Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Questions about interstellar distance
12-28-2011, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2011 10:12 AM by mroyer.)
RE: Questions about interstellar distance
(12-28-2011 05:25 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Huh, no idea what the problem is there, ...

okay, so its not just me being a noob then ...I guess that's good.

(12-28-2011 05:25 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  ...it looks like the red star is only 9 parsecs away from Jabbah, while the yellow one you can reach looks like its 10 away from Maaz, so I would think the red one should be in range as well...

This is where I get confused...
What does Maaz have to do with it? If I send my ships directly to the yellow star (along the red arrow), does the game actually send them via Maaz without showing it or something like that?

(12-28-2011 05:25 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Do you have any other planets colonized that aren't visible in that screenshot (doesn't look like it cause it looks like all the stars on the edges are darkened showing you can't get there, but worth asking).

Actually, I do! Leo is 8 "parsecs"(squares) from the red dwarf just off the right edge of the screenshot. I didn't show Leo because I'm still confused why it's relevent.

Thanks for discussing this VanderLegion - it's helping me understand the game a bit more.

-MarkR.

------

-Mark R.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-28-2011, 10:20 AM
If you submit the game file, I can take a look at it for you (Go to info screen off of the main menu, tap on the version number at the bottom of the screen, type something that describes what I'm supposed to be looking at into the email and hit send).

Thanks!
12-28-2011, 10:45 AM
(12-28-2011 10:10 AM)mroyer Wrote:  This is where I get confused...
What does Maaz have to do with it? If I send my ships directly to the yellow star (along the red arrow), does the game actually send them via Maaz without showing it or something like that?

Kind of. Ship range isn't calculated as what stars the ship can reach from it's current planet, it looks at what stars the ship can reach from any planet in your empire. So if you have a ship at 1 planet, and you want to go to a star that's 12 parsecs away from that planet, but only 7 parsecs away from another planet when you have say 7 parsec range, you can still get to that star that's 12 parsecs away, but it doesn't do it by sending your ship to the planet that's closer then on to the star, you still make a direct trip to the destination (so doesn't take longer by redirecting). If a star is in range of ANY of your planets, you can travel directly to it.

Quote:Actually, I do! Leo is 8 "parsecs"(squares) from the red dwarf just off the right edge of the screenshot. I didn't show Leo because I'm still confused why it's relevent.

Hmm, that shouldn't make a differnece, since that just makes it an even SHORTER distance to get to the red star you can't reach compared to the yellow that you can...I'd submit the game file to rocco as he described in his post and let him take a look at it, since I'm still not sure what the problem is. He should be able to come back and either tell us there's a bug that needs to be fixed, or else explain what's going on and hopefully clear up all the confusion.
Quote:Thanks for discussing this VanderLegion - it's helping me understand the game a bit more.

-MarkR.

You're welcome. Always happy to help newer players understand the game better. Makes it more fun for them, and adds more opponents for the rest of us to play against Smile
12-28-2011, 11:47 AM
(12-28-2011 10:20 AM)rocco Wrote:  If you submit the game file, I can take a look at it for you (Go to info screen off of the main menu, tap on the version number at the bottom of the screen, type something that describes what I'm supposed to be looking at into the email and hit send).

Thanks!

okay, sent - although I'm not clear how it knew which saved game to send.

-Mark R.

------

-Mark R.
12-29-2011, 02:05 AM
(12-28-2011 11:47 AM)mroyer Wrote:  okay, sent - although I'm not clear how it knew which saved game to send.

-Mark R.

When you send the file, all your saved games get sent, so make sure to save the game with a name that is mentioned in the email so Rocco can see your email and select the game save that matches the issue.
12-29-2011, 06:14 AM
(12-29-2011 02:05 AM)bmike Wrote:  
(12-28-2011 11:47 AM)mroyer Wrote:  okay, sent - although I'm not clear how it knew which saved game to send.

-Mark R.

When you send the file, all your saved games get sent, so make sure to save the game with a name that is mentioned in the email so Rocco can see your email and select the game save that matches the issue.

Lol! I think Rocco just got a bunch of saved games.... including the correct one.

------

-Mark R.
12-29-2011, 02:04 PM
(12-29-2011 06:14 AM)mroyer Wrote:  Lol! I think Rocco just got a bunch of saved games.... including the correct one.

Thanks, I got it.

All of the hard values all check out, so there does not appear to be any bug in the distance calculations / sector coordinates. I will be delving it further to see if there is a bug in the visual mapping, or if it is indeed just a case of looking odd due to the isometric view.
12-29-2011, 11:29 PM
(12-29-2011 02:04 PM)rocco Wrote:  
(12-29-2011 06:14 AM)mroyer Wrote:  Lol! I think Rocco just got a bunch of saved games.... including the correct one.

Thanks, I got it.

All of the hard values all check out, so there does not appear to be any bug in the distance calculations / sector coordinates. I will be delving it further to see if there is a bug in the visual mapping, or if it is indeed just a case of looking odd due to the isometric view.

Thanks Rocco, I appreciate that. It's difficult to plan ahead and try to set up interlocking defenses (not that I've really done that yet Rolleyes - but hope to when I get better at the game) when you're not sure which stars each ship can reach.

-Mark R.

------

-Mark R.
04-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Just to follow up on this old thread, is distance between two stars calculated as:

d = ((x1-x2)^2 + (y1-y2)^2)^0.5

Or

d = |x1-x2| + |y1-y2|

?
04-06-2012, 11:25 PM
I'd be interested to find out the results here...

GC ID - Dorjan24, London Time.