Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Most epic battle ever
01-30-2012, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2012 01:57 PM by ddebernardy.)
Most epic battle ever
VanderLegion and I were facing each other with 80+ CP fleets (mine was 90 CP when I went in, including two troop ships). Freaky and then some. 8 ships left to conquer his planets (inc. two troop ships) - IPC3 titans and mammoths. But I'm not even sure it'll be enough: I've two dozen terran/gaias and I can only imagine the same on his end about to burst out new titans...

Game Center IDs: ddebernardy | ddb.testflight
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2012, 02:21 PM
RE: Most epic battle ever
hah, that sounds YouTube worthy!
01-30-2012, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2012 04:27 PM by VanderLegion.)
(01-30-2012 02:21 PM)rocco Wrote:  hah, that sounds YouTube worthy!

I tried to record the battle, but with so many ships even my 4S couldn't handle it. It lags even trying to just WATCH or skip through the battle, trying to use a screen recorder (phone is jailbroken) jsut didn't work. I did take screenshots of the before and after.

I'm pretty sure at this point you've got the game ddebernardy. I don't have nearly that many terran/gaia's, I haven't been doing as much terraforming cause I was busy getting as many ships built as I could so you wouldn't kill me.

This entire game has been a spectacular one. We both had good fleets built up originally with like battleships/cruisers etc, I attacked the first time, he wiped out my fleet and started attacking a coupla planets. I was able to get out just enough ships to stop his fleet with the help of my starbases, leaving us both with basically nothing. At that point, we both started building up new fleets, then started adding titans, then finally before that battle got out some mammoths.

In the battle we just finished, I was actually at 79 CP I believe vs his 90, but I had more big ships. We each had 2 mammoths, I had a ton of titans, then a few battleships/cruisers/destroyers, while ddebernardy had a lot more destroyers and other slightly smaller ships. Total number of weapons and hull/structure points etc was probably pretty close.

Looking back I'd have probably run the battle differently. ddebernardy was the aggressor this time, I left all my ships on hold position with my starbase and let him come to me. This left all my small ships he targeted with his proton torpedoes on the outer edges of my fleet, while most of my PDS were concentrated on my titans in the center, too far away to do any good. So my mass of PDS basically did nothing and he used all his torpedoes to kill the unprotected ships. The other problem with hold together is I had a large number of plasma launchers, which did great starting out, but when your ships don't move, they become slightly less useful as the enemy fleet closes in...
Though while I don't have as many good planets, I do have a mammoth and 2 titans poppin out next turn...
Before:

After:

As you can see if you count it up:
2 Mammoths
17 Titans
5 Battleships
1 Cruiser
2 Destroyers
1 Starbase III

vs

2 Mammoths
12 Titans
5 Battleships
4 Cruisers
10 Destroyers

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
01-30-2012, 07:47 PM
"Though while I don't have as many good planets, I do have a mammoth and 2 titans poppin out next turn..."

My fear is that you might have a fleet as large as mine again before I can do enough damage with my troop ships to make a difference.

01-31-2012, 03:02 AM
The other thing of note...this battle happened at turn 418.3. i've never seen another fleet anywhere near that size in any multiplayer game I've played, much less that early. Closest I've gotten was in a game against shep, but we both had smaller fleets and well past turn 420.

01-31-2012, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2012 07:26 AM by ddebernardy.)
The ~20 gaias helped. :-) Especially in that galaxy. (Several large/huge very rich planets.)

01-31-2012, 07:36 AM
(01-31-2012 07:24 AM)ddebernardy Wrote:  The ~20 gaias helped. :-) Especially in that galaxy. (Several large/huge very rich planets.)

yah, that would. I shoulda been doin more terraforming.

01-31-2012, 07:43 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2012 07:43 AM by ddebernardy.)
Ya. I much about always had 3-4 planets getting terraformed from around the time you mentioned you had a pop 28 VR Terran thing.

01-31-2012, 07:56 AM
(01-31-2012 07:43 AM)ddebernardy Wrote:  Ya. I much about always had 3-4 planets getting terraformed from around the time you mentioned you had a pop 28 VR Terran thing.

Yah, that'd do it.

01-31-2012, 08:12 AM
(01-31-2012 03:02 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  The other thing of note...this battle happened at turn 418.3. i've never seen another fleet anywhere near that size in any multiplayer game I've played, much less that early. Closest I've gotten was in a game against shep, but we both had smaller fleets and well past turn 420.

How on Earth did you get such a vast and powerful force - EACH! - by turn 418?