Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
Feature request - fighter bays
03-16-2012, 12:07 PM
RE: Feature request - fighter bays
Love the discussion! Cool

Does anyone imagine strike craft being able to shoot down incoming ordinance (ala Battlestar Galactica)?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2012, 12:46 PM
(03-16-2012 12:07 PM)rocco Wrote:  Love the discussion! Cool

Does anyone imagine strike craft being able to shoot down incoming ordinance (ala Battlestar Galactica)?

Maybe to a certain limit? Or else the PDS would be replaced, since strike crafts can also be offensive.
03-16-2012, 03:39 PM
(03-16-2012 12:07 PM)rocco Wrote:  Love the discussion! Cool

That is definitely a cool idea. I think we (you) would need to be careful not to replicate the function of PDS as BSG said. I think that that would not be a problem in the end though because the strike craft would also be able to be offensive. Also, are you going to be adding fighters and bombers? or just one type of strike craft?
03-16-2012, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2012 04:02 PM by rocco.)
(03-16-2012 03:39 PM)steveadams14 Wrote:  Also, are you going to be adding fighters and bombers? or just one type of strike craft?

I am committing to nothing at this time Angel

That being said, the more fleshed out an idea gets on the forums, the more likely it will make its way to the whipping post. I am asking mostly to keep the conversation going, and to ask the obvious things player will request when/if the feature were to get implemented.
03-16-2012, 09:24 PM
(03-16-2012 04:02 PM)rocco Wrote:  
(03-16-2012 03:39 PM)steveadams14 Wrote:  Also, are you going to be adding fighters and bombers? or just one type of strike craft?

That being said, the more fleshed out an idea gets on the forums, the more likely it will make its way to the whipping post. I am asking mostly to keep the conversation going, and to ask the obvious things player will request when/if the feature were to get implemented.

So to summarize the discussion so far,

Weapon slot as opposed to system slot
Only Titan and massive can equip
3 to 6 fighters per bay (possibly occupies two slots)
Can possibly act as PDS and be subject to PDS
Faster than frigate, short range
Possibly able to avoid some weapon fire (a percentage chance say 50%)
Possibly bomber and heavy bomber versions
Starbases equip with 4/8/12 fighters, 2/4/6 bombers, 0/2/4 heavy bomber

Though we are not now that strength that in
Old days moved earth and heaven
That which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
-------
GC: engineeredguy2 GCS: StandAlone-SB
03-17-2012, 01:49 AM
(03-16-2012 09:24 PM)StandAlone Wrote:  

So to summarize the discussion so far,

Weapon slot as opposed to system slot
Only Titan and massive can equip
3 to 6 fighters per bay (possibly occupies two slots)
Can possibly act as PDS and be subject to PDS
Faster than frigate, short range
Possibly able to avoid some weapon fire (a percentage chance say 50%)
Possibly bomber and heavy bomber versions
Starbases equip with 4/8/12 fighters, 2/4/6 bombers, 0/2/4 heavy bomber

Oh and gauss turret would deal x2 damage against strike craft and reduces their fire avoidance, unless a specific flak turret is created.

Strike crafts can not move between star systems without a carrier.

Some land based ones maybe? (like the marine barracks but produces strike crafts instead)
03-17-2012, 01:56 AM
Do bombers have limited ammo? For example, in moo2 I think they had 3 bombs on them, then had to return to the base ship to dock and restock.
03-17-2012, 04:59 AM

I understand this is talk, nothing is set in stone, my question was meant to be hypothetical. And cool.
03-17-2012, 11:03 AM
(03-17-2012 01:56 AM)rocco Wrote:  Do bombers have limited ammo? For example, in moo2 I think they had 3 bombs on them, then had to return to the base ship to dock and restock.

They should, considering they are (and should be) quite powerful in numbers.
03-17-2012, 01:51 PM
(03-17-2012 11:03 AM)BSG Wrote:  
(03-17-2012 01:56 AM)rocco Wrote:  Do bombers have limited ammo? For example, in moo2 I think they had 3 bombs on them, then had to return to the base ship to dock and restock.

They should, considering they are (and should be) quite powerful in numbers.

Agreed.