Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
v0.9 General Feedback
07-29-2014, 10:26 AM
v0.9 General Feedback
This is the thread that members of the beta testing group should use to report bugs discovered while testing v0.9 of Starbase Annex.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2014, 02:59 PM
RE: v0.9 General Feedback
Just wanted to say, first impression of the app is excellent! I love the icon. And the main menu is gorgeous. It felt like the background had accelerometer support - might be a placebo effect, but I could swear the background velocity was affected by moving my iPad. Very few app developers, desktop, iOS or otherwise, do really good menu screens. The one you have designed here really draws me in, well done!

Now, is there a button that tells me if I should stay up and give the game a whirl or go to bed?
08-02-2014, 06:03 PM
(08-02-2014 02:59 PM)Davabled Wrote:  Now, is there a button that tells me if I should stay up and give the game a whirl or go to bed?

No button needed. The answer is obviously always to stay up and give it a whirl Big Grin. Agreed that the icon and menu are quite nice. Haven't actually gotten time to play a game yet, so I'll report back on impressions once I get to that point Smile.

I will note that playing on the iPad you can tell it's basically just a scaled up phone app. Not used to doing anything in Portrait on the iPad Tongue. I'll let ya know how it actually works/plays on the iPad as well as the iPhone once I get the chance to try it out.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
08-02-2014, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2014 06:47 PM by anthee.)
My beta account is tied to my ipad2 so that's what I used to test Annex, and:

1. The game crashes during the loading screen every time. Haven't yet been able to see the actual game beyond that.

2. As VL noted, it can feel annoying that the game screen doesn't rotate to fit sideways (landscape mode). I never use my ipad in portrait mode either.

GC ID: anthee999
08-02-2014, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2014 07:03 PM by VanderLegion.)
During the movement phase, it would be helpful if there was a visible indication. Of which ships have already moved (of which still can). Unless there is one already and I'm just blind
Played tutorial and next game so far. Still no idea how to upgrade cards. Also, it says the game ends of someone gets 3 victory points or 2 turns after someone runs out of cards. It fails to mention that the game also ends of you take over the entire board (should be obvious, But...)

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
08-03-2014, 12:26 AM
First thing, as always it looks great, very professional.

I stumbled through the tutorial. It took awhile to figure out how to move cards. Got through X. Started Xin, but have a crash.

I am not sure how to upgrade. I am not altogether sure how movement works, or combat. But I do seem to be winning.

I am playing on an iPhone. It is small, but manageable. The cards at the bottom sometimes cover up the next move. In particular when I have 3-4 cards that I am trying to move to start a combat (I'm guessing you just plop them on the opponent's adjacent cards?).

I've figured out the buying system. And the move phase for new pieces. And I like the tie-in to SO.

I just saw Xin upgrade.
08-03-2014, 12:30 AM
More impressions after playing twice against Magistrate X:
  1. Crash
    During my first game, I had a crash to desktop. I don't recall what I was doing, as at that point I hadn't figured out how to do much, I was relying on luck and doing a lot of tapping to move my cards. I couldn't find a button to submit a crash report.
  2. Moving Cards
    I figured out how to move cards through trial-and-error during my second game. The current system feels counter-intuitive, because you have to tap the card, making it move to the bottom of the screen, which feels like I just threw the card on a discard pile, causing me to think "That's not what I wanted to do, hit the undo button!" Perhaps a "Drag the card to the hex you want it to go" movement would be easier?
  3. Whose Cards?
    After my opponent and I started filling the board, I easily lost track of which cards were mine, and which were my opponents. They all have the same white background. Could a colored border be drawn along the edges of the cards to indicate which cards are mine, and which are my opponents?
  4. Blue Pill or Red Pill?
    I had trouble figuring out the point system. The presentation leaves me with the impression that I can get two types of points, Red and Blue, that perhaps combine or get used for different things. Eventually I figured out that the Red Pill is my opponent's points, and the Blue Pill is my points. I think this part would be more intuitive if the Red Pill were moved up the screen alongside the opponent.
  5. Capturing and Icons
    The capturing screen felt a little inconsistent with the rest of the user interface. Especially the white "X" and Checkmark. Not necessarily bad, just not up to the creative geniousness of rest of the game. A little extra explanation explaining how to capture cards would help. Lastly, I was expecting some kind of indication if I had been successful in capturing my opponent's cards or not. Going straight back to the game board had me wondering "OK, so what happened?"
  6. Victory?
    After I won against X, I think all the victory stars filled up, but I'm not sure, they're all white stars, while the help screen makes it look like they should be blue shapes (square, hexagon, etc.). The victory screen indicated a military victory. The help screen indicated (I think, from memory) that I needed 3 victory types before I could move on to the next opponent, but I was able to then move immediately on to my next opponent.

That's as far as I got before I went to bed. Typing this out from memory.
08-03-2014, 12:35 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 12:38 AM by Diebo.)
I figured out battle! I was UNSELECTING the cards. I finally went with just pressing the check box and I won.

Davabled: your cards are tilted one direction, the opponents the other.

I just got a "draw".

I had all the squares, and Xin didn't have any more cards.

In the "draw", blue is military, nothing in humanity, red for assssinate, red for flag ship, nothing for diplomacy.

Should it be 2 to 1 on this one?
08-03-2014, 12:45 AM
(08-03-2014 12:35 AM)Diebo Wrote:  I just got a "draw".

I had all the squares, and Xin didn't have any more cards.

In the "draw", blue is military, nothing in humanity, red for assssinate, red for flag ship, nothing for diplomacy.

Should it be 2 to 1 on this one?

You are correct, in this instance (where you tied for humanity and diplomacy), but he had 2 points and you had 1 point it should label that as a defeat.
08-03-2014, 12:52 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 12:53 AM by rocco.)
Instead of explaining here how upgrade works, I will modify the help and tutorial for the next build and see if that helps introduce the concept adequately.

Quote:I figured out how to move cards through trial-and-error during my second game. The current system feels counter-intuitive, because you have to tap the card, making it move to the bottom of the screen, which feels like I just threw the card on a discard pile, causing me to think "That's not what I wanted to do, hit the undo button!" Perhaps a "Drag the card to the hex you want it to go" movement would be easier?

You will encounter this more as you play, but there will be cases (more often than not) when you want to use multiple cards at the same time, and they are not necessarily from the same space. So you may need to pick up a 2, and then pick up a 3, to attack a space with a 5.

I went with a control scheme where you "pick up cards you want from the board and put them into your 'virtual hand', and then place them all onto the board again together".