Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dumb upgrade question...
07-17-2014, 05:34 AM
Dumb upgrade question...
I am currently playing a game where a neighboring race has spent the entire game collecting a huge fleet in a system next to one of mine.

Over 140 ships.

Then someone else attacked me, so I made an alliance with the huge fleet guy. I saw that the other race's ships were armed with Laser III. So I gave them Plasma I. Next turn I demanded they go to war, they did, and 3 turns later they attacked my opponent, and I joined in.

At that point I discovered that my new found ally had upgraded ALL 140 + ships to plasma I!

Question: if the computer player can instantly upgrade their entire fleet, can a human player? If so, how?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2014, 05:48 AM
RE: Dumb upgrade question...
no.

at the bottom of your game setup screen, there is a toggle for CPU Bonuses ON/OFF. This gives the CPU players certain "Bonuses". I often see them able to fly any distance (fuel cell) from the beginning of the game. I'm not sure of what other bonuses or possible bonuses that they could have...

but no, once you've built a ship, your configuration is set.

GC ID - alzdragon, GMT-6. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - alzdragon, NT ID - alzdragon
07-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Gudin, that sounds suspicious to me, even with AI bonuses. If I were you, I would submit a bug report. Might want to send the bug report in before the update comes out tonight.

If it's a single player game, you can get to the bug report by boing to the single player main menu, tapping the "i" icon, then tapping the text that says "Starbase Orion v1.2.2" at the bottom of the screen
07-17-2014, 12:10 PM
(07-17-2014 09:30 AM)Davabled Wrote:  Gudin, that sounds suspicious to me, even with AI bonuses. If I were you, I would submit a bug report. Might want to send the bug report in before the update comes out tonight.

If it's a single player game, you can get to the bug report by boing to the single player main menu, tapping the "i" icon, then tapping the text that says "Starbase Orion v1.2.2" at the bottom of the screen

Thanks for the input. I will do a bug report, but for now, inexplicably, I can not log in to a multiplayer game either. The game claims I need 1.2.3 but the App Store says I have the latest version (which says 1.2.2)

Sigh.
07-17-2014, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2014 01:19 PM by Davabled.)
Yeah, the server update when live in anticipation of Apple releasing the client update to the App Store around 2am GMT.

There is a slight tweak in this new version regarding AI fleet size, but it's possible the issue you are seeing, especially the quick upgrade of so many ships, might be a different bug that got missed. Rocco, the programmer, should be able to determine that when you send in the report - just be as descriptive as you can.
Oh, I forgot to mention - if it's a multiplayer game, then to submit a bug report you tap the game name on the left side of the screen. Then, in the chat lobby on the right, tap the "i" icon. This will show the details of the game. You should then see an icon up top that looks like a bug. Tap that bug and an email will open up where you can explain the problem and send the report.
07-18-2014, 11:55 PM
In my experience (for as long as I can recall) the computer AI does auto-upgrade new tech. I don't think this is a bad thing, it needs all the help it can get. I am not sure if it is related to bonuses off or on, but would think that it would apply to either.

I imagine it would be a bugger to program for each ship to go to a planet, scrap, upgrade, etc. and so much easier to just have an across-the-board starbase-like upgrade for everything.

You can always turn the AI down or up and turn bonuses off or on to better reflect your play style and interests. The AI researches tech slowly, even on impossible mode.