Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
YouTube Media of Tournaments, Gameplay w/ Commentary. When? Years have passed...When?
08-18-2014, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2014 06:50 PM by tactfulgamer.)
YouTube Media of Tournaments, Gameplay w/ Commentary. When? Years have passed...When?
Wow! I have been gone a long time. How's it going forum veterans and newcomers.

So, has any of this been added? (Alternate win conditions?) Economic? Diplomatic? or is it still conquest only?

And now, my thread title beckons. Fellas, where, for the love of god are the YOUTUBE videos??? All these glorious tournaments I have been reading about but not "one" YouTube video showcasing it???

Come on fellas, (speaking to you vets on here... respectfully of course) someone in here has got to start posting SO YouTube videos with commentary. I do not have the equipment and I suck at SO currently because I have been gone a long time, still, I love this game. Would there had been YouTube videos, I would had been a lot better than I am now. I would had kept abreast, watching the videos or listening to it as a podcast as I am driving to work.

Civilization Revolution forum members created podcasts & videos on YouTube for they're beloved game. I like this game more. So why haven't you guys popped up with something similar as this:
http://civcomm.civfanatics.com/polycast/...eason1.php

And this is the Civilization Revolution series (spin off to civilization) that mostly everyone clowns because it's not as deep as civilization. Yet, it is, deep enough and fun. Small community, but they got it together.

I have been hollering at several YouTube channels with loyal viewers and large subscribers for awhile now about this game. Even when I wasn't active on the forums. Now that I have they're attention, I think I can bring in more positive crowds on here and more awareness. Sadly...

They're main response: never heard of SO, may not entice the subscribers. And if so good, why doesn't the loyal forum members *that I speak of* have not posted/uploaded a video yet of such awesome game.

Honestly, this is bad guys. SO should have consumption media out there. It's been *years* active dev (waddup Rocco) and many iterations later... Not one true video showcasing SO. I found one review or two (not sure) but that is as far as the rabbit hole goes when we know, it's much deeper.

Sorry to come in out of the blue like this. I know I haven't posted in a very long time. But it really bothers me, that with all the greatness this community has achieved we still have no media representation outside of this forum and outside of text. Guys, we really need YouTube setups, podcasts.

I hope this thread reaches someone whom has the capabilities to make it so.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-19-2014, 04:34 AM
RE: YouTube Media of Tournaments, Gameplay w/ Commentary. When? Years have passed...When?
(08-18-2014 06:44 PM)tactfulgamer Wrote:  Wow! I have been gone a long time. How's it going forum veterans and newcomers.

So, has any of this been added? (Alternate win conditions?) Economic? Diplomatic? or is it still conquest only?

There's a possible diplomatic victory now when there's more than 2 players (ally with all players in game), no other alternate win conditions.

Quote:And now, my thread title beckons. Fellas, where, for the love of god are the YOUTUBE videos??? All these glorious tournaments I have been reading about but not "one" YouTube video showcasing it???

Come on fellas, (speaking to you vets on here... respectfully of course) someone in here has got to start posting SO YouTube videos with commentary. I do not have the equipment and I suck at SO currently because I have been gone a long time, still, I love this game. Would there had been YouTube videos, I would had been a lot better than I am now. I would had kept abreast, watching the videos or listening to it as a podcast as I am driving to work.

Civilization Revolution forum members created podcasts & videos on YouTube for they're beloved game. I like this game more. So why haven't you guys popped up with something similar as this:
http://civcomm.civfanatics.com/polycast/...eason1.php

And this is the Civilization Revolution series (spin off to civilization) that mostly everyone clowns because it's not as deep as civilization. Yet, it is, deep enough and fun. Small community, but they got it together.

I have been hollering at several YouTube channels with loyal viewers and large subscribers for awhile now about this game. Even when I wasn't active on the forums. Now that I have they're attention, I think I can bring in more positive crowds on here and more awareness. Sadly...

They're main response: never heard of SO, may not entice the subscribers. And if so good, why doesn't the loyal forum members *that I speak of* have not posted/uploaded a video yet of such awesome game.

Honestly, this is bad guys. SO should have consumption media out there. It's been *years* active dev (waddup Rocco) and many iterations later... Not one true video showcasing SO. I found one review or two (not sure) but that is as far as the rabbit hole goes when we know, it's much deeper.

Sorry to come in out of the blue like this. I know I haven't posted in a very long time. But it really bothers me, that with all the greatness this community has achieved we still have no media representation outside of this forum and outside of text. Guys, we really need YouTube setups, podcasts.

I hope this thread reaches someone whom has the capabilities to make it so.

The problem with youtube videos for SO is that it's not a game well suited to making them (for MP at least). Someone could make videos for SP pretty easily, but for tournaments and commentary on MP games, there's no replay feature to record it afterward, and it doesn't all go down at once, so you'd basically ahve to record each of your individual turns and splice em all together to make a video.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
08-19-2014, 04:39 AM
RE: YouTube Media of Tournaments, Gameplay w/ Commentary. When? Years have passed...When?
(08-19-2014 04:34 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  The problem with youtube videos for SO is that it's not a game well suited to making them (for MP at least). Someone could make videos for SP pretty easily, but for tournaments and commentary on MP games, there's no replay feature to record it afterward, and it doesn't all go down at once, so you'd basically ahve to record each of your individual turns and splice em all together to make a video.

VL is correct; to do this right, there would need to a feature where you could view someone else's game, have the freedom to go forward and backwards through all turns played, and have full functionality each to turn view the turn as any of the players. So if I were trying to provide summary or commentary on VL & Diebo's league game, I would need to look at both their racials, what they're building each turn, what they're researching, etc.

