Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
Feature request - fighter bays
02-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Feature request - fighter bays
I would like to request for the next big update adding fighter bays as a system component. My thought is that the fighter bays would take up 1 or 2 slots and provide 4 to 6 fighters. The fighters would be smaller than a frigate and carry one weapon (possible 1 level below highest researched due to size constraint). The fighters would be very fast and capable of avoiding 50 - 60 % of weapons fire. However, they would not be very heavily armored.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2012, 04:06 AM
RE: Feature request - fighter bays
That's a great idea! Smile

But I would like to see them in the weapon slots, limited to the two biggest hull types and occupying several slots (4 at least).
03-01-2012, 05:31 AM
And of cours there should be anti-fighter turrets as equipment

GC: Elph -=- GC Sandbox: Elph
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2012, 05:37 AM
(03-01-2012 05:31 AM)elph Wrote:  And of cours there should be anti-fighter turrets as equipment

Being that they would be so small, I would suspect they would be subject to the PDS tech.

Though we are not now that strength that in
Old days moved earth and heaven
That which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
-------
GC: engineeredguy2 GCS: StandAlone-SB
03-04-2012, 06:53 AM
Here's a thought. Fighter bays should only be able to be equipped on Titan and mammoth class ships, take 3 or 4 weapons slots and each bay can hold 5 frigates with the best short range weapon, laser, gauss or IPC. That would be awesome.

GC: Elph -=- GC Sandbox: Elph
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2012, 07:15 AM
(03-04-2012 06:53 AM)elph Wrote:  Here's a thought. Fighter bays should only be able to be equipped on Titan and mammoth class ships, take 3 or 4 weapons slots and each bay can hold 5 frigates with the best short range weapon, laser, gauss or IPC. That would be awesome.

Personally I'd rather use my weapon slots on a mammoth for actual weapons. Even if you used 3 slots for 5 frigates, sure, that gets you 2 extra weapons, but frigates die really easily. 3 weapons on a mammoth that will survive FAR long is way better IMO than 5 weapons on frigates that die in no time flat.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
03-04-2012, 07:21 AM
(03-04-2012 07:15 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  
(03-04-2012 06:53 AM)elph Wrote:  Here's a thought. Fighter bays should only be able to be equipped on Titan and mammoth class ships, take 3 or 4 weapons slots and each bay can hold 5 frigates with the best short range weapon, laser, gauss or IPC. That would be awesome.

Personally I'd rather use my weapon slots on a mammoth for actual weapons. Even if you used 3 slots for 5 frigates, sure, that gets you 2 extra weapons, but frigates die really easily. 3 weapons on a mammoth that will survive FAR long is way better IMO than 5 weapons on frigates that die in no time flat.

I agree that it should be equipped only on the Titan and mammoth sizes. I think they should be system slots so that you can still have the weapons. My original thought was the fighters would be smaller than a frigate and therefore more agile and able to avoid various weapons fire. They would however be subject to the PDS.

Though we are not now that strength that in
Old days moved earth and heaven
That which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
-------
GC: engineeredguy2 GCS: StandAlone-SB
03-04-2012, 02:51 PM
I like the thought, but frigs provide just about the same purpose imo. Fighter bays in sci movies are often to avoid the prospect of having all of the fighters travel outside the convey for protection/lack of lightspeed. Neither is really a problem in this game.

With that being said, cool addition potentially.

1.09 Tournament Champion (February, 2012)
03-06-2012, 06:06 PM
I like the idea of fighter bays!
03-11-2012, 09:36 AM
(03-01-2012 04:06 AM)Schlaefer Wrote:  That's a great idea! Smile

But I would like to see them in the weapon slots, limited to the two biggest hull types and occupying several slots (4 at least).

I agree about it only being able on the largest hull types, but I don't see the need for it to take four slots, maybe two.