Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Weird ring galaxies
11-07-2015, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2015 04:30 PM by Sanbi.)
Weird ring galaxies
In the orion league I have this great void on a ring galaxy, which I haven't seen before. It's going to be a long game, and we need to research deep into the fuel cells before we can reach each other.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2m7ya35.png
http://i63.tinypic.com/15f6ezn.png
This is the distance from my homeworld to the nearest white star on the right. Assuming I can build a colony ship at the red star, there are 17 parsacs I need to cross before we can do battle, assuming again I can build a colony at his white star!

If I don't take fuel cell its hopeless:
http://i65.tinypic.com/2z9a3af.png

Does anyone have a good strategy?! It's supposed to be a small galaxy, but I think we will need to research the maximum fuel cell IV, or fuel cell III and galactic navigators to reach each other. The leaders might help too unless someone bans them!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2015, 04:00 AM
RE: Weird ring galaxies
That happens sometimes in a small ring galaxy. You'll need either FC4 or FC3 + Additional Fuel Reserves + Galactic Navigators to cross 17 parsecs.

I won't give any concrete advice because that's your OL match and your opponent won't necessarily be able to see the same advice.

GC ID: anthee999
11-08-2015, 05:54 AM
How fun! I love the Orion League settings. I play games I never otherwise would have. It really makes you think. I'd love a ring like you have.
11-10-2015, 11:12 AM
I love the small ring galaxies with giant gaps between the players. Makes for a big difference in how you play the game when you can't reach each other without major fuel cell research.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
11-10-2015, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2015 06:57 AM by Sanbi.)
Yeah, I've been able to take the long approach and have terraformed four gaias I wouldn't have otherwise had. I decided to go pure science (a common build from the last patch), and my opponent went hybrid science and industry with charismatic.

I went full civil tech at first, and didn't take galactic navigators to make it take longer for my opponent to make first contact, because I had took repulsive. He researched fuel cell III early, but found out he still couldn't spy on me effectively from so far away, so he tried twice to send some weak scif frigates and destroyers equipped with fuel reserves. The trouble is I could see them slowly crossing over from 8 turns away, so I had plenty of time to do some simple millitary tech, and build things to chase them off or destroy them - they could only reach two planets anyway! That's been the only combat for the past 110 turns!

After that I researched colonial security, built defensive spies, and went through the civil and astro tech, reasoning that since I had more science, if he tried to attack again I could just build a teched up starbase to hold him off, especially since there aren't many planets he can attack. I skipped fuel cell though, so I can't launch an offensive for a long time. The main weakness of my build has been that I have a lot of expensive buildings that are killing me. (Colonial maintainence costs 179 gold a turn atm, and for a while I needed 4 core planets on economic funding to avoid bankruptcy.)

The game isn't over yet, but it has been very unusual. It feels like a bit like a cold war really, and by the time I'm ready to attack with some big ships, I expect that a massive fleet will be waiting for me. It might have even been a stalemate if there were no leaders, and we had both gone science, followed a similar research path, and followed the same defensive strategy.

Useless tech this game:
Scif, offensive spying, stardrive, ef2, warp gates, low level tech in general.

Update for late game conclusion:
researching fuel cells IV would have taken 20 turns since I skipped it. Instead I won X, researched cloaking device, built scif, and switched all my defensive spies to offense for a turn to steal it instead. On the same spy roll I found out from the chart that my production and tech were way higher even though I had over 200 defensive spies and was still bleeding tech. So I immediately built battleships with proton III (which could reach him now) and sent them to finish the game.