Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
Feature request - fighter bays
06-02-2012, 09:24 AM
RE: Feature request - fighter bays
I just noticed the "raider launch bay" ability from captain gentry, so will the bays be availible as equipments later or just gentry can use it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2012, 09:44 AM
(06-02-2012 09:24 AM)BSG Wrote:  I just noticed the "raider launch bay" ability from captain gentry, so will the bays be availible as equipments later or just gentry can use it.

Captain Jack Gentry's raiders aren't actually fighters. The Raider bays spawn 1 frigate equipped with a Gauss 3 turret every 5 combat rounds (there's 50 combat rounds in 1 turn), the number of bays on the ship depends on the ship size.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
06-02-2012, 12:56 PM
(06-02-2012 09:44 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 09:24 AM)BSG Wrote:  I just noticed the "raider launch bay" ability from captain gentry, so will the bays be availible as equipments later or just gentry can use it.

Captain Jack Gentry's raiders aren't actually fighters. The Raider bays spawn 1 frigate equipped with a Gauss 3 turret every 5 combat rounds (there's 50 combat rounds in 1 turn), the number of bays on the ship depends on the ship size.

If i havnt researched gauss turret 3 will those frigates use gauss turret 3?
06-02-2012, 01:04 PM
(06-02-2012 12:56 PM)BSG Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 09:44 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  

If i havnt researched gauss turret 3 will those frigates use gauss turret 3?

Yup

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
09-21-2014, 04:22 AM
This is an awesome thread. I believe

Fighter recovery — Fighters are going to get destroyed in battle, the question is how do they get recovered? After the battle is over, do you immediately and magically recover all of them? Sounds perhaps a bit overpowered, and not in line with the games other philosophies (normally, a damaged ship wouldn't immediately jump back to 100% health following a battle). Instead, let's say that each fighter bay equips your carrier with x fighters, and while not engaged in combat your carrier recovers 1 fighter per turn per bay, until they you're back at your original compliment. The simplest solution, the carrier's compliment could be displayed in the fleet info window (3xLaser Beam I, 5xFighters). And/or, more complex but awesome, with a slight artwork tweak, from the "Fleet Orbiting" view — similar to how leader ships have an asterisk, what if a dynamic ring of triangles were around your titan, each triangle representing one fighter?

Fighter bays should only be possible on larger ship sizes — This would :
  • be one of several ways to make fighters a late game addition (along with sheer production cost or making them late game tech)
  • give these larger and slower ship sizes some options they don't already have when engaging larger swarms (for instance, now long-range frigates adjust their attack angle to try and avoid fighters on their way to strafe the mammoth)
  • force the carrier owner to decide whether to keep the fighters in to defend these larger more costly ships, or send them out on the offensive; for instance, early battle you might keep them in tight but late battle send them out to help mop up

Fighters could certainly be equipped on Starbases — Not sure about a colony being equipped with them via a building a slot. The plus would be you could utilize them without a Starbase, but still as a compliment to a Starbase. But what happens to the fighters if the "launchpad" gets hit by orbital bombard? And is this a duplicatable colony building, more launchpads, more fighters? I'd rather think of fighters as a nice beef to your standard Starbase system defense.

Counter-Fighter Strategies — It seems to me that you'd be making a choice between one of three options, perhaps with varying effectiveness, and each with unique two-fold benefits.
  • Gauss : Medium effective fighter defense, also gives your largest ships an effective mid-range weapons compliment, highly scalable (player can easily decide to get 1 gauss or 5, depending on situation)
  • PDS : While especially good at stopping missiles (something neither Gauss nor FOYO provide), PDS only has moderate effectiveness against fighters, because fighters are less volatile and piloted by intelligent agents
  • FOYO (Fighters of your own) : The most effective of the three options at defending against/engaging fighters, but FOYO do not provide *much* in the way of missile defense, certainly not comparable to PDS.

(Not sure how to balance FOYO against Gauss. Perhaps Gauss, as a weapon just does more damage at a faster rate, or FOYO is production-wise more costly than either Gauss or PDS, or probably even both combined. Also, because smaller ship classes can't have fighters of their own, Gauss and PDS are their only fighter counters. That, or make sure they're always in a fleet with a carrier.)

Bombardment — I like what BSG said about there being fighters, bombers, and heavy bombers. However, I'm not sure about bombers being able to bombard orbitally. Wouldn't this really devalue orbital bombardment, and make bombers super valuable? They'd take out big ships and you could bombard with them? I s'pose orbital bombard would still be useful on smaller ship classes...

Larger number of fighters is better? — There are balancing questions, but we may always weaken the fighters. One of the greatest things about Starbase Orion is the epic-ness of the space battles. All that work and planning, and then the battles serve as is special kind of payoff BOOM! Can you imagine 15 bitty fighters streaming out of a mammoth at the beginning of combat? Intense. Big Grin

And finally

(03-17-2012 11:03 AM)BSG Wrote:  
(03-17-2012 01:56 AM)rocco Wrote:  Do bombers have limited ammo? For example, in moo2 I think they had 3 bombs on them, then had to return to the base ship to dock and restock.

They should, considering they are (and should be) quite powerful in numbers.

+1 to that.