Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Say What Now? : A multiplayer SBO Variant
08-18-2016, 04:39 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2016 09:33 AM by ArlyB.)
Tongue Say What Now? : A multiplayer SBO Variant
Say What Now? (aka: Nerf Your Neighbor)
A Starbase Orion multiplayer rules variant

Have you ever wanted to saddle your SBO opponent with a negative trait to make their build less effective? Picture the following:

Nice Shared Intelligence build you got there ... how about you cram Low Gravity Affinity into it!

Or

I know how much you love to play aggressive rush strategies ... how about you try that with Slow As Sloths included! Toodles ...

This is that game.

Rules:
Step 1 (Game Settings): A FFA multiplayer game is started with the proposed settings in place.

Step 2 (Declare 2 Non-Core Traits): Each player declares at least two of the most expensive, non-core racial traits they intend to use that game (excluding Galactic Navigators since it's so commonly used as to be expected in most builds). Each player MUST include those 2 declared traits in their final build and may NOT include non-core traits that cost more than either of those two traits. (This ensures that players give some indication of how they intend their racial build to be constructed and not just throw out a couple of 1 point traits.)

Step 3 (Declare Nerfs): Each player must also incorporate a trait chosen by their immediate predecessor player (e.g.: player 1 gets to choose player 2's negative trait, then player 2 gets to choose player 3's negative trait, and so on until the last player gets to choose the first player's negative trait. (Example nerfs: Low Grav Affinity, Slow as Sloths, heck, even Brilliant Researchers could be considered a nerf in some situations)

Step 4 (Finalize builds while starting game): The game starts and each player can build their race using the traits declared above. Players may NOT use non-core traits that cost MORE points than their 2 declared non-core traits. This is to prevent folks from doing things like jumping into Shared Intelligence builds and NOT declaring it)

End Step (Verify Builds): Double check at the end of the game (or during game) that each build followed the rules.

Core traits are the 5 sets of 3 traits involving Food Production, Pop Growth Rate, Money/Credits, Industry, and Research.

Non-core traits are all of the rest (e.g.: Shared Intelligence, Battle Hardened, etc.).

Enjoy the silliness that is sure to ensure for anyone following these rules. :-)

In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences.
- Robert Green Ingersoll, lawyer and orator (1833-1899)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-2016, 06:51 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2016 02:56 PM by ArlyB.)
RE: Say What Now? : A multiplayer SBO Variant
I'll use this post to track the first game's player selections so folks can get an idea of what to do and what happened in that first game.

Player 1: ArlyB RuLz
Player Trait Reveals: Fantastic Engineers, Natural Tinkers
(Note: Because my minimum cost trait reveal cost 2 points I am now prevented from using the following 3+ cost non-core traits: Shared Intel, Persnickety, Brilliant Researchers)
Say What Now? Nerf Trait: Low Gravity Affinity

Player 2: tiboloid
Player Trait Reveals: Shared Intelligence, Huge HW
Resultant Off-Limit Traits: Brilliant Researchers
Say What Now? Nerf Trait: Slow as Sloth

Player 3: gametrog
Player Trait Reveals: Sanctioned Piracy, Freethinking
Resultant Off-Limit Traits: Brilliant Researchers, Persnickety, Shared Intel
Say What Now? Nerf Trait: Slow as Sloth

Player 4: outofmytr33
Player Trait Reveals: Shared Intelligence, Rich Homeworld
Resultant Off-Limits Traits: Brilliant Researchers
Say What Now? Nerf Trait: Old Fashioned

Player 5: Valkyrie 007
Player Trait Reveals: Sanctioned Piracy, Fantastic Engineers
Say What Now? Nerf Trait: Poor HW

Player 6: Immortal Sloth
Player Trait Reveals: Huge Homeworld, Freethinking
Say What Now? Nerf Trait: Poor Homeworld

Player 7: Danai11
Player Trait Reveals: Huge Homeworld, Natural Tinkers
Say What Now? Nerf Trait: Poor Homeworld

Player 8: ddp.research
Player Trait Reveals: Huge Homeworld, Battle Hardened
Say What Now? Nerf Trait: Low Grav Affinity

08-20-2016, 06:35 PM
(08-20-2016 06:51 AM)ArlyB Wrote:  I'll use this post to track the first game's player selections so folks can get an idea of what to do and what happened in that first game.

