Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Mining Outposts (or "Support Planets")
02-11-2012, 01:50 AM
Mining Outposts (or "Support Planets")
Okay, here's the idea: you have this one system containing a large Terran planet that's mineral poor and a tiny Toxic planet that's very mineral rich. What if you could make the tiny rich planet directly support the larger poor planet without building a full-fledged colony on it?

This kind of thing would only work within a solar system, kind of like a Planetary Expansion. You'd pick an option from the Build menu on your habitable-but-poor planet to create a mining outpost on the neighboring hostile-but-rich planet. This mining outpost would increase the parent planet's industrial production by a certain amount depending upon the mineral wealth of the mining planet (unlike a colony, the mining outpost would not add to total command points).

Unlike a Planetary Expansion, the mining outpost would cost money to maintain and may even take up a building slot (I leave that to the discretion of the developers). It would be logical for the maintenance cost of the mining outpost to go down if you have a Space Elevator, since that makes it easier to get things from orbit down to the surface of the parent planet or vice-versa.

In the event that a system with a mining outpost is blockaded by an enemy fleet, the parent planet will not be able to use the mining planet's mineral wealth. The enemy can also invade the mining planet and turn it into their own colony, or destroy the mining outpost by bombarding the mining planet.

Finally, you can build an actual colony on a planet after placing an outpost there, but that effectively scraps the outpost and the planet that originally built said outpost will no longer receive any benefit from it. You should not be able to replace a full-fledged colony on a planet with a mining outpost (unless the colony on the target planet dies out first).

Does anyone else think this is a good idea? I also welcome suggestions on how to improve the concept.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2012, 02:44 AM
RE: Mining Outposts (or "Support Planets")
When I initially ran into 4X games, I always wondered why one didn't colonize a whole system, rather than a single planet.

My rational then was that, well, if we had the tech to mine our asteroid fields and settle Titan or Pluto, the solar system would likely work as a unit, in much the same way as the world's economy is tightly interconnected.

As for sharing systems, there's little chances we'd allow some alien race to settle an entire planet for their exclusive use in our own systems were this the case.

Game Center IDs: ddebernardy | ddb.testflight
02-11-2012, 04:28 AM
(02-11-2012 02:44 AM)ddebernardy Wrote:  When I initially ran into 4X games, I always wondered why one didn't colonize a whole system, rather than a single planet.

My rational then was that, well, if we had the tech to mine our asteroid fields and settle Titan or Pluto, the solar system would likely work as a unit, in much the same way as the world's economy is tightly interconnected.

As for sharing systems, there's little chances we'd allow some alien race to settle an entire planet for their exclusive use in our own systems were this the case.

FEATURE REQUEST. Can we add an asteroid mining tech so that if we have colonized a system without planets - we can exploit that fact later in the game? I would presume the mining output would be some base industry as well as a bonus for whatever workers are on the system building that device. It would also probably take up one or two slots since you would need processing and dock space on the planet that is sending out mining equipment.

Even more radical (since it's not yet in the game) would to have multipliers. Perhaps robotic tech once built could multiply this and other technologies. OK - maybe just the first idea for now...
02-11-2012, 05:21 AM
(02-11-2012 04:28 AM)bmike Wrote:  FEATURE REQUEST. Can we add an asteroid mining tech so that if we have colonized a system without planets - we can exploit that fact later in the game? I would presume the mining output would be some base industry as well as a bonus for whatever workers are on the system building that device. It would also probably take up one or two slots since you would need processing and dock space on the planet that is sending out mining equipment.

Added to whipping post to look into for a future version. Generally, I like the idea of new technology introduced to do something with the asteroids and/or gas giants (whether it be mining, planet construction, whatnot).
08-28-2012, 05:03 AM
I expanded a little bit on the idea of outposts (mining and otherwise) in this thread. I'll provide a refined proposal below, but I do want to say that I think this tech addition would add greatly to the game. I see it far down on the 1.1.7 whipping post list, and I'd love to see it bumped up!

As an aside, I'm in a game where my part of the galaxy seems to have a ton of systems with only asteroids and/or gas giants, so it would be awesome to be able to use them in some way. Here is my suggestion:

New Astrophysics Techs:
Mining Outpost I, II, III

Once researched, players can use a colony ship to "colonize" an asteroid belt (at tech level I) and/or a gas giant (at tech level II). These colonies do not function like a normal colony, and have no worker populations or slots for building buildings. Instead, the colony functions as a mining outpost.

