Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Trait Balance
11-18-2014, 09:13 AM
RE: Trait Balance
(11-18-2014 07:41 AM)Yojimbo252 Wrote:  
(11-17-2014 01:39 PM)rocco Wrote:  
(11-17-2014 07:45 AM)Yojimbo252 Wrote:  I've not played 2v2 as yet so forgive me if this is a silly point to bring up, but when you suggest making some trait species dependent, do you mean specific to that one player?

If 2 allies are the same species (I'm assuming this is possible in 2v2) wouldn't this give them an unfair advantage over opponents who are not?

What he means is, some racial traits are "empire wide" while other racial traits are "population specific".

Amazing Industrialists is "population specific" in that population of that race gain +2 to industry, hence that bonus carries over regardless of who currently owns the populace.

Traits like Freethinking are "empire wide", meaning that they do not carry over with population and instead only affect your empire.

Thus, in a team game if you funnel all of the population with "population wide" advantages to the player with all of the "empire wide" advantages, you would gain the most benefit.

That's fine I get that. I just wanted to ensure the suggestions were player specific and not species specific where allies could still share the benefit.

Like he said, some traits are population specific, some are empire specific. when the game starts out, you only get any benefit from your own traits. All of the population is your own race for population specific traits, and you of course get your own empire-wide traits. If you give a planet to an ally though that's full of your population, those pop all keep their population specific traits (amaing industry, booming population growth etc) for your ally, while gaining any empire-specific traits he might have (such as freethinking). They will not gain any of your ally's population-specific traits.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2014, 06:55 PM
Ah ok I didn't appreciate that. Thanks.
03-24-2015, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 09:45 AM by rocco.)
Just circling back on this. It seems like the most egregious offenders here are the mixture of persnickety & shared intel. So I've made persnickety empires only work with persnickety populations. Ditto for natural tinkers.

Freethinking affects morale, which is calculated empire-wide. I can't change that one without ripping a whole bunch of stuff apart, or fundamentally changing Freethinking.

For SO1 I don't want to introduce "racial traits that get shared with allies", although I find the concept fascinating and I can imagine we could come up with a bunch of traits solely around that concept for SO2.

My question then, is this enough to discourage a master / slave strategy to exploit these loopholes? Or should I also tweak one of the team modes to remove the ability to gift planets (suggested elsewhere, failing to find the thread now).
03-24-2015, 09:51 AM
I am currently wondering if team strict mode is the solution to this problem. I don't recall all the issues off hand, but, I think it resolves trading pop, etc. Of course, it stops sharing of tech, which could be good or bad. We are playing a 4v4 team strict and it really makes the game a true 4v4, not, let's give all our pop to one guy, etc.

GC ID: E45y Rid3r
Season 1 Saturn Division Champion
03-25-2015, 01:52 AM
Yes, so I guess I'm wondering if I should for "DIPLOMACY TEAMS" mode additionally disable planet gifting. But I think we can leave it until further in the beta to make that decision.
03-25-2015, 02:54 AM
Can't seem to planet gift in team strict mode?

GC ID: E45y Rid3r
Season 1 Saturn Division Champion
03-25-2015, 06:19 AM
Yes, but team strict also disables pacts and tech gifting, which might not be preferable in all games where planet gifting is to be banned.

GC ID: anthee999