11-09-2015, 03:17 PM
Any tips on starting a multiplayer game
I'm not very good and kinda tired of getting ran over

w0we xd
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2015, 02:46 AM
RE: Any tips on starting a multiplayer game
I assume you're asking about early strategies to use against other human players.
One thing I used to do often that helped me a lot, was that after an opponent "ran me over" and won the game, I would:
-Look at the history charts
-look at their race attributes
-look at the map history going back to turn one
-jot down what turns (roughly) that they started colonizing planets and what turns roughly they started building fleets and roughly what turn they overwhelmed me.
-jot down the map settings

Then I would create a new single player game with the same map setting (against an easy computer), using their racial build for my own, and see if I can duplicate what they did.
That was the quickest path to insight for me, and it had the side affect of turning boring losing games into a fun chance to learn new strategies.
You may find yourself thinking, "oh, that's how they did it! Well, if that's the case, I could do even better if I swapped this trait for a different one!"
Good luck, have fun, and feel free to ask further questions in the Admiral's Quarters, that's where most of the talk of strategy and tactics take place.
11-10-2015, 02:55 AM
(11-10-2015 02:46 AM)Davabled Wrote:  I assume you're asking about early strategies to use against other human players.
One thing I used to do often that helped me a lot, was that after an opponent "ran me over" and won the game, I would:
-Look at the history charts
-look at their race attributes
-look at the map history going back to turn one
-jot down what turns (roughly) that they started colonizing planets and what turns roughly they started building fleets and roughly what turn they overwhelmed me.
-jot down the map settings

Then I would create a new single player game with the same map setting (against an easy computer), using their racial build for my own, and see if I can duplicate what they did.
That was the quickest path to insight for me, and it had the side affect of turning boring losing games into a fun chance to learn new strategies.
You may find yourself thinking, "oh, that's how they did it! Well, if that's the case, I could do even better if I swapped this trait for a different one!"
Good luck, have fun, and feel free to ask further questions in the Admiral's Quarters, that's where most of the talk of strategy and tactics take place.

Thank you and I think I found a race build that works for me

w0we xd
11-10-2015, 03:42 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2015 03:45 AM by Sanbi.)
I also look at the charts after a game to understand how people won, and where the turning points were. I haven't jotted down the exact turns when things happen, but after a while you get an intuitive sense of when the optimal time to build fleets are, etc. You begin to expect they're readying a certain kind of fleet even if you don't see them doing anything, and react preemptively.

I tend to go so far as to overestimate my opponents, even when they're beginners. I often build a fleet at some point to counter an expected attack that I consider the optimal move for their side, except the fleet never comes. But I still keep building ships to the command limit, and then send my ships and overwhelm them, and if they haven't built enough ships or stopped researching civil tech to research enough millitary tech, I win the game.
01-07-2016, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2016 12:04 PM by Tyro the creator.)
Also have a definite strategy against spies or they will utterly wreck you a nerd for them please
I'm sorry I meant a nerf