Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tech builds too powerful?
01-08-2015, 08:08 AM
RE: Tech builds too powerful?
Yah, my problem with tinkerers is that I find it useless early game (whohooo, 18-20 pts of research per turn gets me......), and late game even 100 research points per turn is pretty irrelevant. Plus, by then, if you're an industry build and haven't won the game already you're probably screwed anyways.

Honestly I just think at this point, the competitive builds are going to be either blitz on med/small maps, or research builds with robust techies.

1.09 Tournament Champion (February, 2012)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2015, 05:16 PM
Sloth and Shep:

Tinkers is not a bad trait. +1 RP per worker for two racial points invested is in line with the cost-to-effect ratio of Quick Thinkers (+1.5 RP per scientist for three racial points), although there is the +100 cap and it's a global trait which means it doesn't stack with any percentage bonuses to productivity (namely morale and/or Persnickety).

The reason it feels so weak is that many players using industry builds would like to rely on it alone for science. Well, obviously it isn't enough for that and a two-point-trait isn't even supposed to solve all your science needs. You're doing it wrong if that's what you're trying: industry builds need to assign scientists too, just like science builds also have to assign workers.

The cost of Robust Techies should certainly be raised to at least 3 points, possibly even doubled to 4 points, but Tinkers would be too good as a 1-point-trait. Two points for Tinkers is fine as it is but I think the cap could be removed, it doesn't really serve any purpose.

GC ID: anthee999
01-19-2015, 02:02 PM
(01-08-2015 05:16 PM)anthee Wrote:  Sloth and Shep:

Tinkers is not a bad trait. +1 RP per worker for two racial points invested is in line with the cost-to-effect ratio of Quick Thinkers (+1.5 RP per scientist for three racial points), although there is the +100 cap and it's a global trait which means it doesn't stack with any percentage bonuses to productivity (namely morale and/or Persnickety).

The reason it feels so weak is that many players using industry builds would like to rely on it alone for science. Well, obviously it isn't enough for that and a two-point-trait isn't even supposed to solve all your science needs. You're doing it wrong if that's what you're trying: industry builds need to assign scientists too, just like science builds also have to assign workers.

The cost of Robust Techies should certainly be raised to at least 3 points, possibly even doubled to 4 points, but Tinkers would be too good as a 1-point-trait. Two points for Tinkers is fine as it is but I think the cap could be removed, it doesn't really serve any purpose.

Anthee, excellent point about over-relying on Tinkerers. You also make a good point about the cost.

If industry builds need dedicated researchers, since Research Centers and Orbital Labs no longer provide passive bonuses, then perhaps Diebo's right that the passive bonuses for Efficient Factories and Planetary Core Mining should also be removed, so tech builds must also dedicate population if they want production. That'd make for harder choices all around.

-------------------------
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
- Abraham Lincoln, lawyer and president (1809-1865)
- Hat tip to LacyJ3
03-24-2015, 09:52 AM
My stats gathering is complete and currently in the whipping post. Also included are my work-in-progress changes coming up in v1.2.6; much of which is reflected here, along with some new stuff.

I mention this so you're free to look at the gathered stats ( for instance, Tinkers and Techies both appear to be at a healthy place! ). We should also be starting to beta test v1.2.6 soon-ish, so check back later this week if you want to join the testing group. As mentioned in the past, I usually place more credence on opinions which get tested out during the beta test, rather than theory-crafting without play testing.
03-24-2015, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 10:31 AM by VanderLegion.)
Lol at the 1 single mammoth built. Does the hatchery count as a mammoth for that calculation (If so, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that's what it was Tongue)

Can't wait for beta!

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
03-24-2015, 12:02 PM
(03-24-2015 10:31 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Lol at the 1 single mammoth built. Does the hatchery count as a mammoth for that calculation (If so, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that's what it was Tongue)

Can't wait for beta!

Haha, yeah that was probably it.