Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ship Maintenance Cost
07-31-2014, 12:30 AM
Ship Maintenance Cost
I know ships have a Command Point cost, and if you go over, you have to spend more. The purpose of this is to cap fleet size for balance issues and to make you think strategically about ships/transports/colonies.

What hasn't made sense to me is that ships have no maintenance cost. All buildings do. Starbases do. I suspect ships should.

I'm not thinking about some oppressive amount. Maybe 1 to 3 credits per CP of the ship, and 1-2 per colony/troop ship.

20 frigates (or 10 destroyers/cruisers) would cost 20-60 credits/turn. No big deal, but more realistic, and it would factor into decision making.

Could also be based on ship class. Frigate 1, Destroyer 2, Cruiser 3, Battleship 4, Titan 5, Mammoth 6. (or double, or triple that).

Would put even more pressure on funding, which isn't a bad thing.

Somebody has to pay the salary of the people in the ships, food and fuel, ammunition, etc.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2014, 06:42 PM
RE: Ship Maintenance Cost
I like it. Would prolong games perhaps, but encourage smarter builds, and selective use of force.

1.09 Tournament Champion (February, 2012)
08-01-2014, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 09:33 PM by anthee.)
I like the idea too, but if all ships were to have a maintenance cost in GC, the purpose of command points would have to be rethought.
Maybe make it so that your total CPs are a hard cap for maximum fleet size?

GC ID: anthee999
08-01-2014, 11:57 PM
I think that could be fine, as long as there were a way to build facilities (i.e., C&C hub) or make a ship system (i.e., command center) to increase command points. Realistically, makes sense as well; CP could be interpreted as the literal number of ships your empire could control at once in terms of crew, able captains, etc., while upkeep would allow you to maintain massive fleets but pay for it. Personally, I think combat too often comes down to quantity, when perhaps quality should be a more sought after goal.

1.09 Tournament Champion (February, 2012)
08-02-2014, 02:48 AM
Hrm, while I've wondered about ship maintenance costs myself a few times, I'm not so sure it would be a good thing.

As is, this game is difficult for the newcomer. There are already so many things to juggle. Adding maintenance costs to ships would be yet another thing to juggle.

For those of us who play this game practically every day for a couple years, sure, we can see how it could be balanced, but I'm afraid it might make the game too difficult for the new and casual players. Especially since they play primarily single player, where the AI already has overwhelming advantages in fleet size and production.
08-02-2014, 03:57 AM
(08-02-2014 02:48 AM)Davabled Wrote:  Hrm, while I've wondered about ship maintenance costs myself a few times, I'm not so sure it would be a good thing.

As is, this game is difficult for the newcomer. There are already so many things to juggle. Adding maintenance costs to ships would be yet another thing to juggle.

For those of us who play this game practically every day for a couple years, sure, we can see how it could be balanced, but I'm afraid it might make the game too difficult for the new and casual players. Especially since they play primarily single player, where the AI already has overwhelming advantages in fleet size and production.

Good point, but I am not sure it would make it more difficult to understand for the newcomer from a practical perspective. They would just notice that they are a bit poorer, and maybe spend a bit more on economic funding, or take a racial trait to add more money. And maybe play on easy or normal a bit longer before shifting to hard/impossible.

As it is, how many people really understand building maintenance? How many people actually think about whether or not to build sanctioned sports on a planet, knowing that it is a 1 pop breeder planet (the maintenance cost is higher than the production benefit)? How many people have done a cost-benefit analysis of tolerant to see expected savings?

I'd guess that most players aren't super-well acquainted with the finer details of maintenance costs. But they don't need to be, they just need to know the bottom line. Which is super easy to figure out. And if you looked at your income, it would show ship maintenance. If they have 20 frigates and they show -40 income, it doesn't take much to figure out that fewer ships would mean money savings. And by the time you can afford 20 ships, 40 or even 60-80 credits/turn is not oppressive.
08-05-2014, 06:56 AM
I like the idea of maintenance, but I don't like the idea of a hard cap.

Instead, when you go over the cap limit your maintenance should double or triple. You can still build as large of a fleet as you want to, provided you pay the extra maintenance such a large fleet would require.

Either way, there would definitely need to be some tech to increase the cap. I'm not sure if it should be tied to population, planets, or galaxy size though...

Writer and all around crazy person.
GC ID: falanor4421 *** Sandbox : falanor4421 (I think...) ***
Always looking for a game
08-05-2014, 07:08 AM
(08-05-2014 06:56 AM)falanor4421 Wrote:  I like the idea of maintenance, but I don't like the idea of a hard cap.

Instead, when you go over the cap limit your maintenance should double or triple. You can still build as large of a fleet as you want to, provided you pay the extra maintenance such a large fleet would require.

Either way, there would definitely need to be some tech to increase the cap. I'm not sure if it should be tied to population, planets, or galaxy size though...

Yah, I wasn't proposing any change to the way command points work. I think that works pretty well. You can go over, but after a bit it gets spendy.

The maintenance cost per ship (salary, food, wages, fuel, ammo, etc. etc.) should be relatively fixed. Maybe the extra CP cost for going over the CP limit takes into account the extra training of trying to get ship captains and crew together, and that is part of the reason going over the CP cap gets so expensive? You can create any back-story you'd like, and I bet many would sound reasonable.

But to keep things simple:

1. No change to CP cap at all. It works.
2. Maintenance cost added to ships based on ship size (amount to be determined).
08-05-2014, 02:58 PM
^ This. This is good.

Writer and all around crazy person.
GC ID: falanor4421 *** Sandbox : falanor4421 (I think...) ***
Always looking for a game
08-05-2014, 11:58 PM
Other than as an interesting thought experiment, I'm just not sure ship maintenance costs would actually add anything to the game.

We would see alterations in builds and/or strategies, although not necessarily.