Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Game Length and Leader Value
07-31-2014, 04:31 AM
Game Length and Leader Value
I've just stared to dive into multiplayer Starbase Orion and I'm loving it so far. I have no idea how many turns games tend to take and was hoping I could get some opinions on the matter. I know games will range wildly in turn count so I'm primarily thinking about 1v1 games in various sized maps. How many turns would you expect a 1v1 game to take?

Relatedly, I have no idea if I'm paying too much for leaders. How much do you pay for leaders in 1v1 games?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2014, 04:57 AM
RE: Game Length and Leader Value
(07-31-2014 04:31 AM)ZenRose Wrote:  I've just stared to dive into multiplayer Starbase Orion and I'm loving it so far. I have no idea how many turns games tend to take and was hoping I could get some opinions on the matter. I know games will range wildly in turn count so I'm primarily thinking about 1v1 games in various sized maps. How many turns would you expect a 1v1 game to take?

Relatedly, I have no idea if I'm paying too much for leaders. How much do you pay for leaders in 1v1 games?

Welcome to MP!

In my experience, games usually last to about turns 75-150 or so. By turn 100 you'll probably have a good idea of where things stand, if the game isn't over yet. Quick/advanced empire and small map will speed things up, early empire/massive map/normal speed will slow things down. Get two players that like to research and aren't aggressive, and it can go to turn 200+. And a good blitzer can end the game for you before turn 75.

In terms of leader cost, there are so many considerations. You want leaders to help yourself, but also to deny your opponent. And the price will just depend on how much you need a leader versus that opponent. If you're paying over 1000-1500 early to mid-game, you're probably paying too much. Very (very) late game, I've paid 10,000+ for a leader.

Also, it's risky but smart to run up the cost of a leader that you don't want, in the hopes of dumping your opponent with a leader they don't really want or need.

Ultimately, it comes down to how much can you afford (both in terms of cost, and in terms of delays to production) versus the benefits. Some leaders might be the perfect fit (say, Xin gives you cloning and a gaia-sized planet, and you have a very rich huge radiated planet and no cloning).
07-31-2014, 05:32 AM
RE: Game Length and Leader Value
Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. That gives me some good general information to go on.