Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
v1.0.1 General Feedback
10-07-2014, 03:01 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 03:07 PM by VanderLegion.)
v1.0.1 General Feedback
Feedback thread for beta testers for version 1.0.1
Rocco, I invited you to a Cleopatre vs Nymphe game. It's gonna be a REAL uneventful game given that I don't have any ships...
http://imgur.com/BNK8lma

Accented letters don't appear to display correctly in the typeface used for the gametype when viewing the info on a game^

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2014, 10:51 PM
RE: v1.0.1 General Feedback
Hi Rocco. The latest build instantly crashes for me on the splash screen. ios 7.1.2 iphone 5s

I did not get an opportunity yesterday to try the previous build so I do not know if this is new.

Greg
10-08-2014, 11:28 PM
(10-08-2014 10:51 PM)gosenbach Wrote:  Hi Rocco. The latest build instantly crashes for me on the splash screen. ios 7.1.2 iphone 5s

I did not get an opportunity yesterday to try the previous build so I do not know if this is new.

Greg

Me too. Also iOS 7.
10-09-2014, 12:56 AM
Thanks! Should be fixed in 1.0.1.b3.
10-09-2014, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 02:49 PM by VanderLegion.)
Possible suggestions I've thought of with the addition of night mode.

1) New card: Decoy (or whatever name is come up with).

I already proposed this in a game with rocco and Diebo and rocco and I have discussed it a little, but figured I'd throw it up on the forum here as well so more people can join the discussion.

Designed for night games, lets you set up a decoy with lanterns on a raft (or maybe on a launch). The decoy would appear as a ship of war to the opponent (unless they got within a certain range), but would die to a single shot. Basically lets you try to draw them out of position while you set up to tkae them out when they can't shoot back. It would either be immobile and unmanned, just sitting in place, or could perhaps have a single crewman (taken from your ship when the decoy is dropped) and be able to move like 1 hex per turn. If unmanned, could also have it float 1 hex per turn in whatever direction the wind is blowing.

Rocco did make a comment that he wished it had usefulness in the daytime as well cause he'd rather not make a card night only. Not sure if there's a good way to do that. If it was a manned decoy that could move a hex per turn, you might be able to drop it during the day and use it to try to block an opponent's movement (drop it behind your ship so they can't get behind you or something, or drop it and move in front of where an opponent might move?). It'd probably be too small to be able to block shots to protect you from dying, but that's something else that could be looked into.

2) An option (again for night games) to shutter/open up the lamps on the ship. If the shutters are open, you have longer vision, but stand out to the opponents (maybe you can see a ship with it's lamps wide open X number of hexes beyond your normal vision). If the shutters are closed, you have smaller range of vision, but are harder to detect by opposing ships (maybe you don't show up in the outer hex or two of the enemy's vision?)

Or maybe three options, Normal, wide open, and closed. So normal would be the current system, wide open is longer vision, closed is shorter, with the afore-mentioned penalties
While I'm at it:

3) Rocco also mentioned when discussing 1) that with the muzzle flash, cannon fire is visible when there's combat going on out of range of your vision. Might be interesting if you could fire your cannons when there's no ship to shoot at, just fire at an empty hex. Wouldn't probably be all that useful in 1v1 games, but in bigger games, you might be able to set up an ambush by firing at nothing in order to convince other players there's a battle going on to get them to come try to clean up afterward, then hit them with your fully healthy ships.

10-10-2014, 02:50 PM
b3

just starting up the first game, first impressions:

1. scrolling is much easier in setting up of games (card selection)
2. like the help ? button. Hoping it is somewhat context sensitive

(name: alzsandbox) invite me to games guys!
iPad 3

GC ID - alzdragon, GMT-6. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - alzdragon, NT ID - alzdragon
10-10-2014, 03:33 PM
(10-10-2014 02:50 PM)xAlZx Wrote:  2. like the help ? button. Hoping it is somewhat context sensitive

It's not; I did try to keep the content short, concise, and focused on fundamental questions a first time player would need answered. Things like "how to move my ships" and answers to "why don't my ships fire".
10-16-2014, 09:51 AM
Possible idea for night mode games: Have it gradually lighten toward the end of the match leading up to dawn at the end. sfx and I have a match going and we're on turn 42 and haven't even seen each other yet.

Basically, would start on a given turn (30 or 40 perhaps?) then from there gradually lighten on it's way toward dawn. mechanically, it would result in your vision range slowly expanding outward, maybe 1 hex per turn or two? That way if you have 2 fleets that can't find each other, there's a chance of them getting the vision to do so before the game ends.

10-17-2014, 10:50 AM
(10-16-2014 09:51 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Possible idea for night mode games: Have it gradually lighten toward the end of the match leading up to dawn at the end. sfx and I have a match going and we're on turn 42 and haven't even seen each other yet.

Basically, would start on a given turn (30 or 40 perhaps?) then from there gradually lighten on it's way toward dawn. mechanically, it would result in your vision range slowly expanding outward, maybe 1 hex per turn or two? That way if you have 2 fleets that can't find each other, there's a chance of them getting the vision to do so before the game ends.

Yeah; alzdragon made a suggestion that there should be occasional "lightning strikes" which reveal everything.

I'm not entirely certain what I'd like to do about it.
10-17-2014, 04:14 PM
1. Help - Love it! Shows the basics, and good quick reference.
2. Help - Transparent and replay descriptions are backwards.
3. Help - Undo/return to main menu isn't part of the help :-(
4. Next ship button - much clearer as to purpose. Like it.
5. Derelict ship mission - Perfect! Allows player to practice boarding, different ship setups. My first try at this, I used the same ship x3 with different options... learning so much already!
6. Per previous input, would be great to add game options to this mission (Wind speed, Day/Night, Wind direction, starting points (low med high), maybe even a 'tutorial mode' (to walk players through this one... maybe easier with opponent not moving?). Overall, the more things you let the player control (minimize variables), the better. The idea that once they play through several times, and enable more options, they will be ready to take on the other missions...
7. Per previous input, game options in general would be great... ala SO galaxy type, shape, etc...
8. New missions gives player a kind of growth path (derelict, then tired opponent). Brilliant. And like the descriptions. But if the ships have the plague, do we want to attempt boarding?
9. Along those lines, how about abandoned vessels as an option, where they are originally neutral, but one could potentially board them and add them to their fleet? Or potentially have the plague, and your crew boarding kills the crew on both vessels? (or zombie/ghosts, and attacks everyone? All game options of course. ok, maybe I'm getting carried away. or not. :-)
10. Special powers (captain card or special "boarded ship") that gives ability to call a KRAKEN one time to destroy an enemy vessel within xx spaces, or a randomly selected vessel of opponent?
11. Really like VanderLegion's idea of dark to light. Maybe even light to dark too (give you an oppty to stay in shadows and attack as the game progresses). Sounds like a good game option!
12. Storm as a game option (Lightning, unpredictable winds) still sounds cool to me
13. Established colonies on land could fire cannons if you get too close to the coast could be an interesting future. One would have to 'dock' at an island and establish a colony, where you could create a 'stronghold'. Would need a larger fleet to start with and give up your ship to occupy a fort on the island to man the cannons; use other ships to lure the opponent. Thoughts of bigger maps, bigger fleets, infinite timers, ability to 'storm' a colony and take over.... ability to build new ships with established colonies.

Stream of consciousness kind of got the best of me there... hope you find some helpful nuggets.

~Alize

GC ID - alzdragon, GMT-6. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - alzdragon, NT ID - alzdragon