Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fleet strategy- easthu pulsar
12-02-2015, 04:01 AM
Fleet strategy- easthu pulsar
Hey everyone!

Still a very new player but I've been trying to learn from your guys' strategies on this forum. I just finished a game that was going along great. I took a huge research lead and was beginning the mid game and my gauss cannon fleets were mowing through systems until I encountered a battleship with a leader on board. It wiped out two of my invasion fleets and if the ai had been smart enough to pull it back to a Starbase to heal, it probably would've caused me more trouble but the third fleet finally got it. The problem was Easthu's pulse. What's the counter to this leader ability when you've concentrated on small ship gauss cannon fleets? Thanks for your input!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2015, 04:54 AM
RE: Fleet strategy- easthu pulsar
What kind of ship did easther have? The pulse is short to medium range and does a hundred something in damage at close range to all neighboring ships, so he is a hard counter to tiny gauss frigates, or gauss in general.

If you focus on researching long range weapons, keep your distance and build ships small enough to outrun it (or with combat engines) you should be able to stand your ground. It will tear through your lightly armored starbases early game though, especialy since his ship will on average dodges 50 percent of damage. (That translates to twice the hp!) I usually put him on a gauss or ion canon battleship when I win him since he is good close range.

He is an underrated leader imo.
12-02-2015, 05:16 AM
RE: Fleet strategy- easthu pulsar
Thanks for the reply Sanbi!
Yes the problem was I had focused too much of my research on gauss cannons and too much of my production on gauss cannon cruisers. He was on a battleship. I was completely ineffective at long range so despite my quicker ships I had no choice but to close the gap and take him down, suffering my own casualties in the process. Once I had already lost a fleet and saw his power, I went ahead and threw my other main fleet at him because I thought it would be close to finishing him and then I could rebuild a quick invasion fleet. Well when that fleet lost the good news was he was down to 13% health or so at that point and I did what I had to do to quickly finish him off. As I mentioned, if the AI had pulled him back to one of their starbases before I could throw the third punch I would've been in huge trouble. Basically scrambling to quickly research longer range weapons and get the counter fleet built before he could now through my systems with the battleship. I'm also lucky it wasn't an enemy fleet, just the one battleship.