Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Starbase Orion 2 dev blog?
12-21-2015, 06:46 AM
Starbase Orion 2 dev blog?
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if there were any plans for a Starbase Orion 2 dev blog. Its been in development for quite a while and am keen to see how its progressing. I'm sure theres alot of people out there as well who would like to see one.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-21-2015, 11:31 AM
RE: Starbase Orion 2 dev blog?
Yea I would really enjoy to see its progress

w0we xd
12-21-2015, 12:13 PM
Yes, something along these lines will be coming early next year (maybe February timeline).
12-22-2015, 06:51 AM
Nice I await too see the progress

w0we xd
03-13-2016, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2016 08:31 AM by tactfulgamer.)
(12-21-2015 12:13 PM)rocco Wrote:  Yes, something along these lines will be coming early next year (maybe February timeline).

I know you said "maybe" but it's March now Big Grin Feed the hunger sir... feed us.
03-17-2016, 06:31 AM
(03-13-2016 08:30 AM)tactfulgamer Wrote:  
(12-21-2015 12:13 PM)rocco Wrote:  Yes, something along these lines will be coming early next year (maybe February timeline).

I know you said "maybe" but it's March now Big Grin Feed the hunger sir... feed us.

Yes; I think what I'm going to do is start something informal here in the forums. Some informal information releases (which will them be rewritten/formalized for actual pieces later) combined with some targeted topic discussions on specific still-to-be-implemented SO2 features. An example of these (and maybe the first topic of discussion) will be wormholes; or more specifically, how could wormholes be implemented in a way which they are balanced enough they could be included in league matches? So, more to come Big Grin
03-17-2016, 01:29 PM
I find that warp gates accomplish everything I want from wormholes. It's the randomness of wormholes that can be frustrating and potentially unfair/unbalancing whereas gates only show up where players invest the time/resources to place them. Not that I'd get rid of wormholes because some players enjoy that randomness. But come tourney time I think most good players are not fans of that kind of randomness.

That said, three ideas to increase the randomness would be:

1: Have one or both ends of the wormhole jump around between multiple systems.

2: Have a small percentage chance of ships going in one end of the wormhole and never exiting out of the other end (aka, being destroyed).

3. If a wormhole system has a monster in it, allow for a chance that the monster traverses the wormhole.

In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences.
- Robert Green Ingersoll, lawyer and orator (1833-1899)
03-18-2016, 03:49 AM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2016 03:53 AM by tactfulgamer.)
(03-17-2016 06:31 AM)rocco Wrote:  (and maybe the first topic of discussion) will be wormholes; or more specifically, how could wormholes be implemented in a way which they are balanced enough they could be included in league matches?

Rocco, If you've read about my Stellaris idea hacks over in SO2 discussion. You know I've been highly impressed by some amazing new things they're implementing.

Anyways, using Stellaris again. The dev breaks down the 3 forms of Hypertravel they are including in their system. Maybe it can get your mind flowing. They have a 32 multiplayer. So... If it works there, hopefully it can help you with ideas for wormholes in SO2 multiplayer:

Start at the 4:35 mark. Hope this helps.
http://youtu.be/Go-WHiRqEMg
03-18-2016, 03:50 PM
(03-18-2016 03:49 AM)tactfulgamer Wrote:  Anyways, using Stellaris again. The dev breaks down the 3 forms of Hypertravel they are including in their system. Maybe it can get your mind flowing. They have a 32 multiplayer. So... If it works there, hopefully it can help you with ideas for wormholes in SO2 multiplayer

That's an interesting approach; instead of choosing one for the game and potentially alienating players which don't like that choice (like starlanes vs free roam), they just chuck them all in and let the player choose as a kinda racial option. Interesting, but not very relevant to the topic at hand; for wormholes which are generated as part of the galactic map. I'd like to think there is still room for these naturally occurring phenomenon, and implemented in such a fashion they don't inherent disrupt a galactic map generated with balanced starting positions in mind.

Quote:They have a 32 multiplayer. So... If it works there

I'll hold my skepticism until the game is released about whether it works well or not Cool
03-18-2016, 03:56 PM
(03-17-2016 01:29 PM)ArlyB Wrote:  I find that warp gates accomplish everything I want from wormholes. It's the randomness of wormholes that can be frustrating and potentially unfair/unbalancing whereas gates only show up where players invest the time/resources to place them. Not that I'd get rid of wormholes because some players enjoy that randomness. But come tourney time I think most good players are not fans of that kind of randomness.

That said, three ideas to increase the randomness would be:

1: Have one or both ends of the wormhole jump around between multiple systems.

2: Have a small percentage chance of ships going in one end of the wormhole and never exiting out of the other end (aka, being destroyed).

3. If a wormhole system has a monster in it, allow for a chance that the monster traverses the wormhole.

I think the posed question is implying the opposite; could wormholes be implemented in such a manner as to preserve the balance of a "balanced" galactic map. In SO1, wormholes are generated from the same star in an empires mirrored slice of the galaxy, but then travel to a random star in the middle, "neutral zone" of randomly generated stars. Hence, one player's wormhole could wind up going to a gaia planet, while another player's goes to a system with no planets.

The lack of a wormhole option for competitive matches provides a polarization of racial choices; if its a small map go production & blitz, if its a bigger map maybe go research, etc. Naturally occurring, but balanced, wormholes help shake things up by decreasing the relative size of the galactic map, providing the possibility of introducing different strategies in maps otherwise not conducive to them