Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Take me to your leader.
12-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Take me to your leader.
Hello all long time fan of the moo games and I even played the Avalon hill board game it was based on and the first pc game reach for the stars. My game center I'd is skwerm70 anyone who wishes to add me to ANY type of star base game please do. I'm sick and tired of people quitting early on. I promise to stick out a complete game. For the long haul
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2011, 04:43 AM
RE: Take me to your leader.
You're on!
12-09-2011, 11:03 AM
(12-06-2011 09:22 AM)Skwerm Wrote:  Hello all long time fan of the moo games and I even played the Avalon hill board game it was based on and the first pc game reach for the stars. My game center I'd is skwerm70 anyone who wishes to add me to ANY type of star base game please do. I'm sick and tired of people quitting early on. I promise to stick out a complete game. For the long haul

I'm new here too (just bought SO this afternoon). I have also played Avalon Hill board games since the early 1970's (so you can guess my age). Looking over SO for a while and running through the tutorial, the game does look like an awesome strategy game of the type I've been looking for on the iPad.

What I'm not sure about is time invested in one sitting of playing. In an old, table-top board game, we'd just leave it set up on the table in the basement and resume the game later. I too, dislike early quitters and don't want to be one. So, how long do people typically play in a sitting? Is there a way to communicate with other players? Is there way to save a game so it can be resumed later? How long does a typical game take in total to play?

-Mark R.
12-09-2011, 11:09 AM
(12-09-2011 11:03 AM)mroyer Wrote:  
(12-06-2011 09:22 AM)Skwerm Wrote:  Hello all long time fan of the moo games and I even played the Avalon hill board game it was based on and the first pc game reach for the stars. My game center I'd is skwerm70 anyone who wishes to add me to ANY type of star base game please do. I'm sick and tired of people quitting early on. I promise to stick out a complete game. For the long haul

I'm new here too (just bought SO this afternoon). I have also played Avalon Hill board games since the early 1970's (so you can guess my age). Looking over SO for a while and running through the tutorial, the game does look like an awesome strategy game of the type I've been looking for on the iPad.

What I'm not sure about is time invested in one sitting of playing. In an old, table-top board game, we'd just leave it set up on the table in the basement and resume the game later. I too, dislike early quitters and don't want to be one. So, how long do people typically play in a sitting? Is there a way to communicate with other players? Is there way to save a game so it can be resumed later? How long does a typical game take in total to play?

-Mark R.

The multiplayer is all asynchronous, so you maek your move, it sends it to the other player, then they make their move whenever they want (like chess/words with friends). Goes back and forth till someone wins or quits.

I play pretty consistantly throughout the day making moves as quickly as possible after I receive them. Some of my opponents will play frequently as well, getting a buncha moves done going back and forth for a little while or even several hours, while others I'll only get a coupla turns a day. Really depends who you play against.

Time to complete games varies. Most games at the moment end somewhere between turn 410.0 and 420.0, though some of the balance changes coming down the line may or may not change that. Real world time really depends how often you both play, I've had some games end in a day or two, some over a week.
12-09-2011, 09:24 PM
(12-09-2011 11:09 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Real world time really depends how often you both play, I've had some games end in a day or two, some over a week.

Thanks VanderLegion. Once a player has become good at the basic mechanics of game-play and has formulated a strategy, how long does it take to actually make a typical turn?

Thanks again,
-Mark R.
12-10-2011, 03:28 AM
(12-09-2011 09:24 PM)mroyer Wrote:  
(12-09-2011 11:09 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Real world time really depends how often you both play, I've had some games end in a day or two, some over a week.

Thanks VanderLegion. Once a player has become good at the basic mechanics of game-play and has formulated a strategy, how long does it take to actually make a typical turn?

Thanks again,
-Mark R.

Not very long typically, depends how much is going on - how many planets finished building something, how many planets you HAVE, how many ships/fleets you have, what your opponent does etc. But generally doesn't take me more than maybe a minute or two at the most to take a turn. A lot of times it'll pop up on my turn and I just hit next turn immediately cause I already ahve everything set up to go for a while.