Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Pro Tips Thread
05-02-2012, 06:58 PM
RE: Pro Tips Thread
(03-23-2012 12:03 AM)StandAlone Wrote:  Spying can be an effective tool to supplement your research pool.

Spying can aid in sabotaging the enemies ability to deploy ships.

Could I get some of the statistics on this like loss of productivity per a spy (without the bonus) or how exactly it statistically supplements research?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2012, 11:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2012 11:18 PM by Stonebreaker75.)
(05-02-2012 06:58 PM)Dardanthian Wrote:  
(03-23-2012 12:03 AM)StandAlone Wrote:  Spying can be an effective tool to supplement your research pool.

Could I get some of the statistics on this like loss of productivity per a spy (without the bonus) or how exactly it statistically supplements research?

Rocco posted the base spy mechanics a while back: each spy gives a base 1% chance of a successful spy action each turn, less 1% for each enemy spy on defense. Both numbers are subject to Charismatic/Repulsive modification, and the offense can benefit from the Personal Cloaking Device.

I don't know if you can put hard statistics on the effects of spying: you can't know how many defending spies there are, you don't know if the enemy even has any tech that you don't unless you see it in action or get a "your spies could find no new tech" message on a successful turn, and sabotage can be anything from stealing credits, disrupting research, slowing down a fleet in motion, or blowing up anything from a Marine Barracks in the middle of nowhere to blowing up a battleship.

In short: effective if you invest enough in them, but unpredictable.

Game Center ID = User ID
"The meek, he had been told, would inherit the earth, but only when the last soldier left it to them in his will."
05-03-2012, 12:42 AM
(03-23-2012 08:41 PM)7B8 Wrote:  Evacuate your planet(s) before a dominant invading fleet arrives.

How do you evactuate your planet?
05-03-2012, 02:19 AM
(05-03-2012 12:42 AM)Dardanthian Wrote:  
(03-23-2012 08:41 PM)7B8 Wrote:  Evacuate your planet(s) before a dominant invading fleet arrives.

How do you evactuate your planet?

Move all the colonists to different planets on the Empire screen. You'll get a message saying that your colony was lost to starvation the following turn.

Game Center ID = User ID
"The meek, he had been told, would inherit the earth, but only when the last soldier left it to them in his will."
05-06-2012, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2012 07:19 AM by Dardanthian.)
(05-02-2012 11:15 PM)Stonebreaker75 Wrote:  

Rocco posted the base spy mechanics a while back: each spy gives a base 1% chance of a successful spy action each turn, less 1% for each enemy spy on defense. Both numbers are subject to Charismatic/Repulsive modification, and the offense can benefit from the Personal Cloaking Device.

I don't know if you can put hard statistics on the effects of spying: you can't know how many defending spies there are, you don't know if the enemy even has any tech that you don't unless you see it in action or get a "your spies could find no new tech" message on a successful turn, and sabotage can be anything from stealing credits, disrupting research, slowing down a fleet in motion, or blowing up anything from a Marine Barracks in the middle of nowhere to blowing up a battleship.

How many spies would You consider to be effective?

I <3 Voss.
05-06-2012, 08:27 AM
(05-06-2012 07:18 AM)Dardanthian Wrote:  
(05-02-2012 11:15 PM)Stonebreaker75 Wrote:  

How many spies would You consider to be effective?

To play a true spy build, you pretty much want enough spies to trigger something every turn, which means at least 50 with the double effectiveness trait, more if your opponent has defenders. If you aren't playing a full spy build and just want to harass with them, maybe make your opponent spend time building up defenders, you don't need nearly as many, just enough to trigger occasionally to get em worried.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
05-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Build on your races weaknesses and maximise on your races strengths

GC tag: -+ largefries +-
05-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Gauss are good at the beginning (enemy won't have shields hopefully)
03-14-2013, 01:31 AM
Some tips that I use.

You can set your military auto build have a system automatically create star bases. They get destroyed but can trap a fleet in a system and whittle away at them.

Gauss turrets rock inside nebulas if you have shield modulation units on your ships/star base. For outside nebulas I have 4-5 small ships with combat engines / shields / gauss turrets. Then long range heavy ships to strip shields from incoming fleet.

If you have an attacking force with a large fleet you can't fight against, you can use hit and run tactics.

- Build a number of ships with orbital bombardment packages (the more the merrier).
- Find an enemy system that is not heavily protected. The further away from the main fleet the better.
- Attack the system. You want to destroy their buildings only. If you have spare bombardments lower the population as well (don't destroy the colony).
- Run off to another system (one of yours with warp gates helps).

Once you initiate the attack sometimes the AI or people send their forces to that area. So you warp gate or move to a different system and repeat. Destroying the buildings cripples their ability to recover. You also spend less in resources creating troops/defending the places.
06-18-2013, 07:10 AM
Don't forget to protect your colonies. A fighting chance is better than no chance.

Finishing up two games now where I walked through a relatively defenseless empire.