Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Weapons Ranges ( as of 3/30/2015 )
03-31-2015, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2015 07:37 AM by rocco.)
Weapons Ranges ( as of 3/30/2015 )
Gauss Turret: 5
Ion Pulse Cannon: 11
Laser Beam: 13
Proton Torpedos: 15
Plasma Turret: 17
Nuclear Missile: 22

In a 1v1 battle, ships start 20 units apart.

( exact weapon ranges was requested in a beta game, posting here for everyone ).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2015, 07:49 AM
RE: Weapons Ranges ( as of 3/30/2015 )
(03-31-2015 07:36 AM)rocco Wrote:  Gauss Turret: 5
Ion Pulse Cannon: 11
Laser Beam: 13
Proton Torpedos: 15
Plasma Turret: 17
Nuclear Missile: 22

In a 1v1 battle, ships start 20 units apart.

( exact weapon ranges was requested in a beta game, posting here for everyone ).

I'm curious how much of a difference dropping the range on nukes will make. You can still hit from the starting lines without moving, though I guess with larger fleets you won't be able to hit all of the opponents ships with all of yours (presumably the rangre would get up over 22 if you're well ofset from each other).

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
03-31-2015, 07:54 AM
(03-31-2015 07:49 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  I'm curious how much of a difference dropping the range on nukes will make. You can still hit from the starting lines without moving, though I guess with larger fleets you won't be able to hit all of the opponents ships with all of yours (presumably the rangre would get up over 22 if you're well ofset from each other).

We did some tests when I had initially dropped it to 20; FML nuke frigates with hold position were still able to fire all of their nukes prior to a laser fleet killing them all (I am forgetting exact ship configs atm).

So far my experience with nukes from beta testing is I think we're getting closer to a good place for them. I think their armor damage modifier needs adjusted to 50-60% instead of 30%. I like their range being over 20, it allows them to retain their long range leader sniping ability.
03-31-2015, 08:02 AM
(03-31-2015 07:54 AM)rocco Wrote:  
(03-31-2015 07:49 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  I'm curious how much of a difference dropping the range on nukes will make. You can still hit from the starting lines without moving, though I guess with larger fleets you won't be able to hit all of the opponents ships with all of yours (presumably the rangre would get up over 22 if you're well ofset from each other).

We did some tests when I had initially dropped it to 20; FML nuke frigates with hold position were still able to fire all of their nukes prior to a laser fleet killing them all (I am forgetting exact ship configs atm).

So far my experience with nukes from beta testing is I think we're getting closer to a good place for them. I think their armor damage modifier needs adjusted to 50-60% instead of 30%. I like their range being over 20, it allows them to retain their long range leader sniping ability.

I was more thinking that I'm not sure what the nerf to range accomplishes if it doesn't remove the ability to hit without moving. That's a large part of what makes nukes so good right now (though the damage penalties should help with that), the fact that you can just hold position and fire off most of your ammo (if not all of it) before the opponent even gets in range to do any meaningful damage. Changing from 30 to 22 doesn't change much of anything (except perhaps if you evade on your nuke ships, but then you already have the miss chance from evading)

03-31-2015, 08:10 AM
(03-31-2015 08:02 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  I was more thinking that I'm not sure what the nerf to range accomplishes if it doesn't remove the ability to hit without moving. That's a large part of what makes nukes so good right now (though the damage penalties should help with that), the fact that you can just hold position and fire off most of your ammo (if not all of it) before the opponent even gets in range to do any meaningful damage. Changing from 30 to 22 doesn't change much of anything (except perhaps if you evade on your nuke ships, but then you already have the miss chance from evading)

It changes now that there is the "Keep Max Range" option; before your only option was keep long range, which just caused your ships to fly closer and die (once I fix the bug were no weapons equates to 0 max range, that is).

I don't plan on touching them much for another week or so, let people continue playing with them in beta.
03-31-2015, 08:32 AM
(03-31-2015 08:10 AM)rocco Wrote:  
(03-31-2015 08:02 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  I was more thinking that I'm not sure what the nerf to range accomplishes if it doesn't remove the ability to hit without moving. That's a large part of what makes nukes so good right now (though the damage penalties should help with that), the fact that you can just hold position and fire off most of your ammo (if not all of it) before the opponent even gets in range to do any meaningful damage. Changing from 30 to 22 doesn't change much of anything (except perhaps if you evade on your nuke ships, but then you already have the miss chance from evading)

It changes now that there is the "Keep Max Range" option; before your only option was keep long range, which just caused your ships to fly closer and die (once I fix the bug were no weapons equates to 0 max range, that is).

I don't plan on touching them much for another week or so, let people continue playing with them in beta.

Ahh, didn't think about keep max range.

05-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Keep Mid Range equates to a ship trying to stay between 4 and 6 units from target.

Keep Long Range equates to a ship trying to stay between 9 and 11 units from target.

Keep Max Range equates to a ship, where X is the maximum range of their longest weapon, to stay between X-2 and X units from target.
07-19-2015, 03:59 AM
I don't see a "keep max range". Was that taken off? Or did they blend it with "keep long range"?

I guess I'm asking bc I'm wondering how I can hit and move with my PC and keep my laser opponents out of range...
07-19-2015, 04:42 AM
(07-19-2015 03:59 AM)Superman Complex Wrote:  I don't see a "keep max range". Was that taken off? Or did they blend it with "keep long range"?

I guess I'm asking bc I'm wondering how I can hit and move with my PC and keep my laser opponents out of range...

You've wandered into the Research Lab, where the player in the beta testing group discuss changes which are coming up.

In short, keep max range will be in the next update.
07-19-2015, 08:45 AM
Oh. Ok. Thanks Rocco...

*Sneaks a test tube labeled "super powers".*

I'll show myself out.