Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
1.1 Strategy
03-01-2012, 10:05 AM
1.1 Strategy
So, you awesome folks who did the beta.....wanna share the new dominate strats Smile.

1.09 Tournament Champion (February, 2012)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2012, 10:32 AM
RE: 1.1 Strategy
More... than... one... PDS per ship.

Mammoth with combat engines and thrusters is more maneuverable than a cruiser, too. :-P

Game Center IDs: ddebernardy | ddb.testflight
03-01-2012, 10:39 AM
(03-01-2012 10:32 AM)ddebernardy Wrote:  More... than... one... PDS per ship.

Mammoth with combat engines and thrusters is more maneuverable than a cruiser, too. :-P

Yah, definitely at least 2 pds per ship.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
03-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Hmm, I wish there were a list of how much all the techs cost; the help page seems to be un-updated.

Given the addition of engines and thrusters, I'd think an IPC mammoth could be pretty brutal.

03-01-2012, 10:44 AM
(03-01-2012 10:40 AM)Shep Wrote:  Hmm, I wish there were a list of how much all the techs cost; the help page seems to be un-updated.

Given the addition of engines and thrusters, I'd think an IPC mammoth could be pretty brutal.

Most cost 50 at rank 1, 75 at rank 2, 100 at rank 3 I believe. Not sure if there's any that vary from that or not, haven't built em all...

03-01-2012, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2012 11:40 AM by ddebernardy.)
(03-01-2012 10:40 AM)Shep Wrote:  Given the addition of engines and thrusters, I'd think an IPC mammoth could be pretty brutal.

It always has been, in my experience. Absolutely monstrous, in fact. :-D
In strat terms, I think the main addition to 1.1 is the absence of micromanagement.

Basically, prepare four queues:

- early game w/o defenses
- early game w/ defenses
- mid game
- late game

The key is to not build *everything* in the first three (but versatile enough, for the first three, that they're still ok in mid-/late-game), and to complete them with a Econ funding. When you're rich enough, switch planets from early to mid game. And the same at later stages. In my games, I'm usually worrying about keeping the cash between 600 (you never know when a starbase is needed) and 1200 (to cope with a few turns at -100 GC/turn).

Whether to add planet expansions and terraforming in one or more queues is debatable. Personally, I like to manage those things manually, but automating it in the last two queues works too (if you can afford the occasional -300 GC/turn).

Lately, I seldom bother looking at what the planets are producing, except when I need new ships, or when I think too many are doing funding.
Oh, and titans and mammoths are quite affordable with highly industrious races. 7-8 turn titans are within reach, as are 9-12 turn mammoths. I think the shortest I've ever seen was a fully equipped Titan in 5 turns.

Don't miss production spill. It can occasionally be worth it, on a high industry planet, to pop a cheap troop ship or two, or a factory, before going for the big ship. Doing so "wastes" a turn in the former case, and none (assuming a big planet and little investment) in the latter.

Give shared intel a shot, too. It's tough as a trait early on, but it's well worth it if your game spans longer than 412.0.

Be wary of jumping on HGA, lastly. It no longer is a must-have. And if you're shared intel, don't get it at all - you'd get a double penalty on most planets early in the game, and it's crippling.
Re the new ship equipment:

- shield modulation units are mostly useless unless you build nebulas all over and armor/hull across the board
- enhanced shields, or whatever the name is (the one that doubles the recharge rate) is not as good as an armor/hull upgrade
- a 3 PDS fleet beats a 3 ECM fleet; the reverse reportedly holds for a 1 PDS fleet vs a 1 ECM fleet
- don't under-estimate engines and thrusters, per prior note; having a battleship charge your way faster than a destroyer is surprising to say the least
Re science, the tree now behaves consistently.

At all times in the first run, you should have:

- 3 level-1 techs
- 2 with small minded
- 4 with broad minded
And for the sake of completeness, don't miss the earlier posts in this thread, which discuss reinforcements:

http://chimerasw.com/starbaseorion/forum...hp?tid=764

03-01-2012, 12:41 PM
On production: I still micromanage, can't help myself Smile. Will look into production cues, especially as it can help you directly build the next thing. I also like to keep cash in that area. Have to say, seems like that's most of the same strats I was using.

High-gravity affinity: This actually hurts you I'd think, as two of your three initial planets have negative gravity penalties right out of the gate.

What did you mean about science?

Thanks for the thoughts, looking forward to playing what is really almost a new game.

03-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Re science, I meant that it no longer is the case that you can end up without running into orb labs like VL did in your tourney game, for instance. Aknown insight on how the tree works might prompt you, on occasion, to you knowingly go for a mediocre tech here and there in order to get the very good one that will then turn up; or how to flush the mediocre techs out of your options.

03-02-2012, 05:38 AM
Interesting. Any thoughts on ship building strat? Seems like it might make sense to build as big as possible now.

03-02-2012, 07:15 AM
(03-01-2012 12:41 PM)Shep Wrote:  On production: I still micromanage, can't help myself Smile. Will look into production cues, especially as it can help you directly build the next thing. I also like to keep cash in that area. Have to say, seems like that's most of the same strats I was using.

High-gravity affinity: This actually hurts you I'd think, as two of your three initial planets have negative gravity penalties right out of the gate.

What did you mean about science?

Thanks for the thoughts, looking forward to playing what is really almost a new game.

I love the custom build focuses. I use them for pretty much every planet except my homeworld. I DO need to go actually create some more, right now I just have one that I've been using.

I actually still use HGA. Yah, it slows down your other two planets, but it's not too bad. I start out the game transferring 1 colonist to the 3 max planet, put all guys on each planet on industry, and they both build a research center in 6 turns. If I maxed out their pop, they'd build even faster. What I've noticed with HGA on a normal grav planet, is it basically cancels out my Amazing Industrialists. A rich planet gets 5 prod from 1 guy, very rich gets 7 as I recall. So it's nothing too bad (would be worse without AI). And since they best planets are always going to be high gravity, I generally think it pays off, though I do need to do some more testing with Shared Intel, since it can actually be quite good now as long as you don't get hit early.

As for ship building, I've pretty much always thought that bigger was better. I balance ship size with how long it'll take to build, homeworld builds the biggest ship I can, others will build smaller to get em out a bit quicker if necessary. And I always fill up the ship systems now. A battleship with 6 heavy armor plating 1 has like 800 something armor, and builds far faster than 2 battleships.