Player 1: ArlyB RuLz
Player Trait Reveals: Fantastic Engineers, Natural Tinkers
(Note: Because my minimum cost trait reveal cost 2 points I am now prevented from using the following 3+ cost non-core traits: Shared Intel, Persnickety, Brilliant Researchers)
Say What Now? Nerf Trait:

Player 2: tiboloid
Player Trait Reveals: Shared Intelligence, Huge HW
Resultant Off-Limit Traits: Brilliant Researchers

Player 3: gametrog
Player Trait Reveals: Sanctioned Piracy, Freethinking

Player 5: Valkyrie 007
Player Trait Reveals: Sanctioned Piracy, Fantastic Engineers

Player 6: Immortal Sloth
Player Trait Reveals:

Player 7: Danai11
Player Trait Reveals: Huge Homeworld, Natural Tinkers

Player 8: ddp.research
Player Trait Reveals: Huge Homeworld, Battle Hardened

Arly there is an inconsistency here. As I have selected shared intelligence (6 points) I should be able to select other 6 point traits such as brilliant researchers. You have noted this is not possible. Am I misunderstanding the selection concept?
08-21-2016, 07:25 AM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2016 08:25 AM by ArlyB.)
(08-20-2016 06:35 PM)Outofmytr33 Wrote:  
(08-20-2016 06:51 AM)ArlyB Wrote:  I'll use this post to track the first game's player selections so folks can get an idea of what to do and what happened in that first game.

Arly there is an inconsistency here. As I have selected shared intelligence (6 points) I should be able to select other 6 point traits such as brilliant researchers. You have noted this is not possible. Am I misunderstanding the selection concept?

You also chose rich homeworld and it is the cheaper trait that establishes your ceiling (see the step 2 paragraph). The situation I was seeking was to prevent with this rule was folks choosing, say, two 1 point traits that don't really matter much and then sneaking into SI after ther fact. I want the two tait reveal to give some indication of what type of build each player was steering towards.

08-22-2016, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2016 12:56 PM by ArlyB.)
Say What Now? (aka: Nerf Your Neighbor) (Variation # 2)
A Starbase Orion multiplayer rules variant

Have you ever wanted to saddle your SBO opponent with a negative trait to make their build less effective? Picture the following:

Nice Shared Intelligence build you got there ... how about you cram Low Gravity Affinity into it!

Or

I know how much you love to play aggressive rush strategies ... how about you try that with Slow As Sloths included! Toodles ...

This is that game.

First, some quick definitions:

Core Traits:
Industry (Slow as Sloths, Industrious Individuals, Amazing Industrialists)
Growth (Old Fashioned, Fertile Biology, Baby Boomers)
Farming (Inadequate Farmers, Proficient Farmer, Plant Whisperers)
Research (Slow Thinkers, Quick Thinkers, Borderline Genius)
Money/Credits (Thrift Spenders, Prosperous Businessmen, Money Lenders)

Non-Core Traits:
Every trait NOT in the above Core Trait list.

Rules:

Step 1 (Game Settings): Set up a FFA multiplayer game with the proposed settings so every one knows and agrees upon what the game conditions will be.

Note: Normal race settings are required for these rules to have any real effect on the game as the unlimited option would make the nerf traits unimpactful. Having diplomacy off is a good idea as well.

Step 2 (Declare Key Racial Build Traits For Yourself): On a one-time only basis, each player chooses for themselves up to five game race traits that they will and must use in their final racial build from the following list:

Freethinking/Persnickety/Shared Intelligence
Brilliant Researchers
Natural Tinkers/Robust Techies
Combat Pilots, Battle Hardened, Fantastic Engineers
Sanctioned Piracy
Highly Trained Smugglers
Charismatic

Players may NOT include any of the racial traits in this step 2 grouping in their final build unless they declare it during this step.

Note: a player may choose 0 traits during this step but that means that they can't use any of these traits later.

Step 3 (Choose Core Trait Nerfs): Each player chooses a core trait nerf for the player who follows them in turn order. (e.g.: player 1 gets to choose a core trait nerf for player 2, player 2 gets to choose a core trait nerf for player 3, and so on until the last player gets to choose the first player's core trait nerf)

Note: The selected core trait nerf does not have to be a negative value core trait as saddling a player with a 6 point core trait can be as debilitating in some racial builds as choosing one of the -3 point core traits.

Step 4 (Choose a Core Trait For Yourself): Each player declares a core trait that they will and must use in their final racial build.

Step 5 (Choose Non-Core Nerf Traits): Each player chooses a non-core trait nerf for the player who preceeds in turn order. (e.g.: player 2 gets to choose a non-core trait nerf for player 1, player 3 gets to choose a non-core trait nerf for player 3, and so on until the first player gets to choose the last player's non-core trait nerf)

Step 6 (Finalize Builds and Start Game): The game starts and each player can build their race using the traits declared above. Players must use all traits that they selected for themselves and all Nerf traits selected for them and they may NOT use undeclared traits from the step 2 grouping. Other than the step 2 grouping limitation, all other core and non-core traits are available to balance out player builds.

End Step (Verify Builds): Double check at the end of the game (or during game) that each build followed the rules.

Enjoy the silliness that is sure to ensure for anyone following these rules. :-)