Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
List of Feature Requests
03-30-2012, 03:47 PM
RE: List of Feature Requests
(03-28-2012 03:39 PM)rocco Wrote:  Stickied! And thanks, I will add some comments soon.

General note about single player vs multiplayer requests

If you are on these forums and you are reading this post, then you likely already know some of the vision behind Starbase Orion. However, for any new people let's restate it now. Starbase Orion is a 4X strategy game that strives for a single, consistent experience whether you are enjoying the game alone or you are playing together with your friends. This is more than just a "one way is easier to do than the other" decision, it is a deep rooted belief that in the long run it will define SO as a game, allowing it to stand apart from the rest. The downside to this, of course, is that each and every feature is considered in the light of both forms of play; that means that it can and does take longer to find a good balance for new features such that they work well in both worlds.

Colony & Ship Leaders

Confirmed these are in production right now. Initial versions of leaders will be in the hands of the testing group for v1.1.3, but they may not make it into the official release until v1.1.4. Leaders in Starbase Orion are more equivalent to "hero units" than they are to "extra randomized things"; in other words, instead of having a mass of leaders that are randomly generated and all kinda vanilla, we are striving to have a smaller number of leaders each of which are uniquely talented. Leader X won't just increase production by 2 and boost growth rate by 10%. Leader X will have a small story, planet and/or system bonuses and then a unique "ultimate" ability that matches their purpose and gives them definition. Thanks to the wonderful imaginations of the SO players who contributed to their creation, we will launch with 18 uniquely desirable leaders.

Did I mention that players will be bidding against each other to hire leaders? Keep your treasury in check, as your galactic credits are gaining a whole new level of importance in the near future.

[Image: LEADER_FVE_BGEEEP.png]

Diplomacy

As you all know, diplomacy is probably the number one requested feature for SO. I am happy to say that work on diplomacy will start after colony & ship leaders is in. The observant player will likely know that I have been laying the ground work for diplomacy over the past several months ( advances in team play anyone? ). As mentioned in the note above, diplomacy will be considered in the light of both SP and MP games. That means that it will need to come with the options many of you have already noted, such as the ability to have full dynamic alliances/non-agression pacts/peace to retaining static teams while still allowing for trade/sharing research/etc. Be thinking along the lines of v1.1.7 - v1.2, I can't get any more specific than that.

I will likely start a Round Table discussion topic in the next few weeks to present specific topics for player feedback.

Historical Stats & Graphs

This was problematic before the data limit on GameCenter was increased. Now that this has changed, the plan is to start working in historical data and linking this to spying (think along the lines of sabotage spies having a high chance to generate a report every turn, and you can then review the whole as a graph). This would then become available at the end of the game for post-game review. No specific time frame for this feature yet.

Wreckage retrieval

As a means of gaining access to new technology, this is unlikely to happen. SO already favors the production races, allowing them easier access to new techs cause they build a scavenger ship will only make it worse. I could see this as a means of earning credits (selling the wreckage) or increasing production (towing the scraps back to base). This is not a high priority item.

Weapon damage graph (from combat view) on the ship designer view

Biggest challenge here is screen space. I would expect this in v1.1.4-1.1.5 timeframe, but it is a lower priority item.

Ships not auto-repairing after every battle

I like this idea. Unfortunately it is not a simple change, but I would label it a mid-high priority item.

Transporters - ability to invade without the need for troop ships. Also would include a transporter nullifier to reduce effectiveness of transporters

While troop transports may be a hassle, they do provide an clear and present warning to other empires as to the danger you and your fleet present. Removing troop ships entirely and "hiding" the ability to invade amongst your war ships takes away that strategic value. As this idea was presented I am generally against it.

One possibility might be an updated transport ship that would replenish marines over time (thus keeping the clear notion of "this fleet is an invasion risk" while lessening the needs to constantly be producing new troop ships). However there would need to be a cost associated with training new marines, you should not get them for free.

Just a few ideas.

1. Transporter. I like this, but what if, instead, it was a combat option, giving you the ability to take over an enemy ship.

2. Ship auto repair. My idea on this is: minor damage is auto-repaired over several turns. Major damage, such as hull damage needs to be repaired at a starbase or planet. OR, hull damage can be repaired, but armor damage needs a drydock. Anyway, just two options for it.

3. When you do leaders, you do it right. 18 at launch? Awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2012, 06:12 PM
I actually like that about armor and hull damage and having one repairable in operation while the other needing a dedicated base to fix. It would necessitate a change in making one armor type more expensive over the other or else the superior armor type would be stacked at the expense for the other, but it gives players that compromise. Ships heal, but only heal "hull" points after a battle. Once armor is depleted, its depleted till replenished at the nearest starbase.

As of now, there is no difference between structure points and armor points.
03-31-2012, 03:49 AM
Updated original post with more requests and started adding links to the discussion threads for some of the requests, will go back later and add more when I have more time again.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
03-31-2012, 04:04 AM
(03-28-2012 03:11 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Single Player - Actual gameplay differences (as opposed to save file stuff) are less likely as the idea is for the experience to be the same whether single or multiplayer

This is not quite accurate. Many gameplay suggestions in there would be fine for SP and MP, so long as they are optional. If two players in MP want be allied and colonize the entire galaxy together without an AI opponent, sounds fine to me. There is no reason to limit that to single player only.

The point being is that I never consider adding a "single-player only" feature, but always consider it in a light such that it can be added to both.
03-31-2012, 04:08 AM
(03-31-2012 04:04 AM)rocco Wrote:  
(03-28-2012 03:11 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  Single Player - Actual gameplay differences (as opposed to save file stuff) are less likely as the idea is for the experience to be the same whether single or multiplayer

This is not quite accurate. Many gameplay suggestions in there would be fine for SP and MP, so long as they are optional. If two players in MP want be allied and colonize the entire galaxy together without an AI opponent, sounds fine to me. There is no reason to limit that to single player only.

The point being is that I never consider adding a "single-player only" feature, but always consider it in a light such that it can be added to both.

So basically, just add any gameplay stuff to the Both section, leave the single player section for stuff like the changes to save files

03-31-2012, 04:25 AM
yup, sounds good and i'll comment on them one by one eventually.
03-31-2012, 05:19 AM
(03-31-2012 04:25 AM)rocco Wrote:  yup, sounds good and i'll comment on them one by one eventually.

k, cool

03-31-2012, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2012 12:48 PM by TerranEmperor.)
One important feature request that has not been mentioned much in this thread are the fighter bays and strike crafts. I saw that they are on the list, but besides that there has been no mention. The fighter bays would be one of the best new features in my opinion, but what does SO development and administration think?
03-31-2012, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2012 01:26 PM by StandAlone.)
(03-31-2012 12:33 PM)TerranEmperor Wrote:  One important feature request that has not been mentioned much in this thread are the fighter bays and strike crafts. I saw that they are on the list, but besides that there has been no mention. The fighter bays would be one of the best new features in my opinion, but what does SO development and administration think?

I believe that Rocco has said that he has done some testing using the frigate as a stand in for a strike craft. It was in another thread. I think this is one of the features that is drawing some attention.
What's the possibility of adding a new race? I like the idea (MoO3) of a race that lives in gas giants. Could be a less aggressive race as it is not competing for resources.

Though we are not now that strength that in
Old days moved earth and heaven
That which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
-------
GC: engineeredguy2 GCS: StandAlone-SB
03-31-2012, 01:38 PM
(03-31-2012 12:33 PM)TerranEmperor Wrote:  One important feature request that has not been mentioned much in this thread are the fighter bays and strike crafts. I saw that they are on the list, but besides that there has been no mention. The fighter bays would be one of the best new features in my opinion, but what does SO development and administration think?

Rocco's talked about it in the thread discussing them. This thread is mainly just so theres a list people can reference when they want to see if something has been suggested or not, its not meant for discussion about the various topics, thats why it has links to the discussion threads for some of thrm (and will have the rest later)