Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Is artificial nebula worth it?
07-17-2015, 08:05 AM
Is artificial nebula worth it?
I've personally never been able to use artificial nebula. It is deep in the tree and takes a lot of RP to acquire it, and a ton of money to build it. Even a starbase III upgrade is cheaper. I have a strong feeling if I did manage to build it, someone would just by pass the fortress planet.

Plus it is a double edged sword. Yes, when all things are equal it gives your starbase a slight advantage over all those shielded frigates which it can burst down easier, but it also renders your fleet shieldless. Unless you are planning on wasting money building these on all of your planets, and playing defensive (no need to build shields on your new fleet) I don't see how it is viable, even to resarch it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2015, 12:24 PM
RE: Is artificial nebula worth it?
You are correct in your assessment. Artificial nebulae are only useful in those rare cases where you know your opponent does not have shield modulators equipped and you can research and build it quickly. (Or if you're reasonably confident that they've passed shield modulators in the tech tree and won't be able to get them for a long time, while you yourself have the tech)
11-05-2015, 12:36 PM
They usually aren't to helpful in the fact that instead of spending all your time with It you could probably just build a starbase with the firepower to overcome shields

w0we xd
11-06-2015, 02:01 AM
I think artificial nebula has its place. It is a late game tech. You probably won't find a use for it in most 1v1 games.

By the time you should be researching it/installing it, the cost and time to produce it are minimal. You'll already have most techs. Your biggest limit will be Command Points and managing those. Once you get Warp Gate 2, have Gaias all over, Robotics 2, PCM, ACP3, have 500 pop, etc. building/researching artificial nebula really isn't a struggle.

At that point in the game, one huge ship battle can determine the outcome. If players have warp gate 2 installed, any attack on any planet can bring in the entire opposing fleet. Any advantage (such as you having shields, and the opponent not) can be decisive.

The main reason to use it is to get rid of frigates and to a lesser extent destroyers. In previous versions a frigate with shield 4, 3 proton 3, FML, 2 ammo was a powerful combination. Take down the shields, and that super-powerful combination can be killed relatively easily. To add shield mod to a frigate means giving up ammo or armor or ECM, a hard choice.

This in turn encourages bigger ships, which are most Command Point cost effective.

I agree however that in 95+ percent of games, it doesn't make sense to research or build. It all depends on your playing style, and the opponents you play. I've used it a lot over the years.
11-06-2015, 04:13 AM
(11-05-2015 12:36 PM)Thevasscollective Wrote:  They usually aren't to helpful in the fact that instead of spending all your time with It you could probably just build a starbase with the firepower to overcome shields

Generally speaking nebula is something you build AFTER your starbase.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
11-06-2015, 08:12 AM
Well it is late game and star bases you can get from nearly the beginning

w0we xd
11-07-2015, 04:19 PM
And don't they also disable friendly shield

w0we xd
11-10-2015, 11:13 AM
(11-07-2015 04:19 PM)Thevasscollective Wrote:  And don't they also disable friendly shield

Not if the friendly ships have shield modulators Smile

11-10-2015, 02:32 PM
[/quote]

Not if the friendly ships have shield modulators Smile
[/quote]

Then can't the enemy's also use the modulators

w0we xd
11-10-2015, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2015 03:22 PM by VanderLegion.)
(11-10-2015 02:32 PM)Thevasscollective Wrote:  Then can't the enemy's also use the modulators

Yes they can. I didn't say that there wasn't a counter, just that if you're planning to build ANs, you probably either have modulators or arne't using shields in the first place. A lot (most?) people don't boether with shield modulators on a regular basis so you can potentially catch them unprepared.