Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Standard Race tournament 1.1.3
01-19-2013, 02:22 AM
RE: Standard Race tournament 1.1.3
Would be cool to do

3ffa + ai tournament so we can have fun with diplomacy.... But at least a turn/day I say... Hate game that slows down or just dies
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2013, 07:59 AM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2013 08:01 AM by macaronnie.)
(01-18-2013 10:11 PM)MarcusVictor Wrote:  Will there ever be another tournament? Suggest Medium galaxy, standard config, players who are committed to playing quickly only... so things move along. Maybe after 1.1.8 release?

Would be interesting Smile Perhaps a rule to have, say, more than 72 hrs delay = automatic loss (with one or two longer timeouts allowed per player per game, if requested in advance) would help with people disappearing?
I also think double elimination would be better, to make things a bit less random.

Medium/standard sounds about right. Maybe even Quick.
BTW: how do the turns work in the FFA? It seems that the turns go in a circle, even though they actually happen simultaneously. This makes those games really slow -- is it a GC limitation?
01-19-2013, 12:18 PM
(01-19-2013 07:59 AM)macaronnie Wrote:  
(01-18-2013 10:11 PM)MarcusVictor Wrote:  Will there ever be another tournament? Suggest Medium galaxy, standard config, players who are committed to playing quickly only... so things move along. Maybe after 1.1.8 release?

Would be interesting Smile Perhaps a rule to have, say, more than 72 hrs delay = automatic loss (with one or two longer timeouts allowed per player per game, if requested in advance) would help with people disappearing?
I also think double elimination would be better, to make things a bit less random.

Medium/standard sounds about right. Maybe even Quick.
BTW: how do the turns work in the FFA? It seems that the turns go in a circle, even though they actually happen simultaneously. This makes those games really slow -- is it a GC limitation?

Yes, when you submit a turn to game center in the code, you're required to list the next player, so it get's sent to that player. Only the currently active player is allowed to modify the match data (e.g. take their turn) at a given time. If rocco does end up eventually moving away from GC for the multiplayer after the kickstarter, it would be entirely possible for him to set up a multiplayer implementation if he wanted to that allowed anyone who hadn't taken their turn you for the current round to log in, take their turn and submit it (with a check that the data hasn't changed since it was downloaded to take the turn), then whenever the last person took their turn it would kick off the turn rollover and send notifications out to everyone that there was a new turn ready.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
01-19-2013, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2013 01:18 PM by rocco.)
VL is exactly right. The "only one person can have the turn stick" thing is a GC limitation ( consequence of them needing to write a single framework that works for all ). SO was originally written (and still remains this way under the hood) to allow for true simultaneous turn taking.

I imagine that post kickstarter games would be much more fluid; you would enter your game and be taken to a real-time chat room. Each player's status would be listed (online/offline/turn already taken/turn needing to be taken), turn time countdown (assuming you set one). if you all happen to be online at the same time, then you'd be able to plow through turns quite quickly. And if not, then you can still join and play your turn whenever you can, getting a notification each time you can take another turn.

Another cool thing that can happen post kickstarter is that I will duplicate the entire game logic on the server; so if it needs adjustments, fixes, or whatever I don't have to wait for Apple review, I can just tweak the server. I'd also be able to (finally) manually fix any stuck MP games. It would also 100% rule out cheating. It will allow for truly competitive games, which opens the door for ELO rankings.

And on the OP topic, it would even allow for automated, server-driven tournaments.

I better get to making a really good KS video!
07-23-2013, 01:05 AM
should we review this tournament idea with the new release 1.2.1
04-27-2014, 12:31 PM
:cool:How can I be added to the next tournament?
10-13-2014, 02:59 PM
I would like to participate in a tournament or competition of some sort but I'm not sure if im I the right place. Can someone point me in the right direction.
10-13-2014, 03:20 PM
(10-13-2014 02:59 PM)Crusader57301 Wrote:  I would like to participate in a tournament or competition of some sort but I'm not sure if im I the right place. Can someone point me in the right direction.

There's a 1v1 league in the E-Sports Sanctuary that's currently in the middle of season 3. You could jump in when the next season starts. There's also a 2v2 league that's currently midseason. Again, you could jump into the next season if you get a partner. There's also occasional one-off tournaments that crop up as well. All of it happens in the esports sanctuary, so keep an eye on that.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion