Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Retiring from the game
06-15-2014, 02:01 AM
Retiring from the game
E45y Rid3r here, I want to thank those who I have played against for the games, whether winning or preferably losing to learn something, they were fun. I especially want to thank Siramnes, Immortal Sloth, Elph, Gregg0518, ArlyB Rulz, Troy (for the RP games), and anthee for his efforts to educate newer (and experienced) players. Thanks guys! And of course, Roc, who developed a great enjoyable game.

I have given deep thought to a certain part of the game called frigate locking. That is a feature I cannot play with. In discussions with VanderLegion, it was clear that any such change will not happen and in fact great resistance to even considering (heck, even acknowledging or admitting) was brought up. I cannot play with it, it's a fundamental difference of opinion. The game is ruined for me, no fun any more with that feature. When my last game is completed, I shall delete the app. Sorry to go, I love most of the changes and enhancements, and again, good work Roc. I hope the game continues to get better.

GC ID: E45y Rid3r
Season 1 Saturn Division Champion
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2014, 02:05 AM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2014 02:05 AM by rocco.)
RE: Retiring from the game
Your faith in me is so little? Oh well, sometimes you just need to take a break. I understand that!

Quote:Further Changes to address "Fleet Lockdown"
The purpose of these changes is to provide players with a different mechanism for leaving combat early. Currently the retreat mechanic exists, but was meant to be used by a fleet wanting to get away from a superior force. The new "Disengage" command can be used to disengage all or part of your fleet from a combat and allow them to fly somewhere else. This still comes at the cost of a turn, so locking down a fleet is still a somewhat useful tactic. Non-combat ships cannot disengage.
- Feature: Added new "Disengage" combat order. Disengage acts like Retreat, except your ships will evade for nearly the full duration of the combat. If they survive that combat round, then they will leave combat and display on the galactic map near the system the combat took place in. You may then issue movement commands like you would normally. Note that fleets are not allowed to stay in this new "limbo", if you don't issue them a movement command then they will retreat to the nearest friendly system.
- Tweak: The number of turns required to stay in combat has been lowered to 8 (was 15) (out of 25). This is to help further differential the Retreat command from the Disengage commands, making Retreat the best option for getting ships out alive safely, but giving up the ability to tell them where to retreat to.
06-15-2014, 02:36 AM
My faith in you? No, it's not little, thats why you were on my list of people to thank! I guess I missed this since I gave up even reading after the beat down. When peoples goal in life is to beat you down and not listen, just ridicule and argue, one gets a pretty negative outlook. It really made it sound like "over my dead body". Which normally is fine, but not for such an issue that is about other things, fundamental game things,. For me, the existing situation is of such magnitude, that it's really the second worst feature of any game I have ever seen, having played wargames for over 30 years, hundreds of them. The dumbest has to be oGame where you can attack peoples ships, but never actually do anything to the planets. So, you can't shut them down, you can't ruin them, and you can't invade them. So, the purpose of the game is what? I guess to infinitely play.

Anyway, I'll have to think a little more now, yeah, perhaps a break is good, but maybe not abandonment.

GC ID: E45y Rid3r
Season 1 Saturn Division Champion
06-15-2014, 03:18 AM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2014 03:23 AM by Jaydevil2012.)
"!" I do not think it means, what you think it means.

For the record, it's fixed. Patience young padawan. Do not give In to the dark side. Fear leads to anger and that is a path to the dark side....
06-15-2014, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 06-15-2014 06:13 PM by ArlyB.)
We'll miss you, E45y.

Like you, I'm no fan of the frigate locking, nor was I a big fan of the previous population/colony ship exploit. Sadly, a few of the more competitive types do give in to the effectiveness of such tactics and engage in them either out of the thrill of finding a competitive edge or as a concession to what they see as an inevitable compromise in such an environment. Such is often the nature of competitive gaming.

I'm gonna give Rocco a chance to come up with some effective solutions here. I'm pretty sure he's trying to find a solution. From what I can see in my year or so playing this game, Rocco is constantly tinkering with it, which I like. It feels a bit like what happens in Magic: The Gathering when a new set of cards comes out. In both games with each new release it's the same basic game, but with enough subtle twists to keep it interesting. And hopefully each iteration avoids the pitfalls that frustrated folks from previous iterations. Every game designer will make some mistakes, but the good ones, like Rocco, learn from those mistakes and get better with time. I'm betting frigate lock in this game will be history soon enough.

As to whatever the next exploit will be, well I'm sure some Jupiter division player will be beating me about the head and ears with it soon enough. ;-)

In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences.
- Robert Green Ingersoll, lawyer and orator (1833-1899)
06-18-2014, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2014 12:59 PM by Sloth.)
E45y, I really enjoyed playing with you and am sorry if you decide to go. Hope you'll reconsider after the patch.

ArlyB's analogy is spot on. Each Magic set would always introduce some new mechanic or unexpected interaction with previous sets that would be quickly exploited. That would get fixed, and some new problematic exploit would be found again. The base game though, throughout all this, remained so compelling it was worth it, despite the always changing flaws. Rocco will fix this. And the next thing that is found. And the whole way thru this will still be, at it's core, the best multiplayer strategy game out there.

Anyway, hope to see you around. Smile