Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Balancing
05-21-2014, 01:38 AM
Balancing
So I have noticed that virtually all games favor the largest ships. Easy to see why, it has a much longer range and packs a huge punch and has oodles of armor.

The trouble is that since it’s most damaging guns also have the longest range, the smaller ships can’t even get close without getting sunk and even if they do, they have a hard time punching through the armor, even in the stern or bow. Most every game is turning out to be a ship of the line slugfest with any smaller ships there just because there were some left over points, which is fine but I would like to see some options to mix it up a bit.

I was thinking that in the custom game setup, there can be an optional limit put on the larger ships. 0, 1, or 2 selectable for the 3rd rate and similar for the heavy frigate. So for example you can setup a game where there was 0 3rd rate allowed, 1 heavy and the rest needing to be filled out with smaller ships. There would also be the option to go unlimited (like it is now) or perhaps randomized?

Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2014, 01:51 AM
RE: Balancing
(05-21-2014 01:38 AM)gosenbach Wrote:  So I have noticed that virtually all games favor the largest ships. Easy to see why, it has a much longer range and packs a huge punch and has oodles of armor.

The trouble is that since it’s most damaging guns also have the longest range, the smaller ships can’t even get close without getting sunk and even if they do, they have a hard time punching through the armor, even in the stern or bow. Most every game is turning out to be a ship of the line slugfest with any smaller ships there just because there were some left over points, which is fine but I would like to see some options to mix it up a bit.

I was thinking that in the custom game setup, there can be an optional limit put on the larger ships. 0, 1, or 2 selectable for the 3rd rate and similar for the heavy frigate. So for example you can setup a game where there was 0 3rd rate allowed, 1 heavy and the rest needing to be filled out with smaller ships. There would also be the option to go unlimited (like it is now) or perhaps randomized?

Thoughts?

Another approach would be to balance the costs of the ships. For 580, get a big ship. But is it worth 1000? Based on what I've seen and experienced, the costs should be bumped up and spread out more.
05-21-2014, 02:07 AM
Ships of the line form the back-bone of any fleet, true. Historically accurate, as you'd be hard pressed to find an instance where a few cutters take on a man-o-war without the use of subterfuge. This is especially true in the 2000+ fleet point matches, where a strong line of 3rd rates is a beast to behold.

That being said, I often won't "fill up" on Vanguards, especially in < 2000 FP matches. What Captain Cards are available also affect my decision.

Here's a recent example: patrolling mission with 1000 fleet points or so. The obvious "fill up" config was a vanguard and a endeavor. I went with a vanguard, rebellious, and a cutter. Card choice was volatile powder, hold the line, and shred sails. Equipped the fast ships with hammocks, used the vanguard and card combo to immobilize his ship and the hammock'ed support ships to cap it.

Replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szR6WFCt...e=youtu.be
05-21-2014, 04:20 AM
(05-21-2014 01:38 AM)gosenbach Wrote:  I was thinking that in the custom game setup, there can be an optional limit put on the larger ships. 0, 1, or 2 selectable for the 3rd rate and similar for the heavy frigate. So for example you can setup a game where there was 0 3rd rate allowed, 1 heavy and the rest needing to be filled out with smaller ships. There would also be the option to go unlimited (like it is now) or perhaps randomized?

I forgot to add that I like the concept behind this idea. The pirate mission is kinda like that, in which I purposefully did not give it enough fleet points to allow for Vanguards. Perhaps it would make sense to have a "small ships" mission in which certain ships are taboo; would work well if it fits in some kind of story. Privateering, perhaps.
05-21-2014, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2014 11:04 AM by sirius.)
A fun mission (I think) would be a map with a lot of islands, with several objectives hidden in their midst. Grant VPs for finding each objective (more for the player who finds it first perhaps).
You could either go for small ships for searching, or larger ships for hunting down the smaller ships.
(The only problem with that tactic is that the smaller ships are faster, whereas in reality they'd be slower, but much more maneuverable.)

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H. L. Mencken