Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bug? - Frigate reversing direction on Keep Max
05-23-2016, 09:01 AM
Bug? - Frigate reversing direction on Keep Max
I have seen variations on this previously. I am in a game with jay765b and I had a couple of M1 frigates dueling with dark matter - keep max, closest. The DM get one, but everything is fine and the remaining frigate is leading them on a merry chase pumping missiles into them. They're not gaining at all. A couple of more revolutions of the board and it will be over.

Then inexplicably the frigate decided 'keep max' would work better if he reversed directions and tried to sneak between the DM and the map edge. Didn't go well. There was no reason why he should have tried that. There was A LOT of open space to continue.

I submitted a bug, but think I should mention it here as well.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2016, 02:34 PM
RE: Bug? - Frigate reversing direction on Keep Max
(05-23-2016 09:01 AM)scottila Wrote:  I have seen variations on this previously. I am in a game with jay765b and I had a couple of M1 frigates dueling with dark matter - keep max, closest. The DM get one, but everything is fine and the remaining frigate is leading them on a merry chase pumping missiles into them. They're not gaining at all. A couple of more revolutions of the board and it will be over.

Then inexplicably the frigate decided 'keep max' would work better if he reversed directions and tried to sneak between the DM and the map edge. Didn't go well. There was no reason why he should have tried that. There was A LOT of open space to continue.

I submitted a bug, but think I should mention it here as well.

It's not a bug. Or at least that is not unusual behaviour. Space pilots are a funny breed. Apparently doing barrel rolls and 360 somersaults in front of monsters is compulsory.

If you are trying to kill dark matter with frigates then have 1 frigate enter the system first and ideally that should be an L1 ship. Set it to evasion and assuming it doesn't die first turn (combat pilot or combat engines guarantee this ship lives, otherwise it dies roughly 1/3 times) leave it to run away firing blindly over its "shoulder". After 4 or 5 turns the dark matter will be at 48-49% and 2 n1 frigates can do the rest.

This method only works with dark matter. If your killing amoeba then it's range equals the laser range. For this you need an N1 frigate set to evade. I have found success with Logikfools multiple n1 frigates but the losses can be harsh when the pilots start snorting cocaine and playing monster tag. I prefer 2 n1 destroyers for amoeba and 2 n2 destroyers for crystal. If you factor in production time, kill speed and survival rate, the extra cost of the destroyers balances out against sending in say 5 n1 frigates and coming out with 2-3.

Have fun!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply