Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Starbase Orion Academy
04-10-2012, 02:42 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2012 04:47 AM by StandAlone.)
Starbase Orion Academy
This thread is a place for those who want to learn more about Starbase Orion and developing their strategic game.

We need volunteers to teach the new guys. Please post a comment and your GC account in this thread.

A good idea is to do a two player survival game with one impossible AI. Of course if you want to do a head to head match that would be good as well.

My GC is engineeredguy2. I would say that I am an intermediate player and can help those just getting started and could use some advanced training.

Experts
Vanderlegion
Elph

Advanced
Standalone
falanor4421

Intermediate
Dorjan24
Mrwednesday
Dardanthian

Beginners
????

Though we are not now that strength that in
Old days moved earth and heaven
That which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
-------
GC: engineeredguy2 GCS: StandAlone-SB
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2012, 02:46 AM
RE: Starbase Orion Academy
Stickied!
04-10-2012, 02:50 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2012 02:52 AM by VanderLegion.)
(04-10-2012 02:46 AM)rocco Wrote:  Stickied!

That was quick!

Also, sign me up to help teach. I'd suggest (assuming you weren't already planning this) keeping a list of volunteers and their general skill level (advanced, intermediate, whatever you wanna call the different tiers) in the first post so people who want the help can find em easy without searching through the whole thread.
(That's part of why I let someone else create the thread. I'm already behind keeping the feature request thread updated due to other stuff going on, no need to add ANOTHER one to it Tongue)

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
04-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Hey guys, I just picked this game up and was hoping for something exactly like this, so hats off for having a better community than most of these type of games.

I played MOO2 a very long time ago and was hoping for something similar when I got my iPad, not expecting to find basically a port that works with my phone too. Really kickass.

So anyway, this looks like a good place to ask some of the things that I've been wondering.

With most of this type of game I am a technology-focused player. I am a big believer in superior technology and proper planning being practically unbeatable. It troubles me that I can't seem to research everything in this game, so here goes.

If I miss out on the first level of a tech, does that mean all levels of that tech are gone, short of finding it in a ruin? Is there a tech trading system that I couldn't find?

The first couple games I have played, I kept the farming to my Capitol (taking advantage of the Terran output) and put everyone else on industry to start building up an infrastructure. Should I focus one one type of building per planet (food, industry, research) or is it important to be flexible?

What weapon systems should I be focusing on? Looking around it looks like armor is better than anything else, should I ignore the shields and other upgrades?

That is a good start, but I am sure I will have more. You guys rock.
04-10-2012, 11:01 AM
(04-10-2012 10:44 AM)CheebaHawk95 Wrote:  Hey guys, I just picked this game up and was hoping for something exactly like this, so hats off for having a better community than most of these type of games.

I played MOO2 a very long time ago and was hoping for something similar when I got my iPad, not expecting to find basically a port that works with my phone too. Really kickass.

So anyway, this looks like a good place to ask some of the things that I've been wondering.
Welcome!!!

Quote:With most of this type of game I am a technology-focused player. I am a big believer in superior technology and proper planning being practically unbeatable. It troubles me that I can't seem to research everything in this game, so here goes.

If I miss out on the first level of a tech, does that mean all levels of that tech are gone, short of finding it in a ruin? Is there a tech trading system that I couldn't find?
If you miss the first rank of a tech, future ranks of the same exact tech will be gone for the time being as well. For example, if you skip advanced city planning I, ACP II and III will not show in the tech tree either.

Future tech that have similar effects (e.g. Efficient Factories, Robotics Facilities, Planetary Core Mining) will still show up. So if you skip Efficient Factories 1, you won't get EF2 to show up, but Robo Facilities and PCM still will. Eventually, once you've researched enough tech in a given tree, techs you skipped over the first time around will show back up again.

Quote:The first couple games I have played, I kept the farming to my Capitol (taking advantage of the Terran output) and put everyone else on industry to start building up an infrastructure. Should I focus one one type of building per planet (food, industry, research) or is it important to be flexible?
I typically keep my farming on my homeworld starting out, since as you said it gets a bonus from being Terran, as well as from being a double star system (+1 food per farmer). Everyone else on industry on my homeworld. Early game, everyone on my other two worlds goes on industry to build the research center on each planet, then everyone on those worlds goes onto research until I have more things to build.

I typically build everything (within reason) on all planets. For instance Research Centers and Hydroponics Bays, and other similar tech (orbital labs for research, etc) I'll build on every single planet, as the research boosts from RC and OL obviously is better the more you have (as well as the research bonus per researcher from RC), and the more hydroponics you have, the less farmers you need, so the more industry you get on the homeworld. Industry tech (efficient factories etc), I'll build everyone starting out, later in the game if I get to the point that I have to start doing funding then I'll have to slow down and spread out where I build when, though I still try to get the industry tech on every planet.

If I populate planets with less than abundant resources (to reach better planets for intsance), I'll generally just stick everyone on either farming or research depending on the planet (ocean/arid or better usually farming, otherwise research), and not bother building anything.

Quote:What weapon systems should I be focusing on? Looking around it looks like armor is better than anything else, should I ignore the shields and other upgrades?
In the current version of the game, Laser 3 and Heavy Armor Plating 1 early game, Ion Pulse Cannon 3 and Heavy Armor 2 late game. If you have energy shield 4, improved energy controller and shield modulation, substitute 3 of those in place of 3 heavy armor. I typically don't even start building combat ships anymore until I have Laser 3 and HAP1 since the armor is such a huge benefit unless my opponent sends ships after me before I have em.

The weapon/systems to focus on are going to be changing in the next update (1.1.3). That update is going to include numerous balance changes - outlined here - that will affect gameplay. The important take-outs are that different weapons will be more or less effective against different defenses - hull, armor, or shields - and that there will be stacking penalties for heavy armor plating and reinforced bulkheads - each extra one you add costs twice as much as the last one, so instead of 6 HAP, you might do 2 or 3 HAP, 2 or 3 RB, shields, etc (depending on ship size)

Quote:That is a good start, but I am sure I will have more. You guys rock.
Glad to help, let us know when you have more questions Smile

04-10-2012, 12:32 PM
(04-10-2012 10:44 AM)CheebaHawk95 Wrote:  Hey guys, I just picked this game up and was hoping for something exactly like this, so hats off for having a better community than most of these type of games.

With most of this type of game I am a technology-focused player. I am a big believer in superior technology and proper planning being practically unbeatable. It troubles me that I can't seem to research everything in this game, so here goes.

The first couple games I have played, I kept the farming to my Capitol (taking advantage of the Terran output) and put everyone else on industry to start building up an infrastructure. Should I focus one one type of building per planet (food, industry, research) or is it important to be flexible?

What weapon systems should I be focusing on? Looking around it looks like armor is better than anything else, should I ignore the shields and other upgrades?

That is a good start, but I am sure I will have more. You guys rock.

If you would like to learn first hand, send me a friend request through GC and I'll walk through a game with you. I will chat what I'm doing and off suggestions as we go.

Though we are not now that strength that in
Old days moved earth and heaven
That which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
-------
GC: engineeredguy2 GCS: StandAlone-SB
04-11-2012, 08:05 AM
Since I've just about won my first of many games with Master Vanderlegion, I guess that makes me a decent player Wink

I'd be up for one on one tutorials. But there's a big difference between fighting humans and AIs. Two completely different play styles.

GC: Elph -=- GC Sandbox: Elph
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-11-2012, 08:13 AM
(04-11-2012 08:05 AM)elph Wrote:  Since I've just about won my first of many games with Master Vanderlegion, I guess that makes me a decent player Wink
Don't listen to him, it's all lies! Vicious lies!!! I...let...him win...?

Quote:I'd be up for one on one tutorials. But there's a big difference between fighting humans and AIs. Two completely different play styles.

This is most definitely true.

04-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Sign me up to help out.

Vander, I'm gunna send you a game invite. You down?

Elph, sorry I've been letting long periods of time go in our game for the past couple days: I just drove up to northern washington with my girlfriend to visit her family. I'll be back to normal play in a little bit.
04-11-2012, 08:50 AM
(04-11-2012 08:48 AM)falanor4421 Wrote:  Sign me up to help out.

Vander, I'm gunna send you a game invite. You down?

Go for it, I'm always happy to find more opponents and get more games goin Smile