Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Most epic battle ever
01-31-2012, 08:20 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2012 08:22 AM by VanderLegion.)
RE: Most epic battle ever
(01-31-2012 08:12 AM)Sixhits Wrote:  
(01-31-2012 03:02 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  The other thing of note...this battle happened at turn 418.3. i've never seen another fleet anywhere near that size in any multiplayer game I've played, much less that early. Closest I've gotten was in a game against shep, but we both had smaller fleets and well past turn 420.

How on Earth did you get such a vast and powerful force - EACH! - by turn 418?

Terraformed planets. I had 3 28 population terran planets, 2 rich, 1 very rich, all max pop. Had another Gaia planet on top of that that had a little less pop since it wasn't huge. various and sundry other planets (had like 30+ planets, never actually counted). EF2, Robo 2, PCM on every planet, space ladder 2 or whatever it is once it got further in. Those 3 terran planets could build a battleship in like 3 or 4 turns depending on the build. The Titans I think were at 7 turns each, so 3 titans every 7 turns. The coupla mammoths at the end took a bit longer...Fleets woulda been even crazier if ddebernardy hadn't decided to attack me cause he was outta cash.
It was also a really good galaxy for it. 2 of those 3 terran planets started out as huge arid planets, so it only took a few turns to turn em into terran, then I was just sending off all of my population I could spare from all my other planets to the terrans to get em maxed out quick.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2012, 09:37 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2012 09:41 AM by ddebernardy.)
Actually, I still had a highly positive cash flow, but military upkeep was itching towards 200/turn and growing faster than I wanted it to.

@Sixhits: I had around 20 gaias and terrans, two thirds of which (the richer ones) were fully loaded with guys. Much about every planet had factories, robotics, and core mining. Those with more than one pop (I had a bunch like that, to boost growth) also had sports and space elevators or sports and weather controllers.

I took a planet from VL in my initial expedition in his area too. This allowed me to grab some of his fertile guys (I was properous). I allocated them to 15+ pop planets with cloning, all alone on it. The best breeder, if memory serves, got me a new guy every 4 turns or so. And I'd then ship the new guy to rich/abundant gaias/terrans on the spot. By the same token, my farm gaias had minimal population to max out the number of guys I could send to richer planets.

My mammoths were 7-8k propositions and I had a couple around when VL surrendered (all IPC3, 2x armor 2, 2x hull 2, shield 3, 5x PDS; and then 3x armor 2, 3x hull 2, shield 4 and 3 PDS; they were acceptably destructive in the face of VL's plasma/laser/gauss titans...).

The two huge/VR gaias would output them in 10-12 turns (space elevators help, as did the occasional 2-3k rush buy). The large/medium VR/R were assigned to titans, while the rest was assigned to battleships, terraforming/gaiaforming or funding depending on richness and state.

Game Center IDs: ddebernardy | ddb.testflight
01-31-2012, 09:43 AM
(01-31-2012 09:37 AM)ddebernardy Wrote:  Actually, I still had a highly positive cash flow, but military upkeep was itching towards 200/turn and growing faster than I wanted it to.

@Sixhits: I had around 20 gaias and terrans, two thirds of which (the richer ones) were fully loaded with guys. Much about every planet had factories, robotics, and core mining. Those with more than one pop (I had a bunch like that, to boost growth) also had sports and space elevators or sports and weather controllers.

I took a planet from VL in my initial expedition in his area too. This allowed me to grab some of his fertile guys (I was properous). I allocated them to 15+ pop planets with cloning, all alone on it. The best breeder, if memory serves, got me a new guy every 4 turns or so. And I'd then ship the new guy to rich/abundant gaias/terrans on the spot. By the same token, my farm gaias had minimal population to max out the number of guys I could send to richer planets.

My mammoths were 7-8k propositions and I had a couple around when VL surrendered (all IPC3, 2x armor 2, 2x hull 2, shield 3, 5x PDS; and then 3x armor 2, 3x hull 2, shield 4 and 3 PDS; they were acceptably destructive in the face of VL's plasma/laser/gauss titans...).

The two huge/VR gaias would output them in 10-12 turns (space elevators help, as did the occasional 2-3k rush buy). The large/medium VR/R were assigned to titans, while the rest was assigned to battleships, terraforming/gaiaforming or funding depending on richness and state.

ooh right, forgot about sports, I had that too.

01-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Rainbow RE: Most epic battle ever
Ok, still amazed.

For one, I'm amazed you can pull all this together without one of you reaching a tipping point and ending up killing the other WAY earlier.

For two, I haven't been able to reach such lofty tech ever since the race bonus rejigger. Are you taking, essentially, only one mod? (ie, +1 food or +1 industry) and not taking any negative mods? I'm betting you have optimal race builds and I totally want to jack them! :-P
01-31-2012, 10:38 AM
(01-31-2012 10:16 AM)Sixhits Wrote:  Ok, still amazed.

