 07:19 AM
(06-11-2014 04:46 AM)rocco Wrote:  So far I have been taking the stance that the historical missions are as close to "history" as we can make them; therefor, they will always inherently be imbalanced as naval combat was often decided prior to cannon fire. In the specific example of Constitution vs Guerriere, the Guerriere was an older ship actually heading in to dock for repairs and maintenance; she lost her main mast in the combat due as much to wood rot as they did to cannon fire. One cannot "balance" the scenario without breaking historical accuracy.

Maybe we need some historical missions where the smaller/disadvantaged ship won? Then that side can be given a captain's card/cards to help them out that some way relates to HOW they managed to pull it off IRL.