Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Noob says hello
01-04-2015, 02:29 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2015 02:31 AM by tylertoo.)
Noob says hello
Hello!

As an old (55!) MoO2 fan, I've been itching to play Starbase Orion for some time. But the problem was that the only mobile device I had was an iPhone, and I doubted that my aging eyes could handle the game on such a small screen.

So now.... Santa just brought me an iPad mini 3 (what a guy) and I am ready to purchase. I can handle this on the larger screen. This game is the main reason I wanted a tablet.

A long time ago I had downloaded the SO demo (First Contact) and am now playing through the tutorial. I will purchase the game once I swap out the Gamestop giftcard that Santa also brought for an iTunes card. Wink

But.... I see version 2 is in development. Is its release imminent? Should I just wait for that? I couldn't find the ETA on that.

Rocco I'm a regular reader at the Pocket Tactics site and fwiw learned of your games through there.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2015, 03:32 AM
RE: Noob says hello
(01-04-2015 02:29 AM)tylertoo Wrote:  But.... I see version 2 is in development. Is its release imminent? Should I just wait for that? I couldn't find the ETA on that.

Rocco I'm a regular reader at the Pocket Tactics site and fwiw learned of your games through there.

Welcome! Nice to see more PT regulars here Smile

Current estimates are that SO2 won't be out until the latter half of 2015, so you've got some time.
01-05-2015, 03:59 AM
Jump in, the water is nice and warm!

Even if SO2 was coming out next month, I'd say there is plenty about SO1 that would warrant the price for even just a month's play. I've been playing for almost 3 years now and it still holds my interest.
01-05-2015, 09:21 AM
(01-05-2015 03:59 AM)Diebo Wrote:  Jump in, the water is nice and warm!

Even if SO2 was coming out next month, I'd say there is plenty about SO1 that would warrant the price for even just a month's play. I've been playing for almost 3 years now and it still holds my interest.

Agreed, we're always happy to have more players in multiplayer once you figure out what you're doing Smile. I've been playing for well over 3 years now, only game that I've played consistently for anywhere near that long on my iphone. It's never left my phone and I don't know that there's ever been a time I didn't hvae at least a game or two going in that entire time. At times I've been up to 15+ games going at once.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
01-06-2015, 02:07 AM
Thank you for the welcome gentlemen.

Questions: how long do MP games generally take? How do you keep track of the save games with multiple MP games going at once?
01-06-2015, 02:38 AM
(01-06-2015 02:07 AM)tylertoo Wrote:  Questions: how long do MP games generally take? How do you keep track of the save games with multiple MP games going at once?

I'd say on average my 1v1 games take about 100 - 120 turns. In 1v1's you enter in two turns of orders each time you open the app, so really it feels more like 50 turns.

I'd say an average "active" player plays about 5-8 times a day (10-16 game turns), so you finish the game in about a week. A more casual player plays about 1-2 times a day ( 2-4 game turns ) and it takes a while longer.

The more players you have the more you multiple the time, but those games are fun and have their own unique charm as well.
01-07-2015, 12:26 AM
Thanks Rocco. I would head on over to the MP forum to look for a 1v1 opponent who might go easy on me :o