Such a thing doesn't exist, and probably won't unless someone really committed to making said videos. I spent a lot of time making the "video replay" feature for naval tactics, it didn't exactly make or break the game.
08-19-2014, 05:29 AM
(08-19-2014 04:39 AM)rocco Wrote:  
(08-19-2014 04:34 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  The problem with youtube videos for SO is that it's not a game well suited to making them (for MP at least). Someone could make videos for SP pretty easily, but for tournaments and commentary on MP games, there's no replay feature to record it afterward, and it doesn't all go down at once, so you'd basically ahve to record each of your individual turns and splice em all together to make a video.

VL is correct; to do this right, there would need to a feature where you could view someone else's game, have the freedom to go forward and backwards through all turns played, and have full functionality each to turn view the turn as any of the players. So if I were trying to provide summary or commentary on VL & Diebo's league game, I would need to look at both their racials, what they're building each turn, what they're researching, etc.

Such a thing doesn't exist, and probably won't unless someone really committed to making said videos. I spent a lot of time making the "video replay" feature for naval tactics, it didn't exactly make or break the game.

I could see it working if the video was just 1-sided, me showing exactly what steps I used to play, and I could comment on what I saw from the other opponent's side of things as they came up. But I would never have the time or interest to develop the video, and probably not the time to even watch any (late game, a turn can take 20 minutes or more). Sure, I would be curious to see exactly how Skins or any of the top players set up their first 30 turns or so... but for someone who isn't familiar with the game, it probably wouldn't mean that much. You need to know what someone else is doing right in order to appreciate what you are doing wrong, and by the time you know that, you are probably already hooked on the game.

If the goal is to learn from a good player, play someone better than yourself and ask questions as the game progresses, and/or read the forums and ask questions.

If the goal is to advertise to people that like 4x games, tell them that it is an awesome, continually upgraded, asynchronous 4x multi-player game that plays well on an iPhone, with active community of players, and no in-app purchases. If they played MOO2 and liked that, they will undoubtedly like this and quickly get the hang of it. How couldn't they? Since I bought it, I am averaging a whopping 0.25 USD (a quarter dollar) per month for something I play every day.

The biggest problem I have seen with this game is lack of spousal support. We've lost a number of good players that had to go cold-turkey or face 1-800-DIVORCE.

RE: What has changed since you played. My advice would be to go to the whipping post on the forum, and read the threads on updates from when you last played until now. You can see what was tweaked, added, and removed, and often comments explaining why. This game has really evolved.
08-19-2014, 05:50 AM
(08-19-2014 05:29 AM)Diebo Wrote:  If the goal is...

Outside of what the OP suggests, I think it would be cool if a top-tier player reviewed a top-tier league game and provided commentary for the sole purpose of giving everyone else a notion of what happened that game; say the main audience was all current starbase orion players. Such commentary would not need to be extensive, could assume at least a little working knowledge of the game, but would probably make points that a newbie might benefit from. For example, lets say there was a pivotal battle which one side lost; the commentator would probably note that the PDS heavy fleet countered the nuke fleet, and was able to do so because that player scouted the first player 30 turns ago and switched production to compensate. With the right tools, a full SO game could be compressed into a 20-30 minute video.
08-19-2014, 08:36 AM
Aside from aiming a video camera at an iPad, how would one record the video in the first place? The decent looking videos I've seen of Starbase Orion look as though they were made by Rocco using a deceloper's emulator on a mac with screen capture ability - probably not something that could be made public.

I think the ideas above are wonderful and I wish I and others could and would make youtube videos.
08-19-2014, 08:45 AM
http://www.airsquirrels.com/reflector/

You airplay connect to your computer, the. Use the reflector app to record your ipad screen & audio.
08-19-2014, 11:04 AM
Now this is the beautiful community I've known and loved since back in the day - no complaints, just brain storming for solutions!

VL, Diebo what's up fellas. Rocco, as always, calculative and interactive with his community Smile

The ideas you all bring forward are brilliant! One sided is fine or top players reviewing the matches are fine. These are all good ideas! However you guys would like to swing it is cool. As long as there is some kind of Media sticky where new players whom come to the forum are able to see the videos and hopefully, things can branch out from from there.

How to stream videos from your iPad to your PC (hopefully this helps)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T87OfXovoLU

@ Diebo,
It's the small nuances that I forget.

Which tech stacks better with which tech during the early-mid stages for the combo, synergy effects (for both, planets and ships). Eventually it will all come back once I play it for a good month or so. I just have to get hardcore with it like I use to.

Absolutely my kind sir, the whipping post it is, I have been lurking the past few weeks.
08-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Actually, the other thing that'd make it difficult is that you'd really need to get people to record their games then send the videos to someone else to do commentary on em. I imagine you'd get far better commentary doing it for someone elses game than you would going back over a game of your own.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
08-19-2014, 05:13 PM
Actually, let's go simple since no one here really has a setup. (I wish I did - I would host a "let's learn" StarBase Orion with my back to noob self) lol.

For now, just someone uploading a video of they're games, whether single player against A.I or against human players is fine and just the start this community needs for video representation.

As long as it's a strong player, providing commentary, giving us the watcher/listener insight into his mindset, reasonings behind his motivations and what he thinks the opponent is doing should be good and entertaining enough I think. Something is better than nothing.

There are loads of YouTube channels, where the player is extremely good, his commentary excellent because he knows the game, and all he is really doing is playing against the A.I on the hardest difficulty, but the video is still very engaging and exciting to watch because of the said players game intelligence and him sharing that aspect via commentating. For example GetDaved & Quill18 when the play MOO2 against the A.I. viewers in the 100k/200k watch those.

Finally, when and if, this happens... SO gets a channel uploading its gameplay. I hope you guys support the channel the same way you have with this community and the game. Thus, giving the channel owner more incentive to keep posting SO videos Smile