Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Spying needs adjusting
12-01-2015, 04:06 AM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2015 04:14 AM by Sanbi.)
RE: Spying needs adjusting
I have a team game going vs an ai with a 60% contact ratingand charismatic. The ai (hard with bonuses), sent a fleet of over 16 proton ships/troop ships that would have reached my planet in 2 turns. The turn before they arrived, I switched to disrupt millitary and got a double or triple delay to around 9 turns. Since then I've kept slowing the fleet. It has been delayed nearly 20 turns of disruption already, with the number of ships shrinking to around 8. (The Ai hasnt exactly skimped on building spies either.)

This fleet disruption thing is kind of op. I know a smart human would spread his ships so they would be disrupted individually, but if you had two planets building ships to face off against each other, and one tried to launch a surprise attack, this would seal the fate of the one with the delayed fleet.

The trouble is if you cant reach the enemy planet in one turn and were disrupted, you are sure to be disrupted again. I used the time to build a triple starbase and nebula, and my ships conquered most of the ai's stars while trying to keep the time to rush back before the fleet returns, if it ever does. I could even just let him take the my planet and blow up the rest of his planets without hope for a counter attack. Effectively, the disruptions have meant I dont have to fight the fleet, which would probably feel cheap to a human player.

Imo the number of permissable fleet delays should be reduced: you shouldn't be allowed to consecutively delay a fleet that would have arrived in 1 turn to around 20 turns. The maximum disruption should be proportional to either your original starting speed on departure, or your stardrive tech, with a minimum speed. I'm not sure if using Morph to merge fleets could be used to circumvent this though.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2015, 03:28 AM
Just about everything should have reduced effect, spying is just nonsense to have as a means to win in itself, it's just too simple and crude mechanic. Right now you can steal so much tech in such a short time, you don't need to focus on research at all, it's nonsense
12-08-2015, 02:07 PM
My least favorite part of spying has to be the instant killing of starbases....

w0we xd
04-09-2016, 11:19 PM
OK, I signed up for this forum because of the spying issue. I was a rabid MOO2 player, and bought SO as soon as it came out. Played it all the time, particularly on long plane flights which I take a lot. Loved the game and loved watching it grow.

Now I can't play it. The spying is ridiculous. I've read through this forum, including the lectures by the developers on why we should learn to love spying. If you are lecturing your customers you are doing it wrong, guys.

You need to stick to the gameplay that made MOO, and early SO, great. Don't tell us what we should want, give us what we want. A simple toggle to turn off spying would allow players to use it or not. Simplicity is important, I loved Spaceward Ho! in the nineties.

I've had to stop playing SO because I hate spy builds and don't want to deal with them. Please add a toggle to turn it off so I can play your awesome game again. If not, Wargaming is bringing MOO back out soon and I guess I'll have to go with that. It's not for mobile apps tho.

Don't tell us what we should want. Give us what we want, please. I miss playing...
-xipe
04-13-2016, 01:43 AM
(04-09-2016 11:19 PM)xipe kendo Wrote:  OK, I signed up for this forum because of the spying issue. I was a rabid MOO2 player, and bought SO as soon as it came out. Played it all the time, particularly on long plane flights which I take a lot. Loved the game and loved watching it grow.

Now I can't play it. The spying is ridiculous. I've read through this forum, including the lectures by the developers on why we should learn to love spying. If you are lecturing your customers you are doing it wrong, guys.

You need to stick to the gameplay that made MOO, and early SO, great. Don't tell us what we should want, give us what we want. A simple toggle to turn off spying would allow players to use it or not. Simplicity is important, I loved Spaceward Ho! in the nineties.

I've had to stop playing SO because I hate spy builds and don't want to deal with them. Please add a toggle to turn it off so I can play your awesome game again. If not, Wargaming is bringing MOO back out soon and I guess I'll have to go with that. It's not for mobile apps tho.

Don't tell us what we should want. Give us what we want, please. I miss playing...
-xipe

Just a little clarification. There is only one developer (Rocco). And Rocco's position on this topic as posted above is "In general, I agree with Anthee & Diebo; the upgraded spying is a new threat people are as yet not accustomed to dealing with. People will either learn adapt for it, or the server stats will show that spying needs a nerf (and subsequent nerf will follow)."

That was five months ago. And since that time, I think there is universal agreement that spying needs a nerf. And that a toggle to turn it on/off would be appreciated.

If you look through the Whipping Post, you will notice two things: 1. Rocco has continually tweaked this game to provide better balance and to respond to requests from the community; and 2. The frequency of tweaks and updates has gone from frequent to rare. My best guess is that Roc is focusing his limited programming time to developing Starbase Orion 2.

Roc, any way to bring spying back to the previous version? Or does that involve so many things that it is the effort of a full update?
04-20-2016, 04:27 AM
I'm long, long overdue to finally purchase Starbase Orion. It sounds like the sequel is still a long ways off. Reading this thread has me wondering about Starbase Orion support level. Of course I wouldn't expect major updates to the 5 year old product. But it would be nice to know if the balancing needs to tweaked that it would happen.
05-19-2019, 04:44 AM
Ostatni post
No, but I would like to use some. Makes sense though Im sure I can find 3 more reasons to post lol.