Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Money builds
11-18-2015, 05:02 AM
Money builds
I played a game against someone who went fertile biology, shared intel, and money lenders (who researched trade port.) Now that leaders appear earlier, when would it be viable to go for a build to focus on making gold? I'm thinking maybe in a FFA if there was a leader that was absolutely OP. Otherwise I think its still more important to have amazing industrialists than simply more money, so you can build ships, buildings or spies more efficiently.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2015, 05:43 AM
RE: Money builds
I employed a similar build against Emp in my league division and won. 1v1 huge, ring, balanced, young galaxy, advanced empire, monsters and specials. I went Inadequate Farmers, SI, Slow as Sloths, Slow Thinkers, Prosperous Businessment, Fertile Biology, High Grav, Huge Homeworld, Rich Homeworld, Gal Nav, Repulsive, Techies.

The basic concept behind that build is that to can get a lot of bonus points since SI will make up for all of the flat negative production traits on high population worlds; with the added benefit that your population is just as good at research as industry when they need to be. Expand aggressively to maximize population growth. Early to mid game you play like a research race, where the robust techies + the extra income provide enough to keep production working while your researching at max. Obviously you need to prioritize ACP as you can't trust to luck to find perfect SI planets, but a naturally 12 person planet + ACP3 means a SI bonus of about +1.5. Generally around mid-game, once you research a good baseline of tier I ship tech I switch everyone over to production and go on the offensive.
11-21-2015, 05:56 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2015 06:08 AM by Sanbi.)
RE: Money builds
Well I tried it with money lenders and itt worked surprisingly well (on a large spiral with no monsters/specials against a spy build.) However, I traded rich homeworld for poor homeworld. The idea is that if you research trade ports, and avoid early confrontations, you should be making so much gold you should be able to win magistrate xalon which is even better than having a rich homeworld; or you can at least win cerebrum/the farmer. That's 4 more points if you're willing to follow a flexible strategy that's dictated by the leaders you win.

Btw I think combat pilots is a more powerful trait in this patch because people are building fewer, bigger ships, and they don't always try to reach the command limit before they attack. It lets you skip researching combat engines too, if you have a particular build path in mind. Morever, its the most flexible combat trait, because it doesn't encourage you to be predictable and research and stack the best armor, or take lasers and keep long range (with fantastic engineers). Even if you just research nukes, it makes it a bad idea for your opponent to research gauss or lasers because they'll have trouble reaching you.