Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Multiplayer Guide
11-03-2014, 08:12 PM
Multiplayer Guide
Hi,

I've read most of the strategy guides and feel I have a reasonable grasp of the game but before throwing myself into multiplayer, I was wondering if there are any guides available that specifically target the 1v1 multiplayer game type?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2014, 01:49 AM
RE: Multiplayer Guide
Take a look at Anthee's guide. He is one of the best players this game has seen. The guide is excellent and players of all levels would benefit from reading it in full. And then reading it again.

Welcome to the magical world of multiplayer.
11-04-2014, 02:13 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2014 02:14 AM by Yojimbo252.)
Yes I've read that guide and it is very good indeed.

I guess what I'm angling for (and perhaps I should have been more specific) is what for example are the 'stereotypical' fleet types that currently dominate the 1v1 metagame? And before any jumps down my throat I'm not looking for the 'best' fleet type as I appreciate in any balanced game there is no such thing. But essentially what are the strongest fleet types to choose from (and which counters which) and what simply isn't cost effective enough to compete in the current version of the game?

I fully accept I'm looking for a leg up here so I can hit the ground running but only so I can be reasonably competitive and not waste anyone's time.
11-04-2014, 04:05 AM
(11-04-2014 02:13 AM)Yojimbo252 Wrote:  Yes I've read that guide and it is very good indeed.

I guess what I'm angling for (and perhaps I should have been more specific) is what for example are the 'stereotypical' fleet types that currently dominate the 1v1 metagame? And before any jumps down my throat I'm not looking for the 'best' fleet type as I appreciate in any balanced game there is no such thing. But essentially what are the strongest fleet types to choose from (and which counters which) and what simply isn't cost effective enough to compete in the current version of the game?

I fully accept I'm looking for a leg up here so I can hit the ground running but only so I can be reasonably competitive and not waste anyone's time.

It is so variable, and depends on the map size and other player(s).

My recommendation is to just jump in, and get a feel for it. You won't disappoint anyone by losing but trying. The big difference in multi-player versus single isn't as much fleet composition, but speed and path to making that fleet.

If you go nuke, it is best to have a bunch of them (to counter PDS), and use them early (before ECM). Warlord 1 is a big bonus. Nuke 3 and Fast Missile Launcher with Warlord 2 really make a potent ship (but the opponent will probably be close to ECM by that point).

Gauss is best early, before shields can be researched. Combat engines are a good combo. Lasers are also nice to help take down shields, and as nukes to hit structure and slow a ship down so the gauss can catch up.

Laser is solid early and later, especially if combined later with something that can help take out structure (like IPC or nuke). I've lost numerous games when gauss or nukes get obsolete. But that doesn't make laser the best choice. An early nuke rush with warlord 1 and nuke 2 is hard to counter.

Researching level 3 of laser or nuke is great, as it increases the damage and lowers the cost. Not as critical on gauss.

The later stage weapons are very expensive to research and build, but may be worth it if the game goes late.

Don't feel bad about asking questions during a game, and welcome to multi-player!
11-04-2014, 05:54 AM
Thanks for that, I appreciate the advice.