Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I'm always broke... what am I doing wrong?
03-16-2016, 10:07 AM
Rainbow I'm always broke... what am I doing wrong?
Good morning fellow Starbase Orionians,

So, I'm all-consumed by this game. I check my ipad first thing when I get up, I think about it all day at work, and then I check the ipad the first thing as soon as I get home. Amazing game - thank you, Rocco!

Strategy question: I usually take a balanced science / industry build. Somewhere around year 10, I end up losing money and have a hard time making it back... even putting a world on economic funding.

So, obviously I need to focus on efficient tax collectors. But often Trade Port I comes at the same time as a more important technology.

What am I doing wrong? Colonizing too many rich / high gravity planets requiring food transfer? Should I be building efficient factories on every planet (even the farming ones)? Any one have any tips they'd share?

Regards,
Manny
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2016, 07:30 AM
RE: I'm always broke... what am I doing wrong?
I have been having this issue as well when I do not pick a trait that gives me bonus coin.
03-20-2016, 11:58 AM
RE: I'm always broke... what am I doing wrong?
A few things come to mind on this front.

1. Build fewer buildings (at least until you get Efficient Tax Collectors).
2. Don't build buildings like Research Centers on planets that are not focused primarily on that task.
3. Be willing to focus a planet or two in the early game to at least sometimes generating money instead of other tasks.
4. Racial trait balancing is an art. Test out racial trait builds against the AI and pay attention to how many of each building the racial build can handle before throwing you into debt. Then live within that boundary during future games.

Aside from Hydro 1, there is no building I place on all planets (I even avoid Hydro 1 on planets intended for money making only). Most of my planets do not have Efficient Factories either, even the ones building ships. I tend to wait until I can get Robotic Factories to assist my ship production with buildings. I also tend to use the Production increasing racial traits in all my racial builds so I can builds ships quickly without the help of buildings.

In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences.
- Robert Green Ingersoll, lawyer and orator (1833-1899)