Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hi all
05-15-2014, 01:27 AM
Hi all
I've just bought Naval Tactics and learning how to play it. It's quite different from Starbase Orion. Tips are welcome.

Game Center: Cancuino
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2014, 01:54 AM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2014 02:16 AM by rocco.)
RE: Hi all
(05-15-2014 01:27 AM)Cancuino Wrote:  I've just bought Naval Tactics and learning how to play it. It's quite different from Starbase Orion. Tips are welcome.

Yes, it is definitely a different game Smile

• Use your crew focuses (sailing, repairs, gunnery); especially remember to set gunnery before firing.

• Protect the bow (front of the ship) and stern (back of the ship) of your ships as they are the weakest; you don't want to charge straight into an opposing line of ships with their broadsides (the sides with all the guns) facing you.

• Maneuver such that you have more "firing arcs" on your opponents ships than they do; easier said than done, but the side which can fire more broadsides in concentration will have the advantage. The traditional "battle line" of ships is one way to do this.

• Block for your wounded ships; ships cannot fire through other ships, so if you can position one of your wounded ships behind another ship you can protect it for a bit.
05-15-2014, 02:23 AM
(05-15-2014 01:27 AM)Cancuino Wrote:  I've just bought Naval Tactics and learning how to play it. It's quite different from Starbase Orion. Tips are welcome.

Downloaded the game this morning as well... Congrats Rocco. The US store didn't update their indexes at the time, so I couldn't search for it by name, had to go through the company/products links, but it did correct shortly afterwards.

Looking forward to spending time with it tonight, and evangelizing with friends too.

GC ID - alzdragon, GMT-6. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - alzdragon, NT ID - alzdragon
05-15-2014, 02:45 AM
(05-15-2014 01:54 AM)rocco Wrote:  

Yes, it is definitely a different game Smile

• Use your crew focuses (sailing, repairs, gunnery); especially remember to set gunnery before firing.

• Protect the bow (front of the ship) and stern (back of the ship) of your ships as they are the weakest; you don't want to charge straight into an opposing line of ships with their broadsides (the sides with all the guns) facing you.

• Maneuver such that you have more "firing arcs" on your opponents ships than they do; easier said than done, but the side which can fire more broadsides in concentration will have the advantage. The traditional "battle line" of ships is one way to do this.

• Block for your wounded ships; ships cannot fire through other ships, so if you can position one of your wounded ships behind another ship you can protect it for a bit.

Thanks for the tips Rocco, are you planning on a tutorial like Starbase Orion?. It would be great in a game like this. It's really challenging.

05-15-2014, 03:06 AM
(05-15-2014 02:45 AM)Cancuino Wrote:  Thanks for the tips Rocco, are you planning on a tutorial like Starbase Orion?. It would be great in a game like this. It's really challenging.

Thanks, I'll add that to the 'noose for a future update. In the meantime, I'll see if I can't concoct a strategy guide YouTube video.
05-15-2014, 04:37 AM
(05-15-2014 03:06 AM)rocco Wrote:  
(05-15-2014 02:45 AM)Cancuino Wrote:  Thanks for the tips Rocco, are you planning on a tutorial like Starbase Orion?. It would be great in a game like this. It's really challenging.

Thanks, I'll add that to the 'noose for a future update. In the meantime, I'll see if I can't concoct a strategy guide YouTube video.

That would be awesome!

TimHobbit

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
- Will Rogers, 1879 – 1935
05-15-2014, 05:37 AM
That would be a great idea Rocco. By the way, how do I know where the wind comes from?

05-15-2014, 05:51 AM
(05-15-2014 05:37 AM)Cancuino Wrote:  That would be a great idea Rocco. By the way, how do I know where the wind comes from?

Two places:

1) There is a little circle with some squiggly lines in the bottom right corner; the curly side points in the direction the wind is blowing.

2) When you select a ship and the ship's panel slides out, there is a movement hex near the top; this has the same squiggly line graphic to show where the wind blows. This also shows you the movement points you ship would start the turn with depending on the direction it is to said wind.
05-15-2014, 06:12 AM
Thanks again Rocco. Let's suppose the wind blows from south towards north. The movement points graphic always shows one more movement point on the two spots beside the spot that is towards north. Could you explain me why?.
Thank you.

05-15-2014, 06:53 AM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2014 06:54 AM by rocco.)
(05-15-2014 06:12 AM)Cancuino Wrote:  Thanks again Rocco. Let's suppose the wind blows from south towards north. The movement points graphic always shows one more movement point on the two spots beside the spot that is towards north. Could you explain me why?.
Thank you.

Sailing ships move at a speed relational to how their sails are positioned to the blowing wind. The ships movement characteristics is based on its sails and rigging; a square rigged ship will do well on a "running" (wind blowing directly behind the ship) or "broad-reach" (wind is still blowing from behind but offset by 30-ish degrees). So, if the wind is blowing north and you are sailing north, you are "running" with the wind and your ship might get 5 movement points. If the wind is blowing north and you are going northeast -or- northwest, you are "broad-reach" and might get 6 movement points (actual numbers depend on the ships). Broad-reach is better for square rigged ships because the wind can fill all of the sails; when you are running with the wind, the wind only fills the rear most sails with full strength, they block the forward sails from getting wind.

I hope that wasn't too long winded. In summary, each ship sails differently based on its tonage, water displacement, rigging and sail configuration. This is all abstracted down to the little number on the hex dial to make it easier for you to see how many movement points you ship will have when it starts the turn facing in said direction.