Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SO app store rating
04-12-2012, 03:03 AM
SO app store rating
This game is now the 238th rated strategy game on the app store I don't know how these things are rated though. But for me to find it in one of my casual 'top rated fames' searches was brilliant. And now I think the sales will rise incredibly because this game is much easier to find.
Go Rocco!!!!

GC - Sarducar_Dun
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2012, 03:43 AM
RE: SO app store rating
Keep rating SO on the AppStore! You guys are the #1 reason SO updates keep coming, and top AppStore ratings is one of the best ways to show it.
04-12-2012, 05:51 AM
Is there a problem with the review/starring capability in the app? I am not sure.

When I go to my list of multiplayer games, there is a "tap to rate" box and I can choose between zero and five stars. From session to session, the app remembers how many stars I selected, so it's not resetting that or anything.

The problem I see is that there doesn't seem to be any way to click "submit" or get taken to the app store to write a review, so I am not sure that my in-game rating is actually getting pushed out. Also, the starring UI makes it very easy to unintentionally alter the number of stars you selected with a casual fingertip, any time you are on that screen.

Is it working correctly? If it is, maybe incorporate a submit button pop-up or something? Or even take it off the screen once someone submits a rating? Or maybe only once they submit a five-star rating... Smile

Clearly, I went to the app store myself, gave five stars and wrote a glowing review... but taking a look at the starring mechanism might help out too.

---
GC: CliffTheScript
04-12-2012, 06:01 AM
(04-12-2012 05:51 AM)CliffTheScript Wrote:  Is there a problem with the review/starring capability in the app? I am not sure.

When I go to my list of multiplayer games, there is a "tap to rate" box and I can choose between zero and five stars. From session to session, the app remembers how many stars I selected, so it's not resetting that or anything.

The problem I see is that there doesn't seem to be any way to click "submit" or get taken to the app store to write a review, so I am not sure that my in-game rating is actually getting pushed out. Also, the starring UI makes it very easy to unintentionally alter the number of stars you selected with a casual fingertip, any time you are on that screen.

Is it working correctly? If it is, maybe incorporate a submit button pop-up or something? Or even take it off the screen once someone submits a rating? Or maybe only once they submit a five-star rating... Smile

Clearly, I went to the app store myself, gave five stars and wrote a glowing review... but taking a look at the starring mechanism might help out too.

I'm assuming you're talking about you rlist of multiplayer games in game center? Game center has it's own separate rating system for games that's not related to the app store rating at all, so if you rate it in one, it doesn't rate in the other. The app store rating is the one that really matters, which, as you did, requires going into the actual app store to do.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
04-12-2012, 06:05 AM
(04-12-2012 06:01 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  
(04-12-2012 05:51 AM)CliffTheScript Wrote:  Is there a problem with the review/starring capability in the app? I am not sure.

I'm assuming you're talking about you rlist of multiplayer games in game center? Game center has it's own separate rating system for games that's not related to the app store rating at all, so if you rate it in one, it doesn't rate in the other. The app store rating is the one that really matters, which, as you did, requires going into the actual app store to do.

Oh. Yes. I did not know that, but I am certainly talking about the Gamecenter rating.

Maybe there should be some sort of in-app App Center rating capability?

---
GC: CliffTheScript
04-12-2012, 06:29 AM
(04-12-2012 06:01 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  I'm assuming you're talking about you rlist of multiplayer games in game center? Game center has it's own separate rating system for games that's not related to the app store rating at all, so if you rate it in one, it doesn't rate in the other. The app store rating is the one that really matters, which, as you did, requires going into the actual app store to do.

Wow. I didn't know the rating in GameCenter was independent of the App Store rating. I thought it was like the old-school ratings which used to pop up in iOS for a simple star rating, using it for the star average without actually adding a review. What does it use the GameCenter rating for?

That said, I have made it a point to leave written reviews for this game in the App Store and will continue to do so. It is the least I could do.

GCID: Bruin; Sandbox: Bru-test-in
04-12-2012, 07:42 AM
(04-12-2012 06:29 AM)Bruin Wrote:  
(04-12-2012 06:01 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  I'm assuming you're talking about you rlist of multiplayer games in game center? Game center has it's own separate rating system for games that's not related to the app store rating at all, so if you rate it in one, it doesn't rate in the other. The app store rating is the one that really matters, which, as you did, requires going into the actual app store to do.

Wow. I didn't know the rating in GameCenter was independent of the App Store rating. I thought it was like the old-school ratings which used to pop up in iOS for a simple star rating, using it for the star average without actually adding a review. What does it use the GameCenter rating for?

That said, I have made it a point to leave written reviews for this game in the App Store and will continue to do so. It is the least I could do.

As far as I know, the GC rating is just so you can look through games on game center and see how people rated them without going to the app store, though given that they're separate ratings, who knows how the two actually compare.

I make it a policy to go to the app store and 5 star and write a review while I'm downloading the update every time a new version comes out.

04-12-2012, 08:05 AM
(04-12-2012 07:42 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  As far as I know, the GC rating is just so you can look through games on game center and see how people rated them without going to the app store, though given that they're separate ratings, who knows how the two actually compare.

So you've actually seen that they are separate? That is so strange. From a programming standpoint, I can't imagine why Apple wouldn't have simply used the Game Center rating to factor into the generic rating in the App Store and use App Store ratings in the Game Center.

(04-12-2012 07:42 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  I make it a policy to go to the app store and 5 star and write a review while I'm downloading the update every time a new version comes out.

Agreed completely here. If someone wants to show appreciation for a game (or app in general), leaving a good written review is among the finest ways to go about doing it.

GCID: Bruin; Sandbox: Bru-test-in
04-12-2012, 08:11 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2012 08:12 AM by VanderLegion.)
(04-12-2012 08:05 AM)Bruin Wrote:  
(04-12-2012 07:42 AM)VanderLegion Wrote:  As far as I know, the GC rating is just so you can look through games on game center and see how people rated them without going to the app store, though given that they're separate ratings, who knows how the two actually compare.

So you've actually seen that they are separate? That is so strange. From a programming standpoint, I can't imagine why Apple wouldn't have simply used the Game Center rating to factor into the generic rating in the App Store and use App Store ratings in the Game Center.

I haven't actually looked at them to see for sure, that's just what I remember was said when the GC rating system was implemented. It also makes sense given the fact that there's no way to write a written review or anything from GC.

Quote:Agreed completely here. If someone wants to show appreciation for a game (or app in general), leaving a good written review is among the finest ways to go about doing it.
I also will frequently go into the app store when I'm bored and go through the reviews and mark 5 star/good reviews as helpful to get em to show first (not that there's a lotta bad reviews to worry about, but). i'll also mark bad reviews that don't know what they're talking about as unhelpful.

04-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Another piece of evidence of them not being linked is that you can rate games in the sandbox game center that aren't actually ON the app store, which I imagine would cause errors or crashes if it also rated it on the app store.