Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Suspect spying bug
09-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Suspect spying bug
Often when I use spies they seem to get stuck on doing certain things. Like I didnt have my spies set to gather intel but for the last three turns theyve uselessly scored intel hits rather than stealing technology as assigned. I think taking my spies off so it say zero percent and reassigning them might temporarilly fix it...ive had this happen in multiple games. Anyone else notice this bug?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-2014, 02:22 PM
RE: Suspect spying bug
(09-19-2014 01:51 PM)Sanbi Wrote:  Often when I use spies they seem to get stuck on doing certain things. Like I didnt have my spies set to gather intel but for the last three turns theyve uselessly scored intel hits rather than stealing technology as assigned. I think taking my spies off so it say zero percent and reassigning them might temporarilly fix it...ive had this happen in multiple games. Anyone else notice this bug?

There is a small percentage chance when a successful spying roll happens that a spy got an "opportunistic" event outside of their given mission. So while waiting around to strike at the science labs to steal tech, they manage to slip into the treasury instead.
09-20-2014, 12:11 AM
I just ran 600 turns in a pass-and-play to test spying for other reasons:

http://www.chimerasw.com/starbaseorion/f...650&page=2

I found that get info did come up occasionally, but not any more than other random hits. I believe that 20 percent of the time that you get a positive hit for spying, the success is in another category (or a random one, I forget). I didn't see any problem in my 600 turn trial (with 128 positive hits as I recall). I did record for the last 200 turns whether the tech category I was stealing came up as expected or as something else. Out of 48 positive spy events, 9 were in other categories (like gather intel, or steal military when I had tasked them to steal civil). That works out to 18.75 percent, which is close to the 20 percent that I think is built into the system.

Gathering intel (if I recall correctly) has a 2x chance of success versus trying to steal or do other spying activity. And you do have an option to split your spies into 2 different tasks. Make sure that half of your spies are not gathering intel. Intel gathering is easier, so it will happen more. If that isn't it, you are probably just unlucky!
09-20-2014, 07:11 AM
So if I just want to say, disrupt empire, if I give my spies just that mission, a successful strike will produce ~80% empire disruption? Bottom line, not giving a #2 won't lose anything?

1.09 Tournament Champion (February, 2012)
09-20-2014, 07:47 AM
(09-20-2014 07:11 AM)Shep Wrote:  So if I just want to say, disrupt empire, if I give my spies just that mission, a successful strike will produce ~80% empire disruption? Bottom line, not giving a #2 won't lose anything?

Correct.
09-20-2014, 10:43 AM
Ah I see, thanks for explaining how it works.