Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Interview on Explorminate
07-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Interview on Explorminate
Just a big thank you to Oliver "Mezmorki" Kiley for interviewing yours truly on eXplorminate. Mezmorki has been a SO player in the shadows for many years, has been part of the beta testing group many times, and is an all around a nice guy. Cheers!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2015, 02:20 PM
RE: Interview on Explorminate
Awesome, I'll hafta go check it out

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
07-02-2015, 02:43 PM
Good article. And thanks for avoiding the freemium bs. I'm looking forward to SBO 2.

In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences.
- Robert Green Ingersoll, lawyer and orator (1833-1899)
07-02-2015, 03:48 PM
Quote:Oliver: A recent discussion in the eXplorminate forums was about whether or not there was a market for “core” strategy games in the mobile realm. Some people asked “why would a core PC gamer even ‘want’ to play a mobile game in the first place?” I’m curious what you think. If you had to sell a PC gamer on trying out premium mobile games, what might the hook or appeal be?

Rocco: Because you can easily use an iPad on your toilet.

Oliver: Ha! Yes, and it is another good reason not to let your friends mess with your … uhh … iThing. But seriously…

Rocco: In my non-scientific, common-sense reckoning of things, as a person develops in their life, more and more things start to take priority. Gamers graduate school, gamers get jobs, gamers have kids. These things take up more and more of their time, leaving less and less time for dedicated gaming. Your 4 hours a night turns into 1 hour a night, which turns into gaming only on Tuesdays. What’s a core gamer like that supposed to do? Quit gaming? Succumb to the inane world that is “casual” mobile gaming? I believe these dedicated, but suddenly very busy, gamers would love to play a core game during the bits and pieces of time they have throughout their day.

Too often people associate “mobile” gaming with “casual” gaming. I have much respect for companies like Super Evil Megacorp; they made VainGlory, a core game on mobile without compromise. I believe there is a bright future for core gaming on mobile, for those crazy enough to walk that path.

Pretty much all of this exactly. The way I look at it, depending on the game I'd frequently rather play it on my iPhone/iPad where I can play it whenever and wherever I want. I can lounge on the couch or in bed and play a few tunrs instead of having to be sitting at my computer. The iPad is perfect for asynchronous games. If I'm playing on my computer I'd generally be playing live MP instead.

And I've found since I got the iPad (and the iPhone) that I frequently find myself wondering why I would WANT to play a game on the computer if I could be playing it on my iPad instead. Games like X-Com and similar. If I can play the same game on either platform and the controls work well for iPad (as they do in xcom) I'd rather play it on the iPad. I'll use my computer for the games I cant play ont he tablet. Things like StarCraft, or shooters - some of which I CAN play on the tablet, but work better on a computer, or space sims like Elite Dangerous - where I want the joystick and the bigger screen.

And I agree with Arly, love that you've avoided freemium and stuck to premium games. I try to buy a lot of the more expensive/premium games just to help support the developers whether I get around to playing the game or not. I have Baldur's Gate and Bioshock both for iPad and have barely played either for instance. I really wish more developers would ditch freemium and get some more high quality premium games on the market.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion