Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hello, and question about Draske
03-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Hello, and question about Draske
Hi all.

I've been enjoying SO for a few weeks now. Always solo.

Just recently I started playing as the Draske. They are described as being excellent combat pilots.

So why is it that they consistently loses scouts when trying to Retreat from the random life form encounters at unexplored star systems?

I've played dozens of games with the Cyban and never lost a scout in retreating.

Just curious.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2012, 12:52 PM
RE: Hello, and question about Draske
(03-31-2012 12:48 PM)Textheavy Wrote:  Hi all.

Just recently I started playing as the Draske. They are described as being excellent combat pilots.

So why is it that they consistently loses scouts when trying to Retreat from the random life form encounters at unexplored star systems?

I've played dozens of games with the Cyban and never lost a scout in retreating.

Just curious.

I noticed that too and I think it is due to the advanced combat piloting itself. Other races retreat better because they are regular pilots and go on relatively direct course of retreat while the Draske do more complex maneuvering which unfortunately in this case allows the random life forms t catch up to them. In most other circumstances their maneuvering is beneficial, but not in this one.
03-31-2012, 01:16 PM
(03-31-2012 12:52 PM)TerranEmperor Wrote:  
(03-31-2012 12:48 PM)Textheavy Wrote:  Hi all.

Just curious.

I noticed that too and I think it is due to the advanced combat piloting itself. Other races retreat better because they are regular pilots and go on relatively direct course of retreat while the Draske do more complex maneuvering which unfortunately in this case allows the random life forms t catch up to them. In most other circumstances their maneuvering is beneficial, but not in this one.

I think you are over thinking it. In all likelihood it's just luck of the draw.

Though we are not now that strength that in
Old days moved earth and heaven
That which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
-------
GC: engineeredguy2 GCS: StandAlone-SB
03-31-2012, 02:17 PM
And my question is, why play with one of the pre-built races? I prefer custom. Smile
03-31-2012, 02:31 PM
(03-31-2012 02:17 PM)Marzen Wrote:  And my question is, why play with one of the pre-built races? I prefer custom. Smile

The pre-built races are a good place to start while you are learning. Once you start playing MP games, custom races are the dominant choice.

Though we are not now that strength that in
Old days moved earth and heaven
That which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
-------
GC: engineeredguy2 GCS: StandAlone-SB
04-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Hi all,
Very interesting post. I'm playing an mp game and for the first time ever decided to give combat pilots a go. Cue me getting slaughtered by every random encounter - playing huge and expanding aggressively so have met lots of randoms, lost about 6 ships to them in 6 incidents. I think this exceeds my total number of ships lost during retreat in every other game I've played since the option was available (a decent number of games!).

Anyway, my question is; has anyone else noticed the phenomenon or was I just very unlucky this game? (Incidentally, I seem to have gotten away with losing a horrible number of ships - my opponent is clearly attempting some sort of diplomatic or cultural victory... poor thing)

David xnox
04-16-2012, 04:10 PM
I get it as well. I believe it is fixed/ being fixed in 1.1.3

GC - Sarducar_Dun
04-17-2012, 04:09 AM
(04-16-2012 04:10 PM)Sarducar Dun Wrote:  I get it as well. I believe it is fixed/ being fixed in 1.1.3

It is. The way combat pilots are set up in 1.1.2, they get a bigger bonus to speed than they do to turning, so while they're faster than other ships, they're actually less maneuverable, so they (I'm assuming) get stuck on the edges of the battlefield and the monsters catch up and kill them. The turning bonus was bumped up in 1.1.3 so they're more maneuverable so this shouldn't be an issue anymore when the update comes out.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion