Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The worst luck starting out...
11-24-2011, 02:51 AM
The worst luck starting out...
Testing out a new custom race on a Huge galaxy with three Impossible opponents. My strategy was to colonize a lot of planets quickly, but this quickly ran into trouble. Here's my game a few dozen turns in:

[Image: IMG_0033.PNG]

That's six, SIX space monsters in range of home. Six scouts trashed discovering them. Seriously put a damper on my expansion plans.

Anyway, I just had to share.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-24-2011, 05:02 AM
RE: The worst luck starting out...
That's remarkable. But...

* Since the maps are symmetrical, all your opponents have the same problem.

* Its a good idea to make "drone probes" I.e. a small hull with no weapons or other parts for exploring new systems. It's a lot cheaper to loose one of those to a monster than a real scout or warship.
11-24-2011, 02:13 PM
agree about the drone... i also remove the laser (i mean pea-shooter) from the scout before i build more of them.

hey look on the bright side... there's gotta be at least a couple of good planets in that lot, no?

of course, that also means your opponents get good ones too...
11-24-2011, 03:53 PM
(11-24-2011 02:13 PM)thebardofblasphemy Wrote:  agree about the drone... i also remove the laser (i mean pea-shooter) from the scout before i build more of them.

hey look on the bright side... there's gotta be at least a couple of good planets in that lot, no?

of course, that also means your opponents get good ones too...

least they got all the monsters as well
11-25-2011, 04:40 AM
(11-24-2011 05:02 AM)eleazar Wrote:  * Since the maps are symmetrical, all your opponents have the same problem.

They are? The map doesn't look very symmetrical. I can see some symmetries in large-scale structures, but stars aren't reflected or anything like that.

Regarding the cheap drone, that's a good idea. I always pull the useless laser from the scout when building more, but didn't think to build a cheaper model without extended fuel tanks for closer planets.
11-25-2011, 12:00 PM
(11-25-2011 04:40 AM)mikeash Wrote:  
(11-24-2011 05:02 AM)eleazar Wrote:  * Since the maps are symmetrical, all your opponents have the same problem.

They are? The map doesn't look very symmetrical.

Rocco says it:
http://chimerasw.com/starbaseorion/forum...04#pid1404

The squashing effect of the isometric view makes it less obvious, especially if there are 3 empires.
11-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the link, that's very interesting to know. I think it's the perspective, plus the fact that the center area isn't mirrored, that made me not see it. Looking again in another game and I definitely see it.