Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Most epic battle ever
02-04-2012, 06:29 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2012 06:39 AM by VanderLegion.)
RE: Most epic battle ever
(02-04-2012 06:07 AM)ddebernardy Wrote:  It's huge indeed, but personally, I'd rather get hydroponics 2 and research center 3. City planning comes immediately after core mining in 1.0.9 (it's different in 1.1.0, so I might revisit this), and that tends to be high priority for me after getting orb labs and a few weapons... :-)

I tested both approaches, and I invariably found that productivity/finances are better by ignoring adv city initially, in the sense that even if you do get it you build it on very few planets by the time you actually get core mining anyway. If you build it across the board while grabbing research centers, a third of your population (assuming plant whisperers) is farming from lack of hydroponics. If you grabbed hydroponics instead of research centers, you're setting yourself up as vulnerable to an early onslaught, as happened in our last game.

By contrast, the production boost and finance boost related to hydroponics (which, for all intents and purposes, frees every planet except one or two from farming, and pays for itself by stripping food distribution costs) is very real combined with factory and research center. I'm still going back and forth as to whether I should get RC3/Factory2/hydro2/taxes/laser3 before going for orb labs, but this much is sure to me in 1.0.9: adv city can definitely wait a bit, even with a fertile race.

Well, in 1.1.0 at least I'd say its definitely worth getting RC3 as fast as possible, since it was buffed and labs were nerfed. Beyond that, I need to do some major testing of different racials/builds with pass and play mode...

I'm still working on how much else I want to get before labs. I have thought about seeing what happens if I do hydro and city planning as both before RC2. I normally take RC2 first off, so I hafta pick between the other two. I imagine going that route, besides getting research slower, would clutter it up with too many options in the tree and you'd still lose out on stuff.
Ahh. You then have to choose between EF1 and RC2, so definitely a no...

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2012, 07:14 AM
Hehe. Yep, you can't have it all...

Game Center IDs: ddebernardy | ddb.testflight
02-05-2012, 07:43 AM
If you go RC3/Factory2/hydro2/taxes/ THEN lasers, you're making yourself exceptionally vulnerable to a strong military opponent. Someone who goes RC2/Factory1/Laser3 is significantly ahead of you. If they toss in Nuke 1 or 2 or Armor 1, you'll be on your heels very fast. An all infrastructure build has a high element of risk to it.
02-05-2012, 08:20 PM
It's not that high, actually.

Lately I've been doing rc2/hydro1/laser2, followed by either laser3 or rc3/factory1 depending on the outlook. I've also been trying factory1/rc3, ignoring tax collection down the road, with good results.

Once a couple of rc3s are up, laser3 is a 4-6 turn proposition depending on how many guys you allocate to research, so building ships while laser gets researched works if the need arises. At least in as far as I've tried lately...

Taking it all the way to rc3/hydro2/factory2/taxes is nice, albeit lengthy, because you end up with very few guys tied onto food, good productivity across the board, and the taxes cover your expenses. You're set up for an all-out war around 407.0...

Game Center IDs: ddebernardy | ddb.testflight