Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Starbase Orion Academy
04-11-2012, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2012 09:25 AM by StandAlone.)
RE: Starbase Orion Academy
(04-11-2012 08:05 AM)elph Wrote:  Since I've just about won my first of many games with Master Vanderlegion, I guess that makes me a decent player Wink

I'd be up for one on one tutorials. But there's a big difference between fighting humans and AIs. Two completely different play styles.

I was wondering why you've been unusually slow taking your turns. Congrats.

(04-11-2012 08:48 AM)falanor4421 Wrote:  Sign me up to help out.

Vander, I'm gunna send you a game invite. You down?

Elph, sorry I've been letting long periods of time go in our game for the past couple days: I just drove up to northern washington with my girlfriend to visit her family. I'll be back to normal play in a little bit.

What do you think your skill level is? I'll add you to the top post under Vanderlegion for now.

Though we are not now that strength that in
Old days moved earth and heaven
That which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
-------
GC: engineeredguy2 GCS: StandAlone-SB
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2012, 10:02 PM
I would say I want to teach but until I win my first tourney I don't believe myself worthy, although I will chip in when I can Smile

GC ID - Dorjan24, London Time.
04-11-2012, 10:38 PM
(04-11-2012 10:02 PM)Dorjan24 Wrote:  I would say I want to teach but until I win my first tourney I don't believe myself worthy, although I will chip in when I can Smile

It is really not about winning a tourney. i think teaching should be a reciprocal thing. You learn from teaching. I'm going to add you anyway and put you as a intermediate waiting for a master and a student.

-------
04-17-2012, 03:36 PM
I would definitely like some training. 3 games against AI on hard mode where I feel I'm doing reasonably well, then a race comes out of nowhere with 1 battleship, 2 cruisers, 7 destroyers and 2 scouts. I had 2 cruisers by that point, both produced from my home world--it was the most I could have produced by that point. I'd say this was around 50 to 60 turns by this point. I researched up to Laser 3 and Armor 2 and they had Plasma turrets and Nuke II's on all their destroyers. What am I doing wrong?
04-17-2012, 04:47 PM
(04-17-2012 03:36 PM)mrwednesday Wrote:  I would definitely like some training. 3 games against AI on hard mode where I feel I'm doing reasonably well, then a race comes out of nowhere with 1 battleship, 2 cruisers, 7 destroyers and 2 scouts. I had 2 cruisers by that point, both produced from my home world--it was the most I could have produced by that point. I'd say this was around 50 to 60 turns by this point. I researched up to Laser 3 and Armor 2 and they had Plasma turrets and Nuke II's on all their destroyers. What am I doing wrong?

Nothing really. The Hard/Impossible AIs cheat (they get a bonus to morale which lets them research/build/etc faster). Currently, you can exploit some weaknesses of the ai to make them fairly easy to beat. For example, if you send a lone scout to one of their worlds or to systems near their worlds, the AI will send their entire fleet chasing said scout so you can lead them on a merry chase while you build up.

This will no longer work in the next update (1.1.3), at which point I'm not sure what will be required to beat the harder AIs. I haven't tried playing solo vs a hard or impossible yet, and the survival game me'n Elph did vs 2 impossible AIs ended...badly.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
04-17-2012, 05:09 PM
That makes me feel much better. I'll give the chase a try and just keep hanging in there. The last game I just played against hard AI I was about 15 turns from having a fleet that could match up before they barreled through.
04-17-2012, 06:01 PM
(04-17-2012 05:09 PM)mrwednesday Wrote:  That makes me feel much better. I'll give the chase a try and just keep hanging in there. The last game I just played against hard AI I was about 15 turns from having a fleet that could match up before they barreled through.

Are you still interested in training? If so, I will add you to the list in the initial post.

-------
04-21-2012, 04:04 AM
(04-11-2012 08:59 AM)StandAlone Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 08:05 AM)elph Wrote:  Since I've just about won my first of many games with Master Vanderlegion, I guess that makes me a decent player Wink

I'd be up for one on one tutorials. But there's a big difference between fighting humans and AIs. Two completely different play styles.

I was wondering why you've been unusually slow taking your turns. Congrats.

(04-11-2012 08:48 AM)falanor4421 Wrote:  Sign me up to help out.

Vander, I'm gunna send you a game invite. You down?

Elph, sorry I've been letting long periods of time go in our game for the past couple days: I just drove up to northern washington with my girlfriend to visit her family. I'll be back to normal play in a little bit.

What do you think your skill level is? I'll add you to the top post under Vanderlegion for now.

Moderate-to-good. Send me a game invite for a one-on-one small map quick build and we can have a quick test.
04-22-2012, 08:46 PM
(04-17-2012 05:09 PM)mrwednesday Wrote:  That makes me feel much better. I'll give the chase a try and just keep hanging in there. The last game I just played against hard AI I was about 15 turns from having a fleet that could match up before they barreled through.

I have added you to the ranks. I would send a friend request to one of the guys listed and get a game going. Dorjan24 or myself would be a good start. Vanderlegion and Elph are top notch players and can offer a lot of advice.

-------
05-02-2012, 02:30 AM
Question on starbases. Lets say I have already built starbases on all my planets and then I get some new tech and decide to put a new weapon on my starbases. Does it automatically give all my starbases the newest tech?.. Because I don't see a way to update the starbases if it doesn't.

GC- MiiikeT
Always up for a game

Sandbox(beta)- MonkSRb
Regular: MessiTheMessiah10(just changed my GC id from MonkSR)