Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Display preferences
06-28-2014, 04:43 AM
Display preferences
Perhaps for the next build there should be an option under player settings on what information people want displayed?

Do you want people to know how many games you've won/loss, and when they were played? Some do, some don't.

Maybe you don't want people (or spouses) to know that you've played 10 games a day for the past month.

Perhaps even give people the option to delete games from their record. Say you have a defeat, but only because the other person quit, and you'd rather than game be removed from your record. Or maybe your just testing something with a friend.

In the end, only arena games are ranked for points, so it shouldn't matter what is displayed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-2014, 04:50 AM
RE: Display preferences
(06-28-2014 04:43 AM)Diebo Wrote:  Perhaps even give people the option to delete games from their record. Say you have a defeat, but only because the other person quit, and you'd rather than game be removed from your record. Or maybe your just testing something with a friend.

Maybe instead of being able to delete games from the history (so people don't artificially inflate their win/loss ratio maybe?), games that trigger the anti-cheating mechanism just don't appear in the history?

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
06-28-2014, 05:00 AM
(06-28-2014 04:50 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Maybe instead of being able to delete games from the history (so people don't artificially inflate their win/loss ratio maybe?), games that trigger the anti-cheating mechanism just don't appear in the history?

That would be a nice tweak, but I was thinking more about not discouraging people to play.

Example: Let's say a very competitive person thinks about playing NT. But they'll soon realize that some missions make you more prone to losing (like historical, or 2 people against the pirate). And your record is visible to everyone. You start losing here and there. They might 1) channel you into games that you are more likely to win, and 2) discourage you from playing, and possibly dropping out from playing.

Think about SO League games. They are the s-l-o-w-e-s-t games I've ever played, because everyone's record is visible and the stakes are high. A couple of people are driven to be at the top. But for the most part, the fun games I have played go quickly and aren't ranked. It doesn't matter if you win or lose, because no one cares and is taking notice. With a permanent record, every game in NT is sorta ranked.

The visibility of player win/losses and the Arena ranking might actually be pushing people away from the game. But maybe not. Just a thought I had.
06-28-2014, 06:06 AM
Just thinking it's kind of pointless to be able to SEE win loss records if games can just be deleted at will, cause at that point it doesn't really mean anything...

And not sure why arena ranking should push anyone away, since if you don't care about it you can just...not play arena

06-28-2014, 07:04 AM
(06-28-2014 06:06 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Just thinking it's kind of pointless to be able to SEE win loss records if games can just be deleted at will, cause at that point it doesn't really mean anything...

If someone wants to delete a game record, I don't care. Let someone delete all theirs games. They paid for it, let 'em play and show a profile the way they want. They can't fake the arena, and they can't fake losing to people. People who play would know. "Cheaters" wouldn't gain anything. But say you and I play a test game, and we aren't trying to win. We just want to test how grape shot and boarding works. Do we want 10 losses on our permanent record for "test" games? I personally don't care, but I am sure other people do. I've seen numerous comments from people upset about a "loss" on their record that wasn't a "real" loss. It matters to people.

(06-28-2014 06:06 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  And not sure why arena ranking should push anyone away, since if you don't care about it you can just...not play arena

True enough - but don't you feel like the game sorta funnels you to the arena? You get points. Then you stop getting them. The only way to get points is to continue into the arena. I just think the arena creates a different dynamic than, say, stock SO. In a similar way that league games in SO changes play there. Not necessarily bad, but not for everyone.

Overall, I like the arena, and think the concept fills a niche.

But all this is separate from the original point, which is that viewing personally identifiable information about an individual (dates of games and win-loss record) should be under the control of the player.
06-28-2014, 07:18 AM
(06-28-2014 07:04 AM)Diebo Wrote:  
(06-28-2014 06:06 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Just thinking it's kind of pointless to be able to SEE win loss records if games can just be deleted at will, cause at that point it doesn't really mean anything...

If someone wants to delete a game record, I don't care. Let someone delete all theirs games. They paid for it, let 'em play and show a profile the way they want. They can't fake the arena, and they can't fake losing to people. People who play would know. "Cheaters" wouldn't gain anything. But say you and I play a test game, and we aren't trying to win. We just want to test how grape shot and boarding works. Do we want 10 losses on our permanent record for "test" games? I personally don't care, but I am sure other people do. I've seen numerous comments from people upset about a "loss" on their record that wasn't a "real" loss. It matters to people.

Well, the loss on the record not being a "real" loss (I'm assuming int he ace of anti-cheating, etc), would be fixed by not showing it as I suggested before Tongue. I guess it's not that big a deal though if people delete their random games. I would argue against Arena games being deleted (other than, again, anti-cheating kicking in), since it's nice to be able to look at an opponent you're up against and see what their track record is.

Quote:
(06-28-2014 06:06 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  And not sure why arena ranking should push anyone away, since if you don't care about it you can just...not play arena

True enough - but don't you feel like the game sorta funnels you to the arena? You get points. Then you stop getting them. The only way to get points is to continue into the arena. I just think the arena creates a different dynamic than, say, stock SO. In a similar way that league games in SO changes play there. Not necessarily bad, but not for everyone.

As someone who enjoys the arena and was planning to do it from the beginning, it's hard for me to judge whether its funneling you into it or not. Granted, you stop getting points, but since the points don't matter for anything other than the arena, I dunno if it would matter as much to someone who's just playing casual games for fun. Like I said, I'm not the person to say there.

09-24-2017, 05:01 PM
Display preferences
Has anyone tried any of these aftermarket Head Up Display Units? They vary in price from under ВЈ20 to near enough ВЈ500. BMW are now producing their own version at ВЈ449 fitted. Had a look at it but wasnt particularly impressed at what you get for the money. Any recommendations?