Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ship battles - all messed up
03-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Bug Ship battles - all messed up
Ok, maybe I am a bit old fashion, but I thought if you tell a ship to "Retreat", it wold actually RUN from a group of ships instead of back tracking and running in front of them (hits "wall" and then changes course).

Then I had a ship go against a crystal entity (NICE touch). I saw that the Crystal entity could not fire until at the mid-point of medium range. So, I told my ship to fire from long range. What happened? My STUPID ship ran up to medium range to fire its' first volley and got nailed. On top of that, once the "brains" in my ship engaged, and it tried to stay out of range, while the crystal entity was still out of range (according to the distance graph at the right) Crystal opened fire and nailed my ship and shortly after that it was over (my ship died). So does this mean that ship distance is not honored by ships on either side of the battle anymore?

And YES, if you want a video, I will make one. (BTW, how big an attachment can I put on here?)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2012, 02:54 AM
RE: Ship battles - all messed up
The stay at whatever range thing is rather bad. They seem to weave between med+long I think it's being looked into. I know it has been mentioned on another forum.

GC - Sarducar_Dun
04-02-2012, 03:18 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2012 03:19 AM by rocco.)
This is being improved for v1.1.3:

04-02-2012, 05:26 AM
(04-02-2012 03:18 AM)rocco Wrote:  This is being improved for v1.1.3:

Is this the strike craft sim?
04-02-2012, 05:42 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2012 05:42 AM by rocco.)
(04-02-2012 05:26 AM)BSG Wrote:  Is this the strike craft sim?

Its 41 frigates armed with plasma turret 1, ordered to stay at long range against a fully decked out mammoth with ion cannons 3. Same test scenario I use to simulate the effects of slowing down the fire rate of IPC against lots of small craft, yes. Although in that test, I focuses on frigates with gauss instead of plasmas.

Before the improvements to the ship flight algorithms, this scenario resulted in only 70% of the frigates surviving the fight ( due to the well know "charge to mid range then run to full range" issue). With the improvements in v1.1.3, 98% of the frigates survive.
04-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Should open up a whole new world of tactical options and make Frigates worth another look. Thank You Rocco.

Mal