Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2 Average
Rules for Orion League, season 3
08-05-2014, 11:13 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2014 04:53 AM by Siramnes.)
Rules for Orion League, season 3
Hello Orion League Community! It is time for us to set rules for Season 3, which starts just under a month from now on September 1. The Executive Council will ultimately vote on the rules, but the entire community is invited to weigh in as we debate them.

In the past two seasons we have had a different set of rules for each half of the season. Do we want to keep this system?

I'll throw one interesting idea out there regarding rules. Diebo and Anthee have suggested randomizing the rules for each half using a site such as random.org. We would exclude certain settings such as wormholes and random galaxy (because they can lead to galaxy imbalance) and early empire (because it would greatly increase game time), but all other settings could be randomized. One advantage of this system is that it would eliminate the need for debate about each individual setting.

What does everyone think of this idea?

Update: There seems to be a general consensus that randomized settings is a good approach for season 3

EC vote on whether to use same settings for whole season (whole) or different settings for each half (half). The third option is to have a different set of rules for each fixture/round of the season (multiple). Members have until Sunday, August 9 to vote (and can change their votes too until that date).

Results

General Grr (whole)
Anthee (multiple)
Jabamaya (whole)
Choc Ice (multiple)
Sfx1 (multiple)
Davabled (whole)
Immortal Sloth (multiple)

Founder, the Orion League
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2014, 01:31 AM
RE: Rules for Orion League, season 3
I think this would make league games more unpredictable and also more difficult to prepare for in advance. A lot of settings could get used that normally are not chosen.

In addition to (still) endorsing this idea, I suggest the following:

1. Exclude the game options Opponents, Type, Race, Diplomacy and Victory from randomization. These should be pretty obviously excluded since we want a 1v1 league with custom races but without unlimited racial points.

2. Exclude the galaxy options Composition and Wormholes from randomization. Composition is always balanced and wormholes are always turned off. Moreover, exclude Early empire age from randomization: empire age is always either normal or advanced in order to ensure that all games proceed at a reasonable pace.

3. Exclude all randomly obtained settings during the first half of the season from being used during the second half. This ensures that the settings for both season halves will differ significantly from each other.

Thoughts?

GC ID: anthee999
08-06-2014, 01:47 AM
(08-06-2014 01:31 AM)anthee Wrote:  I think this would make league games more unpredictable and also more difficult to prepare for in advance. A lot of settings could get used that normally are not chosen.

1. Exclude the game options Opponents, Type, Race, Diplomacy and Victory from randomization. These should be pretty obviously excluded since we want a 1v1 league with custom races but without unlimited racial points.

2. Exclude the galaxy options Composition and Wormholes from randomization. Composition is always balanced and wormholes are always turned off. Moreover, exclude Early empire age from randomization: empire age is always either normal or advanced in order to ensure that all games proceed at a reasonable pace.

3. Exclude all randomly obtained settings during the first half of the season from being used during the second half. This ensures that the settings for both season halves will differ significantly from each other.

Thoughts?

+1 from me. Makes sense. Any interest in the 24 Hour Tourney Timer?
08-06-2014, 01:52 AM
(08-06-2014 01:47 AM)Diebo Wrote:  +1 from me. Makes sense. Any interest in the 24 Hour Tourney Timer?

Maybe only in the "elite" divisions? Experience learned from Naval Tactics is the 24 hour tourney timer is really hard for people who can only play at night, and given the amount of new sign ups in the S3 thread I imagine that could unnecessarily affect a lot a new people.
08-06-2014, 02:37 AM
I like being forced to adapt to random settings..
Not too sure about the 24 hour tourney timer. As much as I like burning thru 100 turns/day, sometimes things come up. Missed a turn or two can be the difference between winning and losing - can ruin a Gg Sad
08-06-2014, 02:43 AM
(08-06-2014 02:37 AM)sfx51 Wrote:  I like being forced to adapt to random settings..
Not too sure about the 24 hour tourney timer. As much as I like burning thru 100 turns/day, sometimes things come up. Missed a turn or two can be the difference between winning and losing - can ruin a Gg Sad

Good points, I retract any consideration of the 24 hour timer.

And yes, you are one of the best for the 100 turns/day playing! I look forward to testing with you for the upcoming games, especially since we aren't in the same division.
08-06-2014, 03:04 AM
(08-06-2014 01:31 AM)anthee Wrote:  I think this would make league games more unpredictable and also more difficult to prepare for in advance. A lot of settings could get used that normally are not chosen.

Thoughts?

Agreed. Although I'm not sure how this would make it more difficult to prepare for, unless we hold off selecting the settings until the day the tournament starts.
08-06-2014, 03:11 AM
(08-06-2014 03:04 AM)Davabled Wrote:  Agreed. Although I'm not sure how this would make it more difficult to prepare for, unless we hold off selecting the settings until the day the tournament starts.

I think just in terms of what people normally play and are used to. With "typical" game settings, the build you've been using for the past months might just require minor tweaks. Given a quick setting, advanced empire, small galaxy you'd mostly likely need to completely revamp and develop a build. We'll have a month or so to practice, but with how long games take, it is a lot easier to tweak the known than develop and perfect a strategy for the unknown in that time.

I really like how the maps change. But I also am pretty tired of the map once the tourney is over. Familiarity breeds boredom? With 1 month of practice and 2 months of playing, that's 3 months of pretty heavy focus on a specific map.
08-06-2014, 03:22 AM
(08-06-2014 03:11 AM)Diebo Wrote:  
(08-06-2014 03:04 AM)Davabled Wrote:  Agreed. Although I'm not sure how this would make it more difficult to prepare for, unless we hold off selecting the settings until the day the tournament starts.

I think just in terms of what people normally play and are used to. With "typical" game settings, the build you've been using for the past months might just require minor tweaks. Given a quick setting, advanced empire, small galaxy you'd mostly likely need to completely revamp and develop a build. We'll have a month or so to practice, but with how long games take, it is a lot easier to tweak the known than develop and perfect a strategy for the unknown in that time.

I really like how the maps change. But I also am pretty tired of the map once the tourney is over. Familiarity breeds boredom? With 1 month of practice and 2 months of playing, that's 3 months of pretty heavy focus on a specific map.

What if we announce the new map two weeks before the start of each half? That gives people time to practice, but perhaps not enough time so that they are simply playing out a blueprint when the game starts. If we want to increase emphasis on adaptability, we will move the announcement date closer to the start date. If we want to emphasize more the ability of player to "figure out" the best formula for given settings, we will provide more time to practice. There's probably a sweet spot somewhere that gives importance both to planning and adaptability.

Founder, the Orion League
08-06-2014, 03:42 AM
(08-06-2014 03:22 AM)Siramnes Wrote:  What if we announce the new map two weeks before the start of each half? That gives people time to practice, but perhaps not enough time so that they are simply playing out a blueprint when the game starts. If we want to increase emphasis on adaptability, we will move the announcement date closer to the start date. If we want to emphasize more the ability of player to "figure out" the best formula for given settings, we will provide more time to practice. There's probably a sweet spot somewhere that gives importance both to planning and adaptability.

I think two weeks might not be enough time, as games can easily take 2 weeks to finish. I'm guessing that the result would be that people would delay starting their turn as long as possible, and delay during the early game to get a handle on how things work out. Which could push the schedule for the entire season.

I think a month out is a good balance. It would make sense to not reveal the second half rules until a month out too.

It would be fun to have the rules generated the day of (and each person would be required to take at least 1 turn to lock in a build, if not a strategy). But I think that would make people squeak.