Once a mining outpost is established, players can select a destination planet for the mining outpost's "exports," which take the form of industrial production units (the theory being that asteroids can provide metallic resources and gas giants can provide vital fuel + energy sources). It will take a number of turns to establish this supply route based on the distance and drive speed of your empire.

The receiving planet can be in the same system or a different one, and once the supply route is formed that planet receives a fixed bonus to their industrial production each turn. In the case of the planet being in a different system, a blockade in either system would server the supply route, which would need to be reestablished once the blockade clears. Marine troops could be used to take over mining outposts as well.

I'm not sure about the specific values and costs of the tech, but perhaps something like this:

Level I: Asteroid +5 industry/turn
Level II: Asteroid +10 industry/turn; Gas Giant +15 industry/turn
Level III: Asteroid +15 industry/turn; Gas Giant +25 industry/turn
08-29-2012, 07:07 AM
+1 to Mezmorki's idea of the implementation. I really like it. I also like the idea of some types of multipliers the the outposts.

Writer and all around crazy person.
GC ID: falanor4421 *** Sandbox : falanor4421 (I think...) ***
Always looking for a game
08-29-2012, 09:32 AM
(02-11-2012 01:50 AM)BookBeast Wrote:  Okay, here's the idea: you have this one system containing a large Terran planet that's mineral poor and a tiny Toxic planet that's very mineral rich. What if you could make the tiny rich planet directly support the larger poor planet without building a full-fledged colony on it?

This kind of thing would only work within a solar system, kind of like a Planetary Expansion. You'd pick an option from the Build menu on your habitable-but-poor planet to create a mining outpost on the neighboring hostile-but-rich planet. This mining outpost would increase the parent planet's industrial production by a certain amount depending upon the mineral wealth of the mining planet (unlike a colony, the mining outpost would not add to total command points).

Unlike a Planetary Expansion, the mining outpost would cost money to maintain and may even take up a building slot (I leave that to the discretion of the developers). It would be logical for the maintenance cost of the mining outpost to go down if you have a Space Elevator, since that makes it easier to get things from orbit down to the surface of the parent planet or vice-versa.

In the event that a system with a mining outpost is blockaded by an enemy fleet, the parent planet will not be able to use the mining planet's mineral wealth. The enemy can also invade the mining planet and turn it into their own colony, or destroy the mining outpost by bombarding the mining planet.

Finally, you can build an actual colony on a planet after placing an outpost there, but that effectively scraps the outpost and the planet that originally built said outpost will no longer receive any benefit from it. You should not be able to replace a full-fledged colony on a planet with a mining outpost (unless the colony on the target planet dies out first).

Does anyone else think this is a good idea? I also welcome suggestions on how to improve the concept.

I really like this, +1 from me.

These are the days of miracle and wonder, this is the long distance call. The way the camera follows us in slow mo, the way we look to us all. The way we look to a distant constellation that's dying in a corner of the sky. These are the days of miracle and wonder, and don't cry, baby, don't cry.
08-29-2012, 10:39 AM
(02-11-2012 01:50 AM)BookBeast Wrote:  Okay, here's the idea: you have this one system containing a large Terran planet that's mineral poor and a tiny Toxic planet that's very mineral rich. What if you could make the tiny rich planet directly support the larger poor planet without building a full-fledged colony on it?

+1 this feature would be awesome!

GC- TerranEmperor
10-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Apologies for the bump on this one ....

But Rocco can you shed any insight on the possibility of getting this feature implemented, and/or in conjunction with the ideas in this thread? This idea has been hanging around the whipping posts for a while and got some positive responses from you previously.

Anyway, I know you are knee deep into 1.1.7, but it sounds it after that version is out development may slow down on new features for SO1 and I'd hate to miss out on this feature, as the asteroids + gas giants are begging some technology to make them relevant in terms of gameplay (and theme for that matter).

There is a fair amount of support for these ideas between the two threads - so I'd hate for them to get lost in the shuffle.

Thanks!
10-09-2012, 12:31 AM
It won't make it in for v1.1.7. As for what happens after v1.1.7, we'll just have to wait and see.

One thing to do would be to make sure these threads make it on this list , as I go back to that list when looking for new features.