Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Newb Question: double turns?
07-28-2014, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2014 05:15 PM by Sanbi.)
Newb Question: double turns?
How does the asynchronous double turn cycle work? I understand if there there is combat, or there is likely to be combat it switches to a single turn cycle...usually...

Here is a scenario that just came up. I have the leader who makes my fleet invisible while in transit, and I want to send him to attack one of several planets two turns away. I know that fleet has the element of surprise and can arrive at the doorstep of an undefended planet, and my opponent won't have time to react, even if there is a single turn cycle. However, just to be safe I want to send reinforcements from another planet, which won't benefit from the invisibility.

The dilemna is whether to send reinforcements, and on what turn to send them. If my opponent sees the reinforcements in transit it will give away which planet my cloaked fleet is heading toward and he can react and scramble his ships to meet me. My opponenet had a double turn, and I just had a double turn, (meaning I took two turns before thr game paused so my opponent could imput new orders.) I decided not to send the reinforcements, because I wasn't sufe if it would switch to a single turn when I clicked on his planet. For some reason I had a double turn so now my cloaked fleet has arrived and is blockading his planet.

In other words I didn't need the cloaking and could have just sent the reinforcements to a planet two turns away? Am I understanding this? When double turns exist, it seems better to send your ships on the first turn, and not the second so they can go twice as far before your opponent reacts.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2014, 05:23 PM
RE: Newb Question: double turns?
(07-28-2014 05:14 PM)Sanbi Wrote:  How does the asynchronous double turn cycle work? I understand if there there is combat, or there is likely to be combat it switches to a single turn cycle...usually...

Here is a scenario that just came up. I have the leader who makes my fleet invisible while in transit, and I want to send him to attack one of several planets two turns away. I know that fleet has the element of surprise and can arrive at the doorstep of an undefended planet, and my opponent won't have time to react, even if there is a single turn cycle. However, just to be safe I want to send reinforcements from another planet, which won't benefit from the invisibility.

The dilemna is whether to send reinforcements, and on what turn to send them. If my opponent sees the reinforcements in transit it will give away which planet my cloaked fleet is heading toward and he can react and scramble his ships to meet me. My opponenet had a double turn, and I just had a double turn, (meaning I took two turns before thr game paused so my opponent could imput new orders.) I decided not to send the reinforcements, because I wasn't sufe if it would switch to a single turn when I clicked on his planet. For some reason I had a double turn so now my cloaked fleet has arrived and is blockading his planet.

In other words I didn't need the cloaking and could have just sent the reinforcements to a planet two turns away? Am I understanding this? When double turns exist, it seems better to send your ships on the first turn, and not the second so they can go twice as far before your opponent reacts.

Double turn doesn't actually mean you take two, then your opponent takes two, back and forth.

Turns don't happen one after the other, it's not player 1 takes a turn, their orders are resolved, then player 2 takes a turn, their orders are resolved, etc. The turns happen simultaneously. So youboth give yoru orders for a given turn, then both of your orders are resolved, then you both give your orders for the next turn, and so on and so forth. So a game might start:

400.1: Player 1 sends the invite, gives his orders.
Player 2 receives the invite, gives his own orders.
Orders for both players are resolved.
400.2: Player 2 just took his turn and orders were resolved, so he can immediately give orders for the next turn.
Player 1 gets the push notification and eventually comes back and takes his turn.
Orders for both players are resolved.
400.3: Player 1 just took his turn and orders were resolved, so he can immediately give orders for the next turn.
Player 2 gets push notification and eventually comes back and takes his turn.
Orders were resolved.

You only get the "double turn" when all other players have given their orders for the current turn, since it gets resolved and you then get to give orders for the new turn. In 1v1, it usually results in players taking two turns in a row back and forth. In bigger games, that's not always the case and you frequently only get to take 1 turn at a time.

So to answer your question, if you send another fleet that's a couple of turns away, your opponent WILL get a chance to see said fleet in transit. There's no such thing as getting two turns before an opponent can react.

The only time you generally get single turns in 1v1 is if one player doesn't immediately give orders for the new turn after submitting their last set and having the option, or if nothing is happening on your turn and it auto-advances to the next turn for you (not sure if this actually happens in MP still like it does in SP?).

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
07-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Following up, what if, in a 3 player game, two players send troop ships to a single planet, and both assault on the same turn. And let's say they are allied so no combat. Who gets it? Is it like planet discovery and randomly assigned?

1.09 Tournament Champion (February, 2012)
07-29-2014, 10:36 PM
(07-29-2014 06:47 PM)Shep Wrote:  Who gets it? Is it like planet discovery and randomly assigned?

Yes.