For one, I'm amazed you can pull all this together without one of you reaching a tipping point and ending up killing the other WAY earlier.

For two, I haven't been able to reach such lofty tech ever since the race bonus rejigger. Are you taking, essentially, only one mod? (ie, +1 food or +1 industry) and not taking any negative mods? I'm betting you have optimal race builds and I totally want to jack them! :-P

My current race build I've been using:
Plant Whisperers (+2 food)
Industrious Individuals (+1 industry)
Slow Thinkers (-1 Research per scientist)
Fertile Biology (+50% pop growth)
High Gravity Affinity
Huge Homeworld
Rich Homeworld
Galactic Navigators
Small minded Scientists
Repulsive

And we actually tried to kill each other earlier. We were both building up fleets on our closest planets to each other. I had a bit larger fleet at the time, finally decided to push out. Attacked him, he wiped my fleet out (had starbase III I believe and probably better weapons). He then moved out and started attacking me, captured a coupla planets before I managed to get out ships to kill his fleet with the help of my starbases. After I killed his fleet we were both left with basically no ships, and went back to building up at our respective planets. At that point, neither of us really wanted to push out, so we just ended up both building up massive fleets.

01-31-2012, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2012 11:04 AM by Sixhits.)
That's rather close to my race build. I find the Small Minded trait really channels you. I've yet to see Terraforming pop up, or Planetary Core Mining, or Robotics. When I climb the weapons tech tree, I always see Plasma Cannons first - never Torps. Even getting to Factories I, II requires me to clear out one of the chains present, usually Research Labs.

How do you get to techs like PCM or Advanced City Planning with Small Minded?

BTW, these are very helpful replies.
01-31-2012, 11:18 AM
(01-31-2012 11:03 AM)Sixhits Wrote:  That's rather close to my race build. I find the Small Minded trait really channels you. I've yet to see Terraforming pop up, or Planetary Core Mining, or Robotics. When I climb the weapons tech tree, I always see Plasma Cannons first - never Torps. Even getting to Factories I, II requires me to clear out one of the chains present, usually Research Labs.

How do you get to techs like PCM or Advanced City Planning with Small Minded?

BTW, these are very helpful replies.

The higher techs still show up, you just have to research a lot more of the lower techs before they do.

I actually like small-minded, as while it takes longer to get to the higher techs, you can get a lot more of the lower ones on the way without having to wait for them to show back up.

Plasma shows up early cause it's a low level tech. Torpedoes and Ion Cannons are the highest level weapons, so you have to research a lot to get to them. Same with PCM.

02-03-2012, 07:23 PM
(01-31-2012 11:18 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  I actually like small-minded, as while it takes longer to get to the higher techs, you can get a lot more of the lower ones on the way without having to wait for them to show back up.

i like it too, but I wondered - is it that you get to "look at" the lower techs for longer, or do we always (human nature) pick the green/yellow techs when presented with tough choices?

Example - quite often pick eff fact I/II even if it's a yellow tech at the expense of red techs like tax or city planning

GC ID: the bard of blasphemy
GMT +10
02-04-2012, 03:18 AM
(02-03-2012 07:23 PM)thebardofblasphemy Wrote:  
(01-31-2012 11:18 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  I actually like small-minded, as while it takes longer to get to the higher techs, you can get a lot more of the lower ones on the way without having to wait for them to show back up.

i like it too, but I wondered - is it that you get to "look at" the lower techs for longer, or do we always (human nature) pick the green/yellow techs when presented with tough choices?

Example - quite often pick eff fact I/II even if it's a yellow tech at the expense of red techs like tax or city planning

I'll sometimes skip the red, but I take em a lot as well. For instance, I don't skip city planning to get EF sooner. City planning is too huge once you get your pop up to skip it and have to wait until later to get it.

02-04-2012, 06:07 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2012 06:11 AM by ddebernardy.)
It's huge indeed, but personally, I'd rather get hydroponics 2 and research center 3. City planning comes immediately after core mining in 1.0.9 (it's different in 1.1.0, so I might revisit this), and that tends to be high priority for me after getting orb labs and a few weapons... :-)

I tested both approaches, and I invariably found that productivity/finances are better by ignoring adv city initially, in the sense that even if you do get it you build it on very few planets by the time you actually get core mining anyway. If you build it across the board while grabbing research centers, a third of your population (assuming plant whisperers) is farming from lack of hydroponics. If you grabbed hydroponics instead of research centers, you're setting yourself up as vulnerable to an early onslaught, as happened in our last game.

By contrast, the production boost and finance boost related to hydroponics (which, for all intents and purposes, frees every planet except one or two from farming, and pays for itself by stripping food distribution costs) is very real combined with factory and research center. I'm still going back and forth as to whether I should get RC3/Factory2/hydro2/taxes/laser3 before going for orb labs, but this much is sure to me in 1.0.9: adv city can definitely wait a bit, even with a fertile race.

Game Center IDs: ddebernardy | ddb.testflight