Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Noob question
04-17-2014, 06:37 AM
Noob question
I just recently bought the game and started playing. I used to play MOO way back in the day, so I thought this would be fun. Seems so, but I have at least one dumb question...

1. How do you build a star base II (or 3)? I have star base Is everywhere, but have no idea how to upgrade them.
2. In the colored grid view, what is the significance of the colors? Seems like civilizations, but my home system is deep within the area of another race. No idea how that happened. It also seems to have no effect on anything.

Help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2014, 07:46 AM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2014 07:48 AM by Davabled.)
RE: Noob question
1) You first have to research the Starbase II tech, located in the Astro tech section, then after building a Starbase I at a system, Starbase II will then be available to build. Then research Starbase III, and you will be able to build them after first building a Starbase II

2) I'm not entirely sure, but the color represents the "influence" of the race, based I think, on a combination of population and fuel range. I think it's supposed to also give an idea of how easily it will be to spy on another empire, if they have systems within or near your color. In any case, this question does need a clearer answer in the help file as it's been asked a few times and we've all pretty much just had to guess at an answer.
04-17-2014, 06:35 PM
1) Davabled is correct.

2) I was under the impression that the colored areas show the area that a standard ship (without extra fuel) could travel to. I'm sure this is true at the beginning of a game. After the colors start mixing is where it gets confusing.

TimHobbit

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
- Will Rogers, 1879 – 1935
04-17-2014, 10:38 PM
According to Rocco, "Fuel cell range and planets colonized are the main contributing factors for the influence map. These values are placed on a gird for all empires, and then uses a dispersal algorithm to expand to fill the map. For your color to show in a spot, your influence for that spot needs to be stronger than everyone else's influence in that spot ( ie, proximity of that spot to your planets taking into account fleet range)."

You like to see your color? Research fuel cells and colonize planets deep in enemy territory. Of course, having nice fuel cell tech won't keep your opponent from taking that system in their territory.

If you are adjacent to an opponent with a similar number of planets, and their color spills unevenly into your territory, assume they have better fuel tech than you do.
04-20-2014, 10:16 PM
(04-17-2014 10:38 PM)Diebo Wrote:  According to Rocco, "Fuel cell range and planets colonized are the main contributing factors for the influence map. These values are placed on a gird for all empires, and then uses a dispersal algorithm to expand to fill the map. For your color to show in a spot, your influence for that spot needs to be stronger than everyone else's influence in that spot ( ie, proximity of that spot to your planets taking into account fleet range)."

You like to see your color? Research fuel cells and colonize planets deep in enemy territory. Of course, having nice fuel cell tech won't keep your opponent from taking that system in their territory.

If you are adjacent to an opponent with a similar number of planets, and their color spills unevenly into your territory, assume they have better fuel tech than you do.

Thanks all for the info. I figured out the star base thing once I got to the point in the game where I had the tech available. The color still confuses me, because my capital is still deep in an ally's color, despite all three planets being colonized, two being Gaias and despite me having pretty advanced fuel tech and no opponents systems close. There is one opponent system about 8 parsecs away.
04-23-2014, 12:57 AM
(04-20-2014 10:16 PM)Gudin Wrote:  Thanks all for the info. I figured out the star base thing once I got to the point in the game where I had the tech available. The color still confuses me, because my capital is still deep in an ally's color, despite all three planets being colonized, two being Gaias and despite me having pretty advanced fuel tech and no opponents systems close. There is one opponent system about 8 parsecs away.

I'm glad you did! I use Excel. I couldn't figure out how you got your result, was at a complete loss.
04-23-2014, 05:26 AM
(04-20-2014 10:16 PM)Gudin Wrote:  
(04-17-2014 10:38 PM)Diebo Wrote:  According to Rocco, "Fuel cell range and planets colonized are the main contributing factors for the influence map. These values are placed on a gird for all empires, and then uses a dispersal algorithm to expand to fill the map. For your color to show in a spot, your influence for that spot needs to be stronger than everyone else's influence in that spot ( ie, proximity of that spot to your planets taking into account fleet range)."

Thanks all for the info. I figured out the star base thing once I got to the point in the game where I had the tech available. The color still confuses me, because my capital is still deep in an ally's color, despite all three planets being colonized, two being Gaias and despite me having pretty advanced fuel tech and no opponents systems close. There is one opponent system about 8 parsecs away.

8 Parsecs is pretty close. If the only system you have is your home system, and you are at the point in the game where you can turn your planets into Gaia, then there's a good chance your opponent has colonized the majority of the galaxy, and as such your 1 system wouldn't be enough to push their color away.
04-23-2014, 08:35 AM
Gudin,

You know if the colors bother you, you can always turn them off, using toggle in upper left. ;-)

TimHobbit

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
- Will Rogers, 1879 